C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

It takes a village to replace a rear hub on a 94

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default It takes a village to replace a rear hub on a 94

So here it is March and the weather is cold and I decide to go ahead and sit on a cold garage floor because I'm itch'in to get this hub on the car. So I studied a half dozen you tube flicks, got my parts and tools lined up, and figure I got it down. ----- I am inspired to write this because of a Car and Driver columnist Erza Dyer who comments on how you tube pretty much taught him everything he knows about fixing cars. The replies are pretty funny --- one guy changed his serp. belt but the next morning couldn't walk and had an MRI and a x ray and PT sessions and " enough pain to rethink any ambulatory ambitions", but his wife reminds him " think of all the money you saved". -----Anyway it turns out that you tube left out a couple of issues on my hub job. First, did you know that the 2 brake caliper bolts that GM put on the car ,that they use red loctite, and for a while I could swear that they welded them on!! Now with great effort I got them off and am now thinking what have I gotten myself into since the really fun part is coming up, mainly the 3 torx bolts that I can't even see. After 2 days and every tool in my box and every length pipe ext. and a impact wrench(that only worked on one) I finally got them out. Things that should have taken 5 min. took me 2 hours because of doing things out of order. At least I won't make the same mistakes twice(I hope) when I do the other side maybe a month or so from now. You see, it takes time to recuperate from the frostbite and exhaustion and muscle soreness from laying on that concrete floor and contorting to every which way to get at those torx bolts. I am sore in places that I did not know existed. I think it takes more than a village, maybe the county, or the whole state or a forum, to fix a Corvette. -----If you need help on a rear hub replacement you might want to touch base with me because the videos have left a few things out.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
Things that should have taken 5 min. took me 2 hours because of doing things out of order. At least I won't make the same mistakes twice(I hope) when I do the other side maybe a month or so from now.

Unfortunately that's just standard issue for mechanics. The first time through is always a nightmare thanks to rust and original loctite, plus inexperience. Nothing sucks worse than rounding the head off from a hub bolt and then spending the next hour with a torch, center punch, and sledge hammer trying to break it loose. The good thing is always the sense of accomplishment when it's all back together.

When it comes to youtube videos, so few guys give you the tool combinations and exact steps, which is 90% of the problem. They're more concerned with looking professional than giving out the right advice. I spell my videos out like I'm talking to someone that has never touched a ratchet.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I can identify with that. My first hub replacement included a trip to minor emergency after the bit slipped and I rammed my elbow into the the underside of the wheel well. Didn't break anything, just a knot the size of a golf ball. Then the torx bit came out of the socket and rolled into a secret hiding place in the hub....another hour or two searching for that. Finally got it done though. Next time won't be so bad.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:20 PM
vert vette virgin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagined all that and more after watching a video...decided to get estimates from a couple different shops...I think it will be money well spent. I'm pretty well attuned to my limitations.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 PM
85orangecrusher
Advanced

A whole village? Your being silly.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Crash594
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I couldn't get the rear bolt on the axel loose. Then when I was able to get the hub assy off I was able to see the u joint was falling apart.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:57 PM
eastcobbdude
Intermediate

Been there, done that! Once I realized that when a post said it was a good Saturday morning project, it really meant 4 days...
well it was ok then. Just take it slow, don't get too mad, (yeah right), and turn it into a bunch of little projects. Makes it much more fun, even though it takes forever. Good feeling when you are done, and it works right, doesn't leak etc...

Get notified of new replies

To It takes a village to replace a rear hub on a 94

Quick Reply: It takes a village to replace a rear hub on a 94