C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vinyl Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Looks great man! Vinyl wrapping, as your car shows, has come a long long way.

It doesn't have to be chromed as yours is, and it doesn't have to flat matte finished as wrapping started out with to 'murder' a car.

there are many colours that look just as nice as paint.

it is entirely possible to diy a wrap job, with patience, and it will cost far far less in investment than paint. the prep work is the same, but the install has no smell and no need for a ventilation or mask.

it doesn't have to look ghetto, or muchacho bling bling.

for my 86 with a late c4 rear clip, the paint job is about 7/10 as it is. in a black sand pearl finish with a grey racing stripe. its decent enough not to warrant a repaint. i am considering trying a grandsport racing theme blue wrap job. priced out its about 800 bucks and at the end of the day, can look just as good as paint, just as glossy, and protects the paint underneath. thats how it all started....with the clear 3m wrap to protect paint...

cheers and thanks for posting im glad the c4's are getting some love like this.

Originally Posted by Greg MFn Z
I love my wrap.
My paint is in excellent shape under it and it's being protected :-)

I Plasti-Dipped the rims in Flat black to contrast the Chrome wrap.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never seen this process in person but the pictures look pretty cool to me and I'm old.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a white C4, and I think I will try doing the top with a carbon fiber look at some point, as it is getting some chips etc. I would not try doing the whole thing.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I have a white C4, and I think I will try doing the top with a carbon fiber look at some point, as it is getting some chips etc. I would not try doing the whole thing.
I wrapped my top a few years ago with a gloss black 3M wrap. It's not easy. If you have any imperfections in the paint, it will show thru so prep is just as important as if you were repainting. Also, even tho the roof looks easy, there are curves and you will need to use a blow dryer or heat gun to properly stretch the vinyl over those areas. Also, remove the trim around the edges so nothing gets under the vinyl to lift it up once you're done.

Honestly, I did not like the job I did afterwards. I kept it on a year and then removed it in favor of a rattle can paint job that looked awesome in the end.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:42 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
I wrapped my top a few years ago with a gloss black 3M wrap. It's not easy. If you have any imperfections in the paint, it will show thru so prep is just as important as if you were repainting. Also, even tho the roof looks easy, there are curves and you will need to use a blow dryer or heat gun to properly stretch the vinyl over those areas. Also, remove the trim around the edges so nothing gets under the vinyl to lift it up once you're done.

Honestly, I did not like the job I did afterwards. I kept it on a year and then removed it in favor of a rattle can paint job that looked awesome in the end.
Pictures??
Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've attempted, and failed at wrapping a flat license plate holder with dinoc wrap yet others successfully wrap spoked wheels and curved dash boards. It's just one of those things. If you have the attention to detail, patience and coordination you can do it. Plastidip, on the other hand is so forgiving an artistic misfit like myself can do it.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont doubt its not easy especially with compound curves and corners

Tinting windows looks easy too if you watch enough youtube. DIdnt quite go that smooth.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap