C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Courtesy lights and accessory power issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights and accessory power issue

Just had an alarm system with a remote start put on my 96. All of the sudden, when i park and shut off engine and open the driver side door, no courtesy lights come on and the radio stays on and the antenna stays up. If i open the passenger door, everything works as it should. Checked drivers side door ajar switch, its good. Checked all fuses in the fuse box, all ok. Took my 96 back to where they installed the alarm, and they are saying they dont have a clue what the fix is, and that it was probably like that before a brought it in. Typical answer. Anybody out there with some insight on this issue? I appreciate it!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

sounds like the shop who did your work screwed up
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

I agree, but now i need to research a solution
Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

read this thread , do the troubleshooting and then tell us what you have.

Hope that helps you out.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:06 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

Originally Posted by kg4fku
read this thread , do the troubleshooting and then tell us what you have.

Hope that helps you out.
Seems like it has to be the door the door jar switch again. 3rd time replacing in 5 months(nothing but aftermarket junk out there). The reason i dont think it is a fuse or courtesy light delay relay is that the system works fine and does what its supposed to do if you open the passenger door. Engine off, keys out, open passenger door and radio goes off, antenna goes down, and courtesy lights come on. Close the passenger door and the courtesy lights go off on a delay as they should. Do the same with the drivers side door, nothing happens
Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by etcopy1
Seems like it has to be the door the door jar switch again. 3rd time replacing in 5 months(nothing but aftermarket junk out there). The reason i dont think it is a fuse or courtesy light delay relay is that the system works fine and does what its supposed to do if you open the passenger door. Engine off, keys out, open passenger door and radio goes off, antenna goes down, and courtesy lights come on. Close the passenger door and the courtesy lights go off on a delay as they should. Do the same with the drivers side door, nothing happens
If you have replaced that switch twice already then I would say you have found the worst batch of switches or something else is causing them to fail prematurely. Don't just replace the fuse every time it blows. Find the root cause and fix that.

I would do the full troubleshooting procedure of the CCM and see what it is pointing to from that procedure. I would also double check the door cylinder key lock mechanism to make sure it reads in both positions.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:29 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

If you have replaced that switch twice already then I would say you have found the worst batch of switches or something else is causing them to fail prematurely. Don't just replace the fuse every time it blows. Find the root cause and fix that.

I would do the full troubleshooting procedure of the CCM and see what it is pointing to from that procedure. I would also double check the door cylinder key lock mechanism to make sure it reads in both positions.
The fuse doesnt blow. the physical plunger on the switches break. But this time i inspected the switch from the outside, and it is plunging fine and not broken
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Is there a warranty on the switches you are buying?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:43 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

Is there a warranty on the switches you are buying?
3 months. Im working on getting a replacement. I wish somebody may a higher quality switch with better material, maybe steel or something more durable to withstand the shutting of the door. I would definitely pay a higher price
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by etcopy1
I wish somebody may a higher quality switch with better material, maybe steel or something more durable to withstand the shutting of the door. I would definitely pay a higher price
Are you looking at the correct switch? The one you should be looking at is located on the door hinge pillar. It has a steel plunger.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:55 AM
etcopy1
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Are you looking at the correct switch? The one you should be looking at is located on the door hinge pillar. It has a steel plunger.
The one that been breaking alot is the one made of plastic and on the inside of the door not too far from the door opening handle

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights and accessory power issue

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights and accessory power issue