Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 is new to me but I need to here her growl

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

On my '96 I removed the resonator and replaced with a X pipe from MagnaFlow; had an exhaust shop weld it in place.

I had MagnaFlow mufflers...(I think they were)...with the dual round tips....lots of drone...removed them and went with the LT1 tip mufflers from Corvette Central.
Then changed them for eliminators..!!!

Wife says too loud...will not ride in car....darn!.....been three years now and still like the sound.

The neighbors know when I leave my house.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:26 AM
NoTyme
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I ordered an Magnaflow X pipe and with the snow melting I made it into my muffler shop... low and behold the Magnaflow X pipe was to wide for the Vett. The shop did produce it own X pipe and made the installation even having to drop the cross frame stiffeners and I find that I did get a louder idle rumble and not much (if any) louder at highway speed... Not sure if I want to take it any farther because or my car being a convertible. I will make that decision when warm weather come and we can ride with the top down.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you eliminate the central resonator guess what's going to happen ........ yes, you will get resonance in the cabin. If you go back and read 10 years worth of posts on this subject you will find that there are only .......... 2 ........... systems that do not produce resonance in the late model C4.

The full Corsa system and the stock corvette system.

I suggest that you keep your stock exhaust and instead install long tube headers. Your exhaust will sound deeper and more of a rumble.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
If you eliminate the central resonator guess what's going to happen ........ yes, you will get resonance in the cabin. If you go back and read 10 years worth of posts on this subject you will find that there are only .......... 2 ........... systems that do not produce resonance in the late model C4.

I suggest that you keep your stock exhaust and instead install long tube headers. Your exhaust will sound deeper and more of a rumble.
Thanks there Peabody. So far what little I have drove the car since the X pipe install I hear no drone. I have read back 15 pages so far and my eyes became dried out, LOL.
I am thinking that because I have a convertible if that might make the difference between drone or no drone. I always referred to drone as interior resonance. Since I have a soft top could that make a difference?
Time will tell...
Old 03-31-2015, 06:05 PM
ricasso
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody

All I can say is forget all that Magnaflow stuff, forget about Eliminators, get a bit more cash together and get the best..Corsa's! I junked my Eliminator's a couple of years ago for the full Corsa catback.. best thing I ever did! it's everything people say it is, a real classy system, trust me you wont regret it, if you went with Magnaflow you would forever be thinking "what if I had gone with the Corsa's instead?" dont your car deserve the best?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:16 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

As soon as you deviate away from the stock mufflers, it is going to get pretty loud and if you are a little older- you will probably hate it for longer drives. For chump change you can do a resonator-ectomy and get a little growl and a little bit more exhaust flow. The mufflers will still restrict the total power output, but on my 91, I got a hold of a magnaflow x-pipe. I dumped the chrome can that goes along with their x-pipe (ground clearance issues) and just used the x-pipe part. This is a ZR-1 pipe set which is 2.7" rather than the normal 2.5", but other than that the LT1 pipes are nearly the same.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Corsa is the way to go.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
Before you go with building a system, listen to a CORSA exhaust on an LT1/4. They make a full stainless system from the cats back that sounds great On the other hand, I loved the Flowmasters on my 84 too. Many think they are too loud but FAST is good, LOUD is better and FAST and LOUD is best!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:24 AM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the 96 lt4 exhaust was the best stk exhaust .the resonator didn't neck down like the previous years . it also had a balance tube just behind the rear end that did wonders for the drone. I found on my zr1 that the corsa made my car 3 tenths and 2.5 miles an hr slower at the drag strip vs what I have now which is a 96 with a summit 3in narrow xpipe which cost me 100 dollars and fit perfect. I bought the 96 set up for 100 from 20th street corvette recyclers in phoenix. now I have a nice sounding exhaust that is quiet when I cruise and doesn't wake every cop for a mile around when I get on it . don't get me wrong corsa is nice but 1200 for a exhaust system is just too much for me to spend. I sold my corsa which came with my car for 800 and used that to put 410 gears in the car which really helped out the acceleration too at the strip.. jmho

Quick Reply: 96 is new to me but I need to here her growl