My DIY Paint Project Started with Rattle can - Epic Fail - Now Roll on

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:27 AM
NATIYATI
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DIY Paint Project Started with Rattle can - Epic Fail - Now Roll on

Hi guys.

As embarrased as I am to admit it I tried to rattle can paint my 1984 C4 and it turned into an epic fail.

Sooooo...

I after much research I am now going to try the cheapo roll plan...

THIS time prep work is the key......

I have been working on it for a week and started by stripping all the paint off.

I read what every one said about using chemicals and did it anyway and it worked pretty good..

Im working on primer now and making sure every surface is smooth as a babys ***..

I do have a question. On last two pics you will see this cobblestone looking stuff on back bumper. How do i get rid of it and get it smooth?

Coule days after i bought it. 1984 C4 with 56,000 original miles. Runs and drives like brand new

Here is how it looked after rattle can. Poor camera but trust me it sucked

Rattle can

Getting the paint off

Getting primer on

Starting to look pretty good (at least every surface is almost smooth)

What is this cobblestone looking stuff on back bumper and how do i get rid of it and get it smooth?

Again how do I get that to smooth out?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NATIYATI
Hi guys.

As embarrased as I am to admit it I tried to rattle can paint my 1984 C4 and it turned into an epic fail.

Sooooo...

I after much research I am now going to try the cheapo roll plan...

THIS time prep work is the key......

I have been working on it for a week and started by stripping all the paint off.

I read what every one said about using chemicals and did it anyway and it worked pretty good..

Im working on primer now and making sure every surface is smooth as a babys ***..

I do have a question. On last two pics you will see this cobblestone looking stuff on back bumper. How do i get rid of it and get it smooth?

Coule days after i bought it. 1984 C4 with 56,000 original miles. Runs and drives like brand new

Here is how it looked after rattle can. Poor camera but trust me it sucked

Rattle can

Getting the paint off

Getting primer on

Starting to look pretty good (at least every surface is almost smooth)

What is this cobblestone looking stuff on back bumper and how do i get rid of it and get it smooth?

Again how do I get that to smooth out?
OMG "Better Get Maaco"
Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM
NATIYATI
Cruising

Ha Ha.. screw maaco. Ill do a better job than they will. This is my first Vette. I had a Bricklin SV1 For years. It was made to compete against the corvette in the mid 70's. I had the car 10 years. Sold it four years ago. And it was VERY reliable although only got about 10 miles to the gallon. It was much faster than this Vette BEFORE I put the cobra kit on it and dual four barrels. This C4 drives much better. Im hooked. I will always have a vette. Looking at a 1986 model I might buy. Here is a pic of the Bricklin I used to have.

And it didnt have any paint on it to worry about!!!!

Color impregegnated polypropylyne panels. If I got a scratch or whatever on it I just wet sanded, buffed and polished it out. Just like new.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a lot of sanding work...and you need more to smooth it out. Shame to do all that effort for a roller.

Suggestion: Harbor Freight 68843 is a killer gun for $60, and Dupli Color Paint Shop primer, lacquer, and clear, are $25 each a can at most auto parts stores. Rent a compressor for $20; even if you spray outside, the paint will be better and less work than a roller job. You would learn while doing this. You can move up in price and paint quality from there. High schools and vo tech students will often do them for the cost of paint.

Consult YouTube, but stay off the paint car with a roller channel.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 AM
NATIYATI
Cruising

Update. I decided yesterday to spray it... ANd OH MY GOD its a lot of sanding work. ALmost 40 hours worth at least so farIll shoot it in my garage. Ive painted cars before. Been a while. Not rocket science. I disagree on the paint choice you suggested though. Duplicor takes too long to dry. And I need it to flash pretty quick and it cold as hell here although i can heat my garage to about 60 degrees using a few heaters.

Is there anyone in the Dallas area might be kind enough to loan/rent me a gun and compressor ???
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Shag
Intermediate

Cobblestone stuff looks like fiberglass. Just have to keep sanding. That's the worst part. Not so bad if you are using a electric sander. I have no patience for body work. Rolling a car does come out OK. Just have to dilute the paint with mineral spirits. Then 5-7 coats.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:04 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Nope, I am in agreement with the other guy. Get macco at this point. if you can't afford it done right, and lets be honest you tried to rattle can this car. Forget it. It's sanded and some what prepped. Call them and let them know.

Sure they are "macco" but guess what ??? This is what they do for a living and they are still in business after many decades. Probably better body man there than most back yard body shops. You can get a decent paint job there if you want to pay for it. The idea is though to save people lots of money.

I am sure you have close to what you could have spent at macco already in to this MISTAKE.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

I usually do not reply to this kind of thread but as a very old retired spray painter with a lifetime of experience I will say. You have a mess on your hands, and you have wasted allot of time and effort. Painting a Vette should be left to professionals. So be it.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
NATIYATI
Cruising

The unbelievers!!!!

I have this thing that I like to do things just to see if I can or because I havnt done it before. For example Im a network engineer by trade and yet last year took on a construction management position and built million dollar townhouses in the Heights part of Houston just to see if i could. Granted I had a couple of "learning experiences" and pissed off a few inspectors but I "got her done" (pics of one of the townhouses I did, duplex, each side sold for half a million below)

One more final sand of 2000 and ready for paint...

I like to do things myself. Just to prove I can. Car ready for paint....

Old 02-28-2015, 04:25 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I'll tell you this much. I like your attitude.

In fact I think there was a chicken farmer also from Texas who didn't take no for answer and ended up building a few cars
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Default You are a slow learner.

Originally Posted by NATIYATI
The unbelievers!!!!

I have this thing that I like to do things just to see if I can or because I havnt done it before. For example Im a network engineer by trade and yet last year took on a construction management position and built million dollar townhouses in the Heights part of Houston just to see if i could. Granted I had a couple of "learning experiences" and pissed off a few inspectors but I "got her done" (pics of one of the townhouses I did, duplex, each side sold for half a million below)

One more final sand of 2000 and ready for paint...

I like to do things myself. Just to prove I can. Car ready for paint....

The reason I seldom reply to threads like these is that a one time painter knows that he can do better than us old pros. I cant build townhouses but I sure knew how to turn out a first class paint job. Dub and Porchdog are kind enough to help out on the paint and body forum. I repeat that you have a helluv a mess on your hands, You may be a great house builder but you do not know jacksh-t about painting a car. Good luck, Take your car to a good body shop. I should not have wasted my time responding to your thread.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:43 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I probably wouldn't worry so much about the cobblestone. I would spray on a sandable primer, get it all smoothed out and then shoot it. You should be able to rent a compressor and get a decent gun from HF. Less than $100 investment for both.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't know what kind of sander you are using, but a friend who used to paint cars & Vans, has a linear air sander.It has a big flat surface that moves back & forth in a straight line like a big flat file. It is about 18" long that will make any surface as smooth and flat as a plate of glass. It's the length that helps level out all the little bumps and waves. Car paint shops probably will have them.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"I have this thing that I like to do things just to see if I can or because I havnt done it before."

Go for it. An "old pro" definitely knows more than you do and his advice is probably true, but he's not you. And it's not his car. Spray it or roll it - doesn't matter, just get enough material down to smooth out later. Couple of coats of clear and a lot of elbow grease and fine cut compound and make it shiny. Have fun and take time to step back often to admire your work.

After all, it's a C4 Corvette and nobody but us true believers and addicts think they're worth anything. Enjoy yourself. Post pictures - lots of them. We're on your side.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I with you paint it your-self ive painted a few cars over the years but im no expert. ive got a friend that is a body man, says that base/clear is very forgiving if you mess up let dry sand and redo. I painted my 85 last year not show car perfect but better than it was

not to bad for a 300.00 dollar paint job
Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Well, I am confused. I am not saying you don't have the ability. I am saying you have not showed the interest in doing it right by doing the proper research and so you do not have the knowledge. I would suggest going to the paint and body forum. A heavy primer can fix a lot of the problems, but you need to learn a lot before doing this again.

There are plenty of people that have sprayed cars before even with cheap paint if you can keep the area blocked off from dirt and know how to buff properly you certainly can make it look better than an old stock paint job for sure.

It's all in the foundation and now you have made a mess of the foundation with whatever you have been sanding with.

This can turn out real good if you stop now and take the time to talk to the people who know how to do it step by step and tell you the proper grits and materials to use in what stages.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"I am saying you have not showed the interest in doing it right by doing the proper research and so you do not have the knowledge....but you need to learn a lot before doing this again."

OMG!!! What a f---ing idiot you are! Shame on you for diving into a project without thoroughly researching it. Look at all the time you have wasted!!!

Did you have any fun? I sure would have...

BTW - chevyman_ky - I love your car!

Get notified of new replies

To My DIY Paint Project Started with Rattle can - Epic Fail - Now Roll on

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 PM
NATIYATI
Cruising

So far so good!!!

First coat ROLLED on.

Used an airbrush to cut in and detail and that thing is the SHIZNIT for real!!!!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I like your go for it attitude. I don't understand all the negativity. Of course pros will do it better and do it right. But some people like to try things and learn from trial and error. Its a 30 year old car! And worst comes to worst, he ends up sucking it up and getting it painted by a pro after failures. If you're learning and enjoying the process and it isn't a massive financial burden, why not give it a shot? I would have recommended doing a bit more research, and what I've learned by listening to pros is it really comes down to preparation first and foremost.

I can say that's even true on a tiny scale, like scale car models, which is about the extent of my painting experience. But I've learned a lot of principles that do seem to translate - not that I'd try to paint a Corvette other than a bit of touch-up work. I'd want it done right, and my best effort would be sub-par.

Your car, your choice. Good luck, man. Takes a lot of guts to come on here and admit how you messed up.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 02-28-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:18 AM
NATIYATI
Cruising

[QUOTE=ccrvtt;1589075485]"I am saying you have not showed the interest in doing it right by doing the proper research and so you do not have the knowledge....but you need to learn a lot before doing this again."

OMG!!! What a f---ing idiot you are! Shame on you for diving into a project without thoroughly researching it. Look at all the time you have wasted!!!

Did you have any fun? I sure would have...

Name calling?

Really?

Your assumptions are incorrect. I have done months of research.

Now, if only to prove to the negative ones (present company included) I will roll it on and it WILL look bad ***.

You know why?

Because I can do anything I put my mind too.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

They have actually inspired me.

(Footnote: Its a $4000 car. Not a Ferrari. This much negative emotion over a $4000 car is in-congruent.)

Relax. Go to Baskin Robbins and get some ice cream and step away from the coffee pot.. lol

Quick Reply: My DIY Paint Project Started with Rattle can - Epic Fail - Now Roll on