Export RPO question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 03:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Export RPO question

I was looking thru some websites that show the various RPO codes for C4's and I came across a very interesting code for an Export Front Tow Hook, RPO V70. Apparently this particular option was for export cars only and I have only found it listed for 1988 cars. GM had to offer a number of specific options for Corvettes that were exported to foreign dealers

Another website shows a Front Tow Hook RPO V76 but doesn't list a model year.

Anybody know anything about this particular option? I'm trying to fashion a front tow hook for my '87 track day car and it's become a real job to figure out how to install an aftermarket hook or even build one.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I was looking thru some websites that show the various RPO codes for C4's and I came across a very interesting code for an Export Front Tow Hook, RPO V70. Apparently this particular option was for export cars only and I have only found it listed for 1988 cars. GM had to offer a number of specific options for Corvettes that were exported to foreign dealers

Another website shows a Front Tow Hook RPO V76 but doesn't list a model year.

Anybody know anything about this particular option? I'm trying to fashion a front tow hook for my '87 track day car and it's become a real job to figure out how to install an aftermarket hook or even build one.
This might be of interest to you. In post #16 of this thread Cliff has some interesting thoughts on the tow adapter:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580070574

Here's another thread of his for the same BUT the CF post has dimensions etc:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....front+tow+hook

Regarding V70 & V76:

V70 '84 - '87 cars

V76 '94 - '96

No images of the V70 for '84 - '87 but I'll look in a couple other reference documents I have.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-15-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's a very interesting thread. The early C4's don't appear to have a robust crossmember in front of the radiator. The only thing I can see under the front of my '87 around the air dam are the "fangs" and the braces for the radiator core support. The core support has a pair of tubular brackets that bolt to the front crossmember near the lower control arms and go forward to the radiator core support.

I want to be able to use a winch to get my car in my enclosed trailer so there would be some upwards and downwards force on the tow bracket as the car goes up the ramp and levels out. For track days, I want the towing eye to be visible as track workers don't like to crawl around under cars to hook up a strap.

If you do find anything for the early C4's I would really appreciate seeing what you may find. And thanks for the response!!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

\
Originally Posted by c4cruiser
That's a very interesting thread. The early C4's don't appear to have a robust crossmember in front of the radiator. The only thing I can see under the front of my '87 around the air dam are the "fangs" and the braces for the radiator core support. The core support has a pair of tubular brackets that bolt to the front crossmember near the lower control arms and go forward to the radiator core support.

I want to be able to use a winch to get my car in my enclosed trailer so there would be some upwards and downwards force on the tow bracket as the car goes up the ramp and levels out. For track days, I want the towing eye to be visible as track workers don't like to crawl around under cars to hook up a strap.

If you do find anything for the early C4's I would really appreciate seeing what you may find. And thanks for the response!!
If this were a "track only" car I don't know why it wouldn't be more preferred to go through the tag opening all the way to the x-member that the front bumper bar attaches to. That's welded on rail to rail across the front.

The skid-bar impact bracket that's 1 1/4" wasn't added to cars until '90. I disregarded that originally because it's generally assumed that fronts on '84 - '90 are same/similar. Adding that member might be doable - I've never thought about it.

#11 in this image:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...=0&modelYear=0

Go through the absorber and impact bar to get to #3 in the same image. That x-member is on all C4's.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-15-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's a pic of the underside of my '87 showing the two tubular braces. The forward ends attach to the "fangs", but I have no idea what is directly above them. In the pic, the bottom of the radiator core support appears to be unattached at the bottom. In the link you provided, the exploded parts diagram shows a #22 that (at least in the later C4's) looks like it hold the "fangs" in place. I'll have to get the car up on my rack to have a closer look.

Maybe a longer piece going from the front crossmember thru the air dam (like the pic for the ZR-1 unit) and braced by that #22 component may work.

The car also sees street use so I didn't want to go thru the front plate.
Attached Images  

Last edited by c4cruiser; 03-15-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:02 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An idea.
If you don't have a front license plate on the car you MAY be able to build something similar to what WVZR-1 in post #4, but build it so that it can be hidden behind the license plate delete panel.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by chevyowner
An idea.
If you don't have a front license plate on the car you MAY be able to build something similar to what WVZR-1 in post #4, but build it so that it can be hidden behind the license plate delete panel.
Unfortunately, WA state law requires a front plate so I do have one on the car. I would probably get hassled if I cut a slot in the plate and had a bright red/orange tow eye pushed thru the middle of it. Defacing a plate is illegal.

The dimensional drawing showed that particular towing bracket is 4" wide, there is a 1" outside loop and the hole is 2" in diameter. So the towing eye would most likely be 3-1/2" to 4" in front of the plate. That would cut thru the middle plate letters (personalized plate C4CRUZR).
Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't have to "deface" your license plate, and I said you would have to build it. You have a front license plate, and you want a tow hook but you want it hidden?

You can build a custom device that would hold the front plate, and be easily removed. Then also build a second part that has the tow hook. Similar to a receiver hitch, but not for towing trailers. At the track you could remove the plate, and add the hook.

Get notified of new replies

To Export RPO question

Quick Reply: Export RPO question