C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 trend of late.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 PM
85orangecrusher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 trend of late.

What are you guys doing with your C4 vettes these days?

modifying them trying to keep up with the new model of cars out there performance wise?

with how old they are now they are considered a classic are you returning them to stock and just applying wax?

are you just putting wheel and tires on and maybe a spoiler?

Which direction are th C4 vettes going?

For me I have put a few cheap bolt ons on, wheels and tire, and just drive it. I know that if I dumped a bunch of money into the engine it would more than likely just be an average runner against the new vette. I could sell it and get a new one but I will jus look like a tool driving a young mans vette with the gray hair showing up looking desperate in a midlife crisis. I would sooner just buy a new pickup.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:03 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I'm keeping my '86 Coupe mostly stock. Since buying it new I have replaced some of the usual things like alternator, starter, ECM, mufflers, exhaust pipes, tires, carpeting, and antenna.
I'm at the point where I don't care to put a lot of modification money into it to make it faster. My two C1s keep me busy and broke also.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Last year: Rotors/pads Rear suspension bushings Shocks front/rear Double din headunit Valve cover gaskets Rear diff fluid Borla cat back Re dyed steering wheel Sanded/polished wheels Rear wheel bearings Think that's it...
Currently: Stripped it down and it's out for paint.
Future: Put 3.07 rear in I have U-joints while I do rear end Hi flow intake Headers/high flow cat Minor seat repair Hopefully that is all.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,447 Posts

There have been a couple who have added led light effects. I think it looks cool.

Couple guys getting the center stereo Dash bezel modified to put a double din touchscreen deck in.

There has been a few guys looking to put newer vetted rims on the c4 sometimes using spacers sometimes not. Anything pre 88 will usually need a spacer unless u r using z-r1 rims from c4. I'm in this camp as I think the c4 is still an awesome looking car today save the rims which scream from the Era.

The other trend I see on here is to buy an old beat up one and fix it up!!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

My car will remain totally stock with the possible exception of a ring and pinion swap.

Most guys who heavily mod C4s do a crappy job. Occasionally a guy will come along and blow me away with a beautiful and tasteful theme. I love when that happens.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm keeping my 96 CE as stock as possible with the exception of better tires, lights and a cat-back that looks close to stock. I felt the need for speed on my 84 and modded the heck out of the engine but, it looked stock.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

For my current C4, I'm just after keeping it in the ballpark of the base C7, at least in a straight. Who knows if the hp bug bites me hard enough after I put some new goodies that will be coming my way on, maybe I'll supercharge it afterward.

Bodywise, I'm thinking a wing or maybe duck tail spoiler, and the carbonfiber hood that's popped up on here, with two bahama blue stripes on the center of the cowl.
Already have the wheels I want. ZR sport muscle 18"s.

Somewhere either between the coming engine work (and going up to a dart 400 with forged internals), and bodywork, I'm probably going to upgrade the brakes, with a set of wilwoods, or maybe C6 ZO6 brakes.

I'm probably going to replace my kenwood stereo with a double din unit.

Attachment 48368243 as she sits right now.

as she'll be after the hood and before the striping.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Trend

86 Vert 4x3 stock,( after help from forum members) Fixing my "Bubba" wiring problems, Wife's 90 coupe , bought used, came with Power Effects side pipes....Rebuilt them, Polished her C5 aluminum rims. and serviced everything. Keeping that the way it is. Looks a lot better than my old 86 lol....Got that "Gray Hair" problem...I like stock. Fix em, Drive em...Now if the 8" of snow(and more coming) would melt......Ziggy
Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

About 700hp + 300 Shot with most mods that must accommodate, plus a few extras suspension etc, it might hang with those pesky grocery getters and new power house supercharged cars.

Still a green C4 though

Never bought a regular old C4 to have as a stock car. A great platform not a great collector IMO. Unless Zr1 of course and maybe GS.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:43 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
About 700hp + 300 Shot with most mods that must accommodate, plus a few extras suspension etc, it might hang with those pesky grocery getters and new power house supercharged cars.

Still a green C4 though

Never bought a regular old C4 to have as a stock car. A great platform not a great collector IMO. Unless Zr1 of course and maybe GS.
you gotta post pics and video of your car sometime.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dt86
Last year: Rotors/pads Rear suspension bushings Shocks front/rear Double din headunit Valve cover gaskets Rear diff fluid Borla cat back Re dyed steering wheel Sanded/polished wheels Rear wheel bearings Think that's it... Currently: Stripped it down and it's out for paint. Future: Put 3.07 rear in I have U-joints while I do rear end Hi flow intake Headers/high flow cat Minor seat repair Hopefully that is all.
Knew I forgot something...
Upgraded to the later style bolt on egr exhaust manifold. Good riddance oetiker clamp!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I wanted a Z51 L98 stick because it's a lot a fun for a modest amount of money and by todays standards it's not electroniced to death so it's not beyond repairing yourself for the most part. I found a blue on blue (blue was a color that was high on my list) '85. The car has headers, a cat back exhaust, J55 brakes, and 17" ZR1 wheels. All mods that I wanted. That was just by chance. I will continue to mod it (mildly) and keep it safe and reliable. These cars are 30 years old and they will need upkeep. I think you can have a Corvette that's fun to drive and stay under 10K. I don't think a C5 can be found it decent condition with less than 100k miles for that kind of money. Besides I believe it's a lot harder for the "backyard mechanic" to fix.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hot modified 95 m6 driven every single day as a primary car
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 85orangecrusher
I could sell it and get a new one but I will jus look like a tool driving a young mans vette with the gray hair showing up looking desperate in a midlife crisis. I would sooner just buy a new pickup.
The new Corvettes are anything BUT a young man's Vette.
They are an OLD man's Vette...so you'd fit right in!

The young car enthusiasts of today were raised on VW's and Toyotas. They do not aspire to Corvettes, they aspire to Hondas and Nissans and BMW's and Audi's.

I have long since addressed all the shortcomings on my '96 and now just keep it waxed. Other than HRE wheels, it looks stock on the outside; the changes are all under-the-skin and are performance-oriented.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16

The new Corvettes are anything BUT a young man's Vette.
They are an OLD man's Vette...so you'd fit right in!

The young car enthusiasts of today were raised on VW's and Toyotas. They do not aspire to Corvettes, they aspire to Hondas and Nissans and BMW's and Audi's.

I have long since addressed all the shortcomings on my '96 and now just keep it waxed. Other than HRE wheels, it looks stock on the outside; the changes are all under-the-skin and are performance-oriented.
There are few young C4 owners on this forum. And in the C5/C6 sections also. I bought my first C4 two months before my 17th birthday.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Very light resto-modding or darn near completely stock depending on the year. If you want to go fast for cheap, a C5 or C6 is probably cheaper in the long run. I like the C4 for what they are- 300-400hp cars. More than that and they tend to be out of harmony with the brakes and chassis they come with.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 AM
BigMac2395
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Last year: Rotors/pads Rear suspension bushings Shocks front/rear Double din headunit Valve cover gaskets Rear diff fluid Borla cat back Re dyed steering wheel Sanded/polished wheels Rear wheel bearings Think that's it...
Currently: Stripped it down and it's out for paint.
Future: Put 3.07 rear in I have U-joints while I do rear end Hi flow intake Headers/high flow cat Minor seat repair Hopefully that is all.
How do you like the Borla system? Is there much drone when cruising on the hwy? I am debating between Borla and Corsa for my 1996.
Thanks for your input.....

Russell

Get notified of new replies

To C4 trend of late.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigMac2395
How do you like the Borla system? Is there much drone when cruising on the hwy? I am debating between Borla and Corsa for my 1996. Thanks for your input..... Russell
It sounded great but droned on the highway. I just had to fix it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xperience.html

Very happy now.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:07 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I have a stock 95 ZR-1 with low mileage and I plan to keep it stock (though I do plan to drive the can whenever time allows).
Old 02-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Well, I am one that likes to modify my C4. Jus wish I had the money to actually do my "want list".

Next on my list is D44 3:73's or 4:10's.
(Anybody want my D44 3:07?)

Then,
Melrose C4 LS1 long tube headers. Then I can redo my exhaust from the headers back. And install my Borla car bat that I already own, jus sitting in garage waiting to be installed.

If I could get all that accomplished it would transform my car drivability wise and sound.

Then I'm taking it to Cordes n Mesa and gonna do heads n cam. (After I win a small lottery tho) lol.

Currently has stock LS1 with ZF6sp slammed on 19in CCW's.

Quick Reply: C4 trend of late.