C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Mike1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight upgrade

Was thinking of doing a headlight and fog light upgrade to hid's. I think that the halo ones would look pretty cool, but can't seem to find any pictures of them on c4s. If anyone has any pictures of their headlight and fog light upgrade (doesn't have to only be pictures of the halo ones) I'd really appreciate you sharing them. Thanks again - mike
Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I just changed mine to cibie headlights they blow away anything else and won't get you pulled over
Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Mike1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I just changed mine to cibie headlights they blow away anything else and won't get you pulled over
Awesome I'll look into them! Have any pictures on them yet and was the install straight forward?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike1985
Awesome I'll look into them! Have any pictures on them yet and was the install straight forward?
They look stock untill you turn them on great to be able to see at nite stock never were any good you have to put better wire in the stock can not handle it but not hard and Daniel will get you through it no cuttiing plug and play they will build the harness for you but did it myself

Last edited by antfarmer2; 03-22-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM
BigMac2395
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

They look stock untill you turn them on great to be able to see at nite stock never were any good you have to put better wire in the stock can not handle it but not hard and Daniel will get you through it no cuttiing plug and play they will build the harness for you but did it myself
I have BOSCH headlamps that you can install a H4 style HID into them. They are actually quite good and plug into the factory harness. I purchased PIAA bulbs H4's and they should be good. I thought that was pretty similar to the CIBIE but maybe not.....

Russell
Old 03-22-2015, 02:53 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't remember the brand but I bought a conversion housing that accepts H4 bulbs. I used halogen bulbs not HID.

On the subject of HID you can convert to HID headlights with them street legal, but you need to use HID specific projectors. There are a few places you can buy a retrofit kit for around $250, and this still needs you to adapt the H4 style housing to hold the projector.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:01 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by chevyowner
I don't remember the brand but I bought a conversion housing that accepts H4 bulbs. I used halogen bulbs not HID.

On the subject of HID you can convert to HID headlights with them street legal, but you need to use HID specific projectors. There are a few places you can buy a retrofit kit for around $250, and this still needs you to adapt the H4 style housing to hold the projector.
Talk to Daniel Stern cibies takes care of all of this
Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

No offense to anyone but... illegally modified headlights with HID lights really rubs me raw.

Every time I get one of these wonderful people behind me on the road with their glaring and annoying lights in my rearview I want to see how far I can bury those headlights into my tow hitch.

I especially dislike the people who do this mod and then say "it doesn't bother anyone because I have never been flashed driving down the road". Really... That is probably because the glare doesn't hit the oncoming driver until the last 50 feet or less. By that time you are already passed the other driver.

Do whatever suits you and spend your money as you see fit but I hope in the not to distant future that the laws against non DOT approved lighting are followed and upheld with very steep fines.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by kg4fku
No offense to anyone but... illegally modified headlights with HID lights really rubs me raw.

Every time I get one of these wonderful people behind me on the road with their glaring and annoying lights in my rearview I want to see how far I can bury those headlights into my tow hitch.

I especially dislike the people who do this mod and then say "it doesn't bother anyone because I have never been flashed driving down the road". Really... That is probably because the glare doesn't hit the oncoming driver until the last 50 feet or less. By that time you are already passed the other driver.

Do whatever suits you and spend your money as you see fit but I hope in the not to distant future that the laws against non DOT approved lighting are followed and upheld with very steep fines.
Cibies are not HID and have a lens that cut the light down further and to the right out of oncoming traffic than stock were you need it

Last edited by antfarmer2; 03-22-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Cibies are not HID and have a lens that cut the light down further than stock were you need it
Wasn't referring to Cibies. I am referring to those individuals that put HID bulbs into stock halogen fixtures.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Wasn't referring to Cibies. I am referring to those individuals that put HID bulbs into stock halogen fixtures.
So sorry most folks don't evan know about them but I love mine
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Amen!

Hella E-Codes with Philips xtreme power h4's. Excellent lighting! Not quite cibie but very good for the money.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

As for the complaint about HID above. You can get the exact same effect with halogen bulbs that are aimed wrong, and a lot of cars have incorrectly aimed headlights.

Talk to Daniel Stern cibies takes care of all of this
Already have the stuff and have it installed. For me I would have to find a fixed headlight conversion that looks decent for actual HID headlights w/ballasts, and I think every one I have seen is fugly.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by chevyowner
As for the complaint about HID above. You can get the exact same effect with halogen bulbs that are aimed wrong, and a lot of cars have incorrectly aimed headlights.

Already have the stuff and have it installed. For me I would have to find a fixed headlight conversion that looks decent for actual HID headlights w/ballasts, and I think every one I have seen is fugly.
Not sure what your saying do you have cibies or fugly HID?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:52 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Some options.... From another site...Long read but lots of great info.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24267
Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

The projector/hid combo corvettemods sells rocks. Clean cut off so no blinding people if you aim the correctly and KILLER lighting.

Even did a howto for people installing them if someone needs it.

Putting the bulbs in the housing :
http://crowz.narmir.com/corvette/87c.../hids/hid1.htm

Installing the housing(lights) and hids in the car :
http://crowz.narmir.com/corvette/87c.../hids/hid2.htm

Old

New

Still haven't shot decent pics of them in action. Will do that soon hopefully.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Nice write up would like to see how they stack up to my cibies what is the cost?

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight upgrade

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I believe the projector housings with the hids is around $235 for both lights.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Not sure what your saying do you have cibies or fugly HID?
I don't have either of those. There are many brand of conversion housings. From my short search they appear to be IPCW Crystal Clear Rectangular Headlights CWC-7004, but I have had them in for over a year and don't know the brand.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 03-22-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Nice write up would like to see how they stack up to my cibies what is the cost?
Oh and as to how they compete with cibie non hid headlights? Not really fair. You cant see the cibies when my hids are on

Quick Reply: Headlight upgrade