C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:59 PM
rayou01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Wheel Spacers

I was planning on throwing on some wheel spacers on my 93. But before I do so, what would be some good wheel spacers and a good size? I was thinking 1" spacers all around. Also, would I need to do any fabrication to the hub screws in order for the spacers to fit flush? I want to be able to flush my wheels along the fenders. But I don't want to do any other modifications to anything.

Ray
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Are you installing different wheels? "Adapters" are used when there is a difference in wheel offset based on OEM and aftermarket wheels. A one inch adapter is equal to about 25mm. Adapters typically bolt to the hub and the wheel then bolts to studs that are part of the adapter.

A "spacer" is simply a disc that slides over the OEM wheel studs. That effectively reduces the number of threads for the lug nut to engage and tighten

One thing to be careful of is moving the front wheels further outward and winding up with tire/frame/wheelwell interference at full steering lock.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:01 PM
rayou01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Are you installing different wheels? "Adapters" are used when there is a difference in wheel offset based on OEM and aftermarket wheels. A one inch adapter is equal to about 25mm. Adapters typically bolt to the hub and the wheel then bolts to studs that are part of the adapter.

A "spacer" is simply a disc that slides over the OEM wheel studs. That effectively reduces the number of threads for the lug nut to engage and tighten

One thing to be careful of is moving the front wheels further outward and winding up with tire/frame/wheelwell interference at full steering lock.
Adapters. I want to use stock rims. What would be a good measurement to flush my rim with the fender?

Below are the adapters I want and also what I plan on achieving:
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

1 inch billets will work just fine.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:39 PM
rayou01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kimmer
All around?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM
rayou01
Intermediate

Also, would I need to do any modifications to the hub bolts? (Saw off the tips of the bolts so everything will be flush against each other?)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rayou01
Also, would I need to do any modifications to the hub bolts? (Saw off the tips of the bolts so everything will be flush against each other?)
The stock studs should be about 1-1/2" long so it's possible that cutting may be necessary. But look at the back of the stock wheel flange; If there are cavities between the holes for the studs, the wheels should fit on the adapters without any cutting of the studs. Otherwise, cutting could be necessary. Try that first.

Make sure you follow the wheel lug nut torque requirements and don't over tighten the lug nuts for the wheels. Don't use an air or electric impact wrench here! 90-95 ft-lbs will work fine.

Torque the bolts for the adapters per the install instructions.
The following users liked this post:
Need4Sneed (02-23-2024)
Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spacer or adapter.... well an adapter "adapts" it has different bolt patterns on each side.
A spacer is a spacer, if it's a thick enough spacer it will have it's own studs for the wheel side. But still a spacer will have the same bolt pattern on each side. I wouldn't call it an adapter if it doesn't adapt.

Now look at your goals. You posted a picture of a car with nice fat tires even with the wheel well. Looks great. Is yours going to look like that? NO.

You're going to take a more narrow tire and push it out to the fender lip. It's not going to look nearly as good.

My point is you can't just ask someone on a forum what you need and order it. You really need to take the wheels off one side of the car and put them where you want them, see if it looks like you want it to look like. If it does measure for spacers.

But I'll stick to my opinion, skinny wheels pushed out to the fender lip aren't going to look the same as fat wheels that have to be at the fender lip.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:50 PM
peter_werkes
Advanced

1 inch spacer is around 25mm or 25.4mm
factory offsets on sawblades are 54mm i believe or somewhere around there
so youll end up with a final wheel offset around 30
it wont fit at all and it will look ridiculous.
9.5 +45 on the front is flush
11 +50 rear is poking slightly 1/8 in depending on the tire, otherwise itsessentially flush with a 'proper' tire.
Tire size makes a huge difference as well as ride height
Old 03-23-2015, 09:22 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

I had no problem with the studs on my Z-R1 style wheels and I do not think the 1 inch spacers look ridiculous on my car.

Last edited by kimmer; 03-24-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I had no problem with the studs on my Z-R1 style wheels.
Looks awesome
Old 03-24-2015, 03:37 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Thank you, I think they look good also.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 AM
rayou01
Intermediate

I had no problem with the studs on my Z-R1 style wheels and I do not think the 1 inch spacers look ridiculous on my car.
I like it! That is something I am aiming for! I feel like my wheels are just a tad too into the fender and would like to widen them up a bit. It's not like I'm changing out my whole suspension lol you know what I mean? Just a little push is all I need. This isnt that serious of a project!

Is there a certain bolt pattern on the adapter that would be ideal for a stock C4 wheel??
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by rayou01
I like it! That is something I am aiming for! I feel like my wheels are just a tad too into the fender and would like to widen them up a bit. It's not like I'm changing out my whole suspension lol you know what I mean? Just a little push is all I need. This isnt that serious of a project!

Is there a certain bolt pattern on the adapter that would be ideal for a stock C4 wheel??
Using the stock "staggered" '93 sizes you might want to consider maybe a pair of 3/4" and a pair of 1". I would drop a plumb-bob from hood edge and the quarter edge first and measure to the string.

OR maybe even 1" and 1 1/4"

The bolt circle is 5 X 4 3/4 or 5 X 120.65, you want an "adapter styled" spacer that is both hub and wheel centric. You're looking for 70.3mm which is a quite common GM spec.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-29-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Wheel Spacers

Quick Reply: C4 Wheel Spacers