Future Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

This subject has come up on this forum in different variations over the past several months. I tend to think that a lot of nice condition C4s are undervalued right now because of the number produced and the typical depreciation cycle.
I once cited an example from my own experience with a 20 something guy. As treasurer, I was paying a car club bill at a local convenience store gas station. The young attendant asked what cars I had. I mentioned that I had a '57, '61 and a '86 Corvette. He stated that he wasn't interested in the old ones but he sure liked the C4 Corvettes.

I believe the future bodes well for our C4s. Not that I'm planning to sell my '86 anytime soon, but its nice to know there is interest among the younger set.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
There were no C4, C5, or C6 Stingrays.....
i dont think anybody has suggested there was.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There were no C4, C5, or C6 Stingrays.....
He said it was a C3...
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 PM
88-VETTE-L98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it all comes down to how much it's worth to the buyer. The old saying one mans trash is another mans treasure. Take me for example , I "overpaid big time" for the exact car , color , tranny and year I wanted , so I may have paid a little more than the average guy would have. Same goes with anything. It's worth as much as the people willing to pay for it.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

The complexity of cars increases with every year model. With the decreasing parts availability to repair or replace those parts, I wonder if future restorers will think it it's worth the trouble or expense to try to restore C4 and newer cars. The C4's kind of started the "Computer age" cars, and from then on, cars are full of disintegrating plastic pieces and computer hardware that eventually dies of component age failure. Unless somebody starts manufacturing aftermarket C4 replacement pieces, a NOS (new old stock) piece of plastic probably won't be in much better shape than the crumbling piece you need to replace.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I personally could care less about what my C4's will be worth down the road. Sure I like owning the harder to find ones based on color and options, but I never bought them as an investment in the first place I bought them for my enjoyment. And I will maintain them to the best of my ability and drive the wheels off of them.

IFat some point in the future they do gain any substantial value I'm sure I will be long gone and the gain will be for the new owner to enjoy.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 3dprinters is the answer

Originally Posted by Klondike
The complexity of cars increases with every year model. With the decreasing parts availability to repair or replace those parts, I wonder if future restorers will think it it's worth the trouble or expense to try to restore C4 and newer cars. The C4's kind of started the "Computer age" cars, and from then on, cars are full of disintegrating plastic pieces and computer hardware that eventually dies of component age failure. Unless somebody starts manufacturing aftermarket C4 replacement pieces, a NOS (new old stock) piece of plastic probably won't be in much better shape than the crumbling piece you need to replace.
to most of this type of stuff. resolution is getting better.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Not in my lifetime... bought it to drive it.

Wasn't designed to be a lawn ornament.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
to most of this type of stuff. resolution is getting better.
What a cool idea - 3D print any plastic Corvette interior piece you want from a library of parts on some website that would allow you to buy the "description file" of the part for maybe $5 and have Shapeways or someone print it for you.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
What a cool idea - 3D print any plastic Corvette interior piece you want from a library of parts on some website that would allow you to buy the "description file" of the part for maybe $5 and have Shapeways or someone print it for you.

yup im working on it, among other classic cars from the 80's and 90's.

i am a serial businessman....
Old 03-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Are C4 owners asking because they wonder if they might make money on a future resale or is there a chance they might not lose a lot of money due to new or rekindled interest?

The C4 is probably the earliest Corvette which is still practical to own and drive daily today (with a possible exception for the 82)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
Are C4 owners asking because they wonder if they might make money on a future resale or is there a chance they might not lose a lot of money due to new or rekindled interest?

The C4 is probably the earliest Corvette which is still practical to own and drive daily today (with a possible exception for the 82)
I think another reason to wonder if it has any future collectors value is what I imagine is a dilemma most owners face all the time. To mod or not to mod and to drive a bunch or not to drive often.

If its going to become something to resell later based on the value going up or it increases in value and would be hurt value wise by mods and miles then you don't want to daily drive it or mod it any.

If it has no real hope of value increase then you change things to suit your personal likes.

So I could see people wanting to know where its going value wise.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Not unless it's one of the last few on earth. That said I agree with others that I bought my C4 for its unique look, reasonable price and to have fun. It does turn a lot of heads when I have it out and when you open that wrap around hood well that is the icing on the cake. There is no other vette like it.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
I personally could care less about what my C4's will be worth down the road. Sure I like owning the harder to find ones based on color and options, but I never bought them as an investment in the first place I bought them for my enjoyment. And I will maintain them to the best of my ability and drive the wheels off of them.

IFat some point in the future they do gain any substantial value I'm sure I will be long gone and the gain will be for the new owner to enjoy.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by 88-VETTE-L98
I think it all comes down to how much it's worth to the buyer. The old saying one mans trash is another mans treasure. Take me for example , I "overpaid big time" for the exact car , color , tranny and year I wanted , so I may have paid a little more than the average guy would have. Same goes with anything. It's worth as much as the people willing to pay for it.
^ This is me, more or less. I also overpaid for my car by about $1500 but I got exactly what I wanted; low miles, excellent condition, unmodified, LT1 6-speed, no leaks and good documentation. I drive it about 100 miles per week and 5000-6000 miles per year. Enough to enjoy it for what it is and keep it running good, but not enough to rack up the miles in a hurry. At this rate it will be just over 100k in 10 years.

About being collectible, I would collect toothpicks if I thought they were interesting enough. I used to collect of barf bags just because I thought they were funny and interesting... obviously a completely worthless collection. I don't think C4s will be rare for another 20 years, and even then they might not be considered collectible in the automotive world.

I'm mostly interested in this topic just because I don't want to lose a bunch of money on this car. I do expect to lose *some* money simply by depreciation, age/mileage/wear & tear, but I really don't expect to make any money. My car has a bunch of extra stuff (including targa brace) so I can be a little hopeful... we will see!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 PM
65ISWEAR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that right now they are one of the best bang for your buck, I have seen some nice ones here in Phoenix going for $5-7k, if I had the space I would definitely add another one to the collection
Old 03-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, they are the best bang for the buck! As their numbers decline due to natural attrition the value is certain to rise for the all original examples.

Get notified of new replies

To Future Collectible?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I do think they bottom out price wise. In my area ones in good condition are going between $7,000 to $10,000. I paid $8,000 for my 90 last Fall with 59,000 on the clock. My grandson works at the dealership so I got it for a little over their cost. The car was in great shape and very clean.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 AM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

C4s are highly collectible, in my opinion. In fact, a whole collection of really nice C4s could be had for the price of collecting just one C7.

Whether they'll be worth anything in the future is another story...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the zr1 and gs are collectible, and I think the regular models are currently under valued. I think now would be the time to collect nice base models for good prices before they grow in value. I think soon people will realize the value in the chassis and start scooping them up and start swapping in better powertrains like a lsx.

Last edited by TurbineSurgine; 04-01-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Future Collectible?