Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Rebody (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Amazing talent. I hope these can be purchased in the future.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
Is there not companies that print a 3d body to fit the frame to your styling?
No such thing (yet). There's only one company printing a 3D car that I know of, Local Motors... but not exactly my style....

There is a guy printing his own Aston Martin DB4, one little piece at a time. I'd rock a DB4 body no doubt, but the technology and large scale printer just aren't really accessible for this type of thing. http://replicadb4.com/

Looks like life got in his way, because he hasn't posted updates on his page since June of 2014.

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Amazing talent. I hope these can be purchased in the future.
Thank you sir. Definitely would sell a few to those who want one. I'll have the molds, so no reason not to if anyone ends up seriously wanting one.

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
wonder if you could get, say a c2 (63 grand sport??) and rebody to look like an even more valuable ferrari from the same era???
I see what you did there. I could also make you a replica gold chain and a stick on handle bar mustache that you could rock with your C4 :P
Old 01-26-2016, 08:25 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I like the front/side shots of what you are doing.. what does the back look like?

This is a cool project that takes a lot of talent
Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I like the front/side shots of what you are doing.. what does the back look like?

This is a cool project that takes a lot of talent
Thanks. I've been having a lot of fun so far, and I do feel fortunate to have the opportunity right now. It won't be long before life totally gets in the way, so I decided to dive in and just take it one step at a time.

I haven't completely finalized the idea for the rear end, so it's pretty generic. I'm planning on using the C7 taillights, and I really dig the asymmetrical roll hoop area and the converging center rear section of the Chevrolet Miray concept:

Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I like where this Hot Rod is going, but I see you chopped the A&B pillars.

What's the plan?

I ask because the C4 Convertible is notorious with body flexing, that is with the A pillar, and the X sub-frame on place.
The following users liked this post:
5.7LSleeper (01-27-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 06:56 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLRX
I like where this Hot Rod is going, but I see you chopped the A&B pillars.

What's the plan?

I ask because the C4 Convertible is notorious with body flexing, that is with the A pillar, and the X sub-frame on place.
The B pillars, I'm just going to box the top part I cut down. I'll be doing a full cage with dual roll hoops. As for whats left of the A pillars, I'll be tying the cage in there, so I'm not really worried about chassis flex. I'm still researching cage ideas.

It's going to be a roadster, because I want to keep the weight down and I don't wanna add the complexity. I purchased a Porsche speedster windshield, because it's DOT laminated and pretty cheap. I'm planning on cutting the edges to get the exact look I want. I'll have to practice on some other glass before I try cutting on the speedster windshield.
PLRX (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm in.

The arc of this thread is so awesome. From horror to admiration.

Like the story of Young Frankenstein.

Last edited by Renfield; 01-27-2016 at 02:57 PM.
5.7LSleeper (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Very cool. the car was worthless, as it had already been hacked up. You obviously have a lot of know how that most people don't have, and its great that your sharing. 99.99% of people here cant do this, so neat to see how its done.
5.7LSleeper (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Is this a hobby or in some way related to your profession, or training. This is way beyond the knowledge base of the average person. Very impressive. Don't ever lose your passion.
5.7LSleeper (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renfield
I'm in.

The arc of this thread is so awesome. From horror to admiration.

Like the story of Young Frankenstein.
Haha. It's good stuff. I can appreciate criticism

Originally Posted by 73n95
Is this a hobby or in some way related to your profession, or training. This is way beyond the knowledge base of the average person. Very impressive. Don't ever lose your passion.
It's just a hobby right now, but I consider it training. When I was 18 I walked into a small body shop and a guy gave me a shot working part time in an apprentice type of position. I had the opportunity to do a lot of sanding, ha. I got to work on a few classics while there and I absolutely loved that. I stayed working there part time on weekdays (while also running a lathe at a pump and piping related fab shop/pushing carts/liquor store, over that time frame) until I was 21. Then I moved and worked shortly for an electric company, and then ended up working for a water/wastewater pump company in late 2009, where I'm still working at.

Since I was 18 I always wished I could be involved in transportation design, but I never seriously entertained the idea. Transportation designs schools were too expensive for me to even think about. So, this is kinda my way squelching that desire. Hopefully this car can also get my foot in the door at an interesting hot rod shop, because that's always been my more realistic dream. Nobody is really going to give you the time of day unless you have something to show, and I don't have a resume with ten years of experience, so hopefully this can help open some doors.

I've always had a passion for Corvettes too. The first real sports car experience I had was in a 92' that my best friend would occasionally get to borrow from his sister in highschool Later, the dad of that same friend bought a C5 Z06 and... it pretty much ruined all other cars for me, haha. It became my new standard. It's the reason there's an LS1 sitting in my 86' RX7

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 01-27-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOO! not the c7 rear! The front looks super car make the rear the same... IMO
Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by pologreen1
NOOOOOOOOOOO! not the c7 rear! The front looks super car make the rear the same... IMO
I'm only using the taillights, I promise! It's about the only thing I like about the C7 rear, no offense to C7 owners... But I want people to think it's a regular C7 from a distance then do a double take and trip out when it's something they've never experienced.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
Pretty cool project! I noticed you cut off the halo in the rear, how will you strengthen that area with a cage?
It didn't have a halo.

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
wonder if you could get, say a c2 (63 grand sport??) and rebody to look like an even more valuable ferrari from the same era???
Yeah, sure compare a piece of crap C4 to a C2. Don't you have an LS thread to go muck up?

OP I like it, keep plugging away, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
5.7LSleeper (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Cool build. I am all for it, there are not many cool C4 threads here anymore.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Cool build. I am all for it, there are not many cool C4 threads here anymore.
Totally.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Was the rear photo in Post 44 your concept (CAD). I find that very interesting. I saw a Pagani, I think, 918 at SEMA last year that set my hair on fire. It was mostly carbon fiber. Several of the main rear fasteners used to attach the rear chassis were titanium that were supposed to cost $115 apiece and there were a bunch of them. I like your ideas and the work is so fun to watch. It looks like you will have a very unique super car look. I guess you will have to tell people it is based on a corvette. It won't be that obvious, IMO.

Thanks,

WEK.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by skullandbones
Was the rear photo in Post 44 your concept (CAD). I find that very interesting.
That's actually a real life concept car made by GM Korea (The Miray). I just really like the rear end design and it seems like it's speaking corvette stingray language with a lot of the lines, so I've draw some inspiration from it. The rear end is a lot more exciting that the c7 rear :/ It feels fresh to me. I don't intend for this thing to look futuristic, I just want it to be future proof.

Unfortunately, I've spent the last two weekends cleaning out the garage and vinyl wrapping someone's car, so I don't have any updates yet But in two weeks it will actually be at my house, so I'll be working on it multiple times a week, rather than free weekends. So, give me 1-2 months and I should have something to get excited about again Thanks everyone for the positive replies. I'll keep you updated.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Rebody (General Discussion)

Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

5.7, love that FC bro, that's a great lookin car. Definitely one of my favorite cars from that era.

I'm all for what you're doing, keep it rollin!

It appears your heading the "speedster" direction and the C7 lights keep it Corvette. I think that's the deal...keep it Corvette, but make it concept. You pink foamin the interior shapes or pouring?

[No threadjack intended]

I've been known to foam up Corvettes myself...lol

Last edited by RC000E; 02-04-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

It's been a while, so I wanted to updated you guys. I moved out of the old shop, so that really put things on hold a while, but the car is in my personal garage now and I'm back at it.

Here's a link to the latest progress video:

You can see me showing the copy of the C7 headlight lense I made for mockup purposes. The exterior is rough in this video, but you can look back and see more smoothed out states of progress. I'm still adding bulk and trying to conceptualize the rear end. The area behind the front wheel will eventually have a fairing, but it's gone for the time being. Anyway, just thought this would be a fun update because it's change shape and good bit.. not as angular as it was.

Originally Posted by RC000E
You pink foamin the interior shapes or pouring?
Thanks for the complements on the FC! The 80's sports cars don't get a lot of love. I guess I was planning on using the pour on, but it's a mess. Where did you find the foam sheets? That's closed cell right?

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 07-25-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Rexracer77 (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

This is awesome! Keep it up!

Quick Reply: C4 Rebody (General Discussion)