C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1992 Corvette Bose rear speakers DOA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Meterguru
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Corvette Bose rear speakers DOA

I'm the proud owner or should I say my wife is the proud owner of our first Corvette. After getting it I found the rear speakers/speaker doesn't work. I found one speaker was missing so asked original owner and they stayed the speaker was whistling so he was checking it out. He lost the speaker. I purchased a new speaker and replaced/repaired the preamps. Still nothing. Could he have pulled a plug some where that disconnected the rear speakers and if so where would it be? If not I am guessing the next step is to pull the radio and have it repaired or replaced. My wife would like a radio with a cd/mp3 player in it. Any recommendation there would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Meterguru
I'm the proud owner or should I say my wife is the proud owner of our first Corvette. After getting it I found the rear speakers/speaker doesn't work. I found one speaker was missing so asked original owner and they stayed the speaker was whistling so he was checking it out. He lost the speaker. I purchased a new speaker and replaced/repaired the preamps. Still nothing. Could he have pulled a plug some where that disconnected the rear speakers and if so where would it be? If not I am guessing the next step is to pull the radio and have it repaired or replaced. My wife would like a radio with a cd/mp3 player in it. Any recommendation there would be appreciated.
I believe on a 92 the CDM is still under the dash below the glove box. There should be several connectors under the carpet just forward of the speaker on the passager side that go to the rear and both front speakers.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Did you replace them with Bose speakers? Regular speakers won't work.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

If your Corvette has the Bose system I would recommend you replace the whole system.
The head unit is in the front of the console. It has the ***** and dials.
The CDM is the electronics for the radio. It is under the dash on the passenger side.
The Bose amps and speakers are special for Bose. Each speaker has its own amp.
If you want to replace the system get a modern unit that has all the new stuff. You will also want new speakers and wires. You can contact Dennis at Double D Mods and he will set you up with everything you need. He is the C5 Corvette audio guru but knows C4s as well. The CDM can be left in place as it is a pain to remove.
I replaced the system myself in my 92 and it was not too big of a job.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
If your Corvette has the Bose system I would recommend you replace the whole system.
The CDM is the electronics for the radio. It is under the dash on the passenger side.
If you want to replace the system get a modern unit that has all the new stuff. You will also want new speakers and wires. You can contact Dennis at Double D Mods and he will set you up with everything you need. He is the C5 Corvette audio guru but knows C4s as well. The CDM can be left in place as it is a pain to remove.
Yes if you want a stereo system with all the bells and whistles you'll need to do as Kmcoldcars suggested. I myself went the restoration route and removed the aftermarket system and went back to the factory setup. The Bose Gold system at 100% sounds great and when I crank up the bass I can raddled the windows in the car next to me not to mention my own.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

I had a front speaker go bad. Didn't die easy, it did a lot cracking, and squealing first. Anyway I sent it to the Bose repair place that Eckler's recommended. Cost around $100.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Meterguru
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pa'svette
Yes it was a Bose replacement speaker and had test both pre amps in a friends 94 Vette. I would like to stay OEM but wife wants bells and whistles and it is her baby so bells and whistle will be the way to go. Now just to need to find a replacement system she'll be happy with. I have seen many that will link with her Note 4 phone and give her the cd/mp3 player.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Originally Posted by Meterguru
Yes it was a Bose replacement speaker and had test both pre amps in a friends 94 Vette. I would like to stay OEM but wife wants bells and whistles and it is her baby so bells and whistle will be the way to go. Now just to need to find a replacement system she'll be happy with. I have seen many that will link with her Note 4 phone and give her the cd/mp3 player.
Here's an option you can use. I have one that I connect my iPod an play my iTunes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16553075?w...283592&veh=sem
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The CDM for sure contains the radio tuner, but the tape player output goes straight to the speakers if I recall correctly. Does the tape deck make sound? If not I'd guess the head unit is kaput, if not, the CDM tuner box.

btw the cdm is the pre-amp (at least for am/fm) and the little square amps in the speaker enclosures are the actual amplifiers (tuned to the speaker size).
Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa'svette
Untrue. They just will not be as loud.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:33 AM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Untrue. They just will not be as loud.
Didn't know that.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Meterguru
Heel & Toe

Default Have sound up front

Originally Posted by mike100
The CDM for sure contains the radio tuner, but the tape player output goes straight to the speakers if I recall correctly. Does the tape deck make sound? If not I'd guess the head unit is kaput, if not, the CDM tuner box.

btw the cdm is the pre-amp (at least for am/fm) and the little square amps in the speaker enclosures are the actual amplifiers (tuned to the speaker size).
The radio plays thru the front speakers fine, its just no sound from the rear speakers. That why I thinking the original owner had pull a plug since his original complain was a whistling sound coming from rear speakers and he had pulled one speaker trying to fix it. So bought a new speaker and preamp for the one side and replace he caps on the otherside but still no sound. So I'll go skulking around under the dash and look for a pulled plug. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

The wiring harness comes down right front corner behind the carpet on the passenger side just forward of the right speaker. There are two square connectors which one has 4 wires that go to the right front speaker and the other has 6 wires that go to the rear speakers.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Here is a pic of what they look like. The black one on right goes to the front speaker the other one on the left goes to the rear speakers.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Corvette Bose rear speakers DOA

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette Bose rear speakers DOA