C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ASR & temperature

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM
charlie44gs
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASR & temperature

My 96 coupe began displaying the ASR Service light several months ago. It displays code H65 which implies the ASR module is faulty. Be then it gets interesting. If the outside temperature is in the 30's the ASR service light does not display and the system works fine. The system can be turned ON or OFF with the dash button and performs as it should. If the temperature reaches into the 40's the light comes on. This sounds like a weak electrical connection. I checked and cleaned the control unit under the hood as well as the module behind the driver's seat. No change in the above mentioned operations. Could the problem be in the sensors at the rear wheels? Any suggestions? Thanks
Charlie
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am not sure, but I think the ASR uses the same sensors as the ABS system to determine wheel slip/spin. If you do not have an ABS light the sensors are probably O.K. If your scanner can read rea time ABS data check if the rear wheel sensors are reading the same speed as the fronts. I do not think a 10 deg temp change would be enough to change the operation, unless the system goes off outside temp as well as wheel slip.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM
charlie44gs
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASR and Temoerature

Thanks for the thoughts. I do not have a scanner but used the paper clip method to retrieve the H65 code. I do not know if outside temp is factored into the ASR/ABS system either. Unfortunately in Atlanta I won't get many days to test my observations. We have probably seen our last sub-freezing temps for a while. My 96 is a DD with several other minor problems that need attention but nothing that keeps me from driving it. The code indicates that the EBTCM has detected an open or short in the cable adjuster circuit. This can be caused by an open or short circuit condition, poor electrical connection, or a failed cable adjuster motor. Since everything seems to work when temp is in the 30's I was thinking poor electrical connection. I will keep hunting. Thanks.
Charlie
Old 03-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Charlie,
I am not famaliar with the ASR system, but maybe try testing the wiring with a multimeter for open/shorted circuts. If you have a service manual check the wiring diagram and charts for resistence values. Good luck !

Get notified of new replies

To ASR & temperature

Quick Reply: ASR & temperature