C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Working on my "Bucket List"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Working on my "Bucket List"

Continuing to work on my personal bucket list. Got my '88 Vette years ago and recently went to the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Now I am seriously thinking about going to the Indy 500 in May. I had originally thought about going to qualifying but now am looking at the actual race. I realize that I can see it better on TV, but it's the idea of actually being there once for the race that appeals to me. I have previously been around the track and went through the museum. I also am thinking about stopping by the NCM on the way back since I haven't been there since the sinkhole tragedy. Anyway, wondered if any experienced Indy 500 attendees might have have suggestions for a newbie. Thanks in advance for any hints!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Turn 3 at Indy, a high seat, is a good place to watch the race from! There is no additional charge for being able to see all the way down the front straight.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Thanks, Z51. I am a little confused though about how you can see all the way down the front straight from the 3rd turn. Here is the view from the upper section of 3rd turn using the Indy link

http://www.seats3d.com/racetracks/in...=GG#/level_15/

Did you really mean being able to see down the back stretch (this shows up good in the panoramic view above)? I was also looking a similar seat at the exit of turn 4 which seems to show the short chute from 3-4 and the front stretch. Historically, there seems to be a lot of action in this part. From going to Daytona, Darlington and other tracks, the biggest problem with a lot of seats is that you don't see the cars as they come by your location because they are close to the wall and out of view.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Indy

Turn 3 has the jumbo tron tv...but you can see half of 1 and 2 ....The whole backstretch and 3 an 4....Also the snake pit is right across from turn 3....bring binoculars. ....and book your room now !!!!!!!! Been going for last 15 years...It's a real adventure. ...
Old 02-25-2015, 06:31 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

If you liked the Rolex 24, you'll LOVE Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. 12 hours of Sebring is pretty awesome too! I'm going to Sebring this year, did Petit last year, and will probably go back this year. The real question is do I go to the VIR race...
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go forth and have fun. Book a hotel ASAP. We stayed out of town once, but spent the night before the race in the car, in the yard of one of the houses on Georgetown Rd across the street from the track (they rent parking spots to race goers) had a really fun late night party. Being from the west, I didn't realize how close together stuff is; Chicago is less than two hours away.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you can no longer access Georgetown road from Crawfordsville Rd/16th street. They put in a roundabout there, but cut off Georgetown road for whatever reason. I had a load going to Coca Cola. Went down Crawfordsville rd. and had to go back up the way I came. Had to go to the first stoplight, then turn right toward the track. I am talking about the south west side of the track, near their headquarters. To park on the north side, or the coca cola lot, you gotta access it from 38th street side. (from 465) I live about 7 miles from the track, maybe 3 from where they have the US Nationals. I would invite forum members over for a afternoon of hotdogs and beer, but wife is in Hospice at this time.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM
cuengineer
Pro

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. I did thoroughly enjoy the Rolex 24, as did my wife, even though it was pretty cool the first day and overnight for Daytona in late Jan. Raceday Sunday was beautiful though. We especially being able to move around through the infield and grandstands. After sitting in numerous places, we found our "best seats" toward the NASCAR first turn in the area between where the cars enter and exit the infield section. I may make it to Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta later this year, especially since it is less than 90 miles away. I have been there before and really like the way the track is like a real road course with gradient changes, various curves and a long straight. Having learned to drive in a '57 MGA, I appreciate the handling aspects as well as the speed. Probably will not make it to Sebring because of the timing so will watch it on TV.

The logistical info on the Indy situation is much appreciated. I have a room reserved so am good to go on that. The info on parking and actually getting to the track is most helpful as I wondered how early I need to try to get to track and how difficult the traffic will be, especially for a newbie, i.e., when is the worse traffic and how far does it back up?

Ghoastrider, sorry to hear about your wife and wish you both the best.

I am getting excited about the trip and being there. Just dread dealing with the crowd getting to the track. After all, I am a small town guy. Hope the weather will be nice so the race will be on time.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

From the 465 loop & I65 north, Chicago is 172 miles away. IN state police like that stretch of interstate from Indy up to I94 north of Schererville IN. Suggest taking your time on that run otherwise you will get "lit up". Been there-done that more than once
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a big bunch of everybody who likes what you like...kinda like the Super Bowl with only one team. Indy has much less individual team fans than say a NASCAR race or the Brickyard 400. As far as traffic, they used to turn some roads (Crawfordsville Rd?) into one ways going away from the track after the race. Take a raincoat....
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM
cuengineer
Pro

Interesting about the fans. I tend to pull for (or against) certain Indybcar teams, but which ones change based on the situation, i.e., who is racing hard, team and sponsor, points situation, etc. I guess it's like they say, "The greatest SPECTACLE in racing." It may not be the "best" race but different from any other and so much history. I hate the thought of it possibly raining but plan to take a good poncho in case. Can you take any kind of cooler in like at other races? I haven't seen any info on that.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:39 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Go to the NCM in May.

May 14-16 C4 Gathering
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM
cuengineer
Pro

I won't be able to make the Gathering -- have to work so I can make the Indy trip. I plan to stop by going or coming back from Indy since it is only an hour or so out of the way. I visited the NCM not long before the sinkhole incident but have not been back since.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Default bucket list

When ordering tickets for "Indy" Get "coke" parking, wear good walking shoes. And sneak to the fence at end of bleachers In turn "3". Turbo charged Chevys and those Hondas running at 200 MPH...Makes you're toes curl....Ready to leave now......LOL
Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Cannot figure out where the "coke" parking is from the web link at:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...ing/tailgating

Maybe because I am a "Pepsi, please!" person. I can imagine the sounds are awesome, especially down close with the high RPM. Reminds me to put on my list to bring good ear plugs, too.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Default Indy

Lot 1B is "Coke" parking, Lot 1C is the camping lot. All sorts of strange things happen in 1C...We have race scanner radios. Can rent at track, or buy from Radio Shack. They pick up every car an pit communication or the race, an race control. Bring sunblock...There are trees behind turn 3 to take a break.

Get notified of new replies

To Working on my "Bucket List"

Quick Reply: Working on my "Bucket List"