C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Future Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Digidash
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Future Collectible?

Will C4's be collectible in the next 10 years? The C4's were the contemporary Vettes when gen x was in high school. I'm 42 and decided that I have the time desire and money to drive the car I wanted then. If other people my age feel the same way does this mean these cars will become popular? Are stock examples in good repair becoming rare as more of these are scrapped or heavily modified? Isn't this how muscle cars grew to six figures when baby boomers arrived at middle age?

I don't think they can get cheaper and I think they are desirable. There's is a healthy restoration market and C4's will only become fewer as time goes on. To throw out a figure to start us off: 10 years from now I think a number 3 car will be 20k.

Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

someday maybe, but not in 10 years. Lots and lots of C-4 vettes made. Not that many tro power GTOs, Hemi chargers, 442s, ect. 30 thousand dollars for a 55 chevy makes me think people are nuts.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Collectability and value are two different things. C4 Corvettes are already collectable. In most states, 1984 to 1990 qualify for antique or collector plates. No more inspections to deal with and cheap to insure. In six years all years of C4 will qualify. Just looking at the number of threads started here by new members fixing up beaters and cars ready for the junkyard should give a good indication of collectability. With some exceptions new parts are available in the aftermarket which shows that the demand is there.

As for the numbers produced, millions of Mustangs were produced in the Sixties- they're all collectable but the values vary greatly between a six cylinder stripper model and a Boss 302. What will the future values of C4s be? IDK but I'm not really interested in trying to figure that out. One color, interior, engine, rear end, etc. may prove to be more popular. I'll leave that to others more intelligent than me to figure/argue/debate about.

So if you like C4s collect 'em.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
30 thousand dollars for a 55 chevy makes me think people are nuts.
I see most of them for sale listed higher than that.....they used to give those away...practically threw them away.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Digidash
Will C4's be collectible in the next 10 years? The C4's were the contemporary Vettes when gen x was in high school. I'm 42 and decided that I have the time desire and money to drive the car I wanted then. If other people my age feel the same way does this mean these cars will become popular? Are stock examples in good repair becoming rare as more of these are scrapped or heavily modified? Isn't this how muscle cars grew to six figures when baby boomers arrived at middle age?

I don't think they can get cheaper and I think they are desirable. There's is a healthy restoration market and C4's will only become fewer as time goes on. To throw out a figure to start us off: 10 years from now I think a number 3 car will be 20k.

Thoughts?
The muscle car analogy doesn't work. Muscle cars and especially Corvettes of that performance era became valuable because buyers were convinced that the age of performance was over by about 1972 and that government regulations would forever strangle automotive capability. Mid year stingrays from 66-67 could accelerate from 0-60 in under 5 sec doing the quarter mile in 12.9 sec. By 1975, a mere 8 years after the 67, the base Corvette had all of 165HP where one test article had the 75 0-60 at 9.6 sec and a quarter time of 16.2 sec. That 75 Corvette would lose to a modern minivan today. Year over year, the C3s just got worse and worse. By the end of the C3 run, 67 435s were selling for more than the price of a NEW Corvette.

The C4s have a different history. They were the progenitors of cars that improved functionally generation after generation. The C4 ZR-1s a fantastic car. but the C5 Z06 improved on that functionality. The C6 Z06, then the C6 ZR-1, and now the C7 Z06 have all increased the performance envelope leaving performance enthusiasts many options.

The C4 will have its day, but the only C4s that will have any value (from a collector standpoint) are the ZR-1s, the Callaways, and the LT4 variants (in order of the GS, the CE, and then the base). Sure low mileage original L83/L98/LT1 will capture an audience, but by and large these will be the drivers from that generation.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:37 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

To me its the age of the average buyer.

In the 50's the vette wasn't anything to "collect" just a car.

In the 60's the 50's were interesting somewhat but that was about it.

In the 70's the 50's were classic and the 60's were interesting somewhat but not that much.

In the 80's the 50's were collector cars. The 60's were pretty much there. The 70's were "old", everywhere to be found and nothing special.

In the 90's the 50's and 60's were collector cars. The 70's were kind of interesting. The 80's and 90's were just todays cars but a little older.

Today?
The 50's and 60's are collector heaven. The early 70's are full on collectors. The mid to late 70s are getting there but not quite.

The 80's and 90's are just the old cars and the new ones to me have identity issues as in anything from c5 on up to john q public is a new corvette.

So by 2020 or 2030 the 80's and 90's should be sliding in the collector area some but I doubt they will get to the c3 and olders point ever because from the c4 on up to most people its just a vette. I kind of blame chevy on this one as they lose the unique body styles that set them all apart. I love my c4 and all but I doubt it will ever make it to the collect point or any of the ones after that.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Digidash
Will C4's be collectible in the next 10 years? The C4's were the contemporary Vettes when gen x was in high school.
I don't think so. The new Corvettes when I has in high school was the C5s and 2005 C6, but I don't like the C5 or the C6. However if someone gives me one for free I'll drive it
Old 03-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Not in my lifetime... bought it to drive it.

Wasn't designed to be a lawn ornament.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:03 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
The C4 will have its day, but the only C4s that will have any value (from a collector standpoint) are the ZR-1s, the Callaways, and the LT4 variants (in order of the GS, the CE, and then the base). Sure low mileage original L83/L98/LT1 will capture an audience, but by and large these will be the drivers from that generation.

Our 96' LT4 is a base, but from a pure production numbers standpoint it's more "rare" than the CE or GS. Sitting at 97k miles now, it's already been modified by the previous owner, but was well maintained (aside from the crappy re-paint). Since I intend to strip it and have it repainted in its original arctic white color, it'll be a borderline "driver".

I was taught to take care of my vehicles - on time maintenance, replace failing components etc, thus they tend to last longer. I think that even with regular use, maintenance and care, the LT4 "driver" cars will someday see a value increase and since mine will still be taken care of and well maintained, my family may get something monetary back out of it. I most certainly wont because I won't part with it while I am alive
Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by crowz

Today?
The 50's and 60's are collector heaven. The early 70's are full on collectors. The mid to late 70s are getting there but not quite.

Another low mileage 1978 Pace Car sold for the same price it sold in 2007.

Buy a rare car, garage queen it, never drive it or enjoy it to find out nearly 40 years later it is not a collector item yet.

Got a great Vette? Drive it, enjoy it, show it, wash it, get the front covered with dead bugs, get your windshield chipped, spill a soda inside, drive it on the rain, snow, mud and dirt.

I've done all that, and they still look beautiful
Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,450 Likes on 2,804 Posts

IMO, only the ZR-1 and GS will e true collectibles. The CE and LT4 might have some appeal to a smaller number of people, but it won't be a true collector car.

I do think that C4 prices are nearing the lower limit of what they'll be worth. I can't see a clean Corvette of any sort ever being worth less than $7500.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:58 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default im 38. i bought one.

im 38, i bought one, my friends (same agegroup) are ASTOUNDED when i tell them i paid 4 k for the supercar of our teenage years that hung on our wall. i now have 4 friends searching for a c4.

your logic and reasoning are correct. buy loow. these are at the bottom of the depreciation curve as demand by our gen picks up and supply of good ones dies off. same as the c3. trust your gut.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

maybe. Right now there so cheap that not many treat them with a lot of respect. many are modified, raced, and beat on the street. Many are tossed in the salvage yard because it costs more to repaint them then there worth. I think 10-20 years from now there isn't going to be many really nice c4s left and those might start to see some real value.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Digidash
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This discussion sounds a lot like the stock market. No one knows but we all agree they are fairly priced now. If we thought they were a good investment the prices would be higher to reflect the expected future value. My feeling is totally a guess but after reading all the replies I feel they will be more valuable in 10 years.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
To me its the age of the average buyer.

In the 50's the vette wasn't anything to "collect" just a car.

In the 60's the 50's were interesting somewhat but that was about it.

In the 70's the 50's were classic and the 60's were interesting somewhat but not that much.

In the 80's the 50's were collector cars. The 60's were pretty much there. The 70's were "old", everywhere to be found and nothing special.

In the 90's the 50's and 60's were collector cars. The 70's were kind of interesting. The 80's and 90's were just todays cars but a little older.

Today?

The 80's and 90's are just the old cars and the new ones to me have identity issues as in anything from c5 on up to john q public is a new corvette.

So by 2020 or 2030 the 80's and 90's should be sliding in the collector area some but I doubt they will get to the c3 and olders point ever because from the c4 on up to most people its just a vette. I kind of blame chevy on this one as they lose the unique body styles that set them all apart. I love my c4 and all but I doubt it will ever make it to the collect point or any of the ones after that.
I think you are right, and if only we could go back in time and grab all those 1960s and early 70s cars. In the 1980s, if only we knew...

I recall the "explosion" of collecting in the 1980s, and how the same changed for the 50s, 60s, and 70s cars. And as those rose - the desirable ones, so did the rest...

Now, with kids of the 70s in their 40s and in many cases looking for their childhood, they are looking at cars of the 80s and even some in the early 90s for "fun" cars. And they can now afford them, too. That's key in all this too, I think.

As for the 80s and 90s Corvettes, I get calls every week asking to authenticate a VIN on a Callaway Corvette. Most of them trade hands privately, or are sold offline.

The Callaway Corvettes will remain at the top of collectability for the simple reasons of Power, Style, and Exclusivity - low production numbers, big power, and unique styling. Drive a Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette and never look back

The fact that we still support the cars 27+ years later, is also a plus, as manufacturers don't have any real obligation beyond 10 years, in actuality.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Now, with kids of the 70s in their 40s and in many cases looking for their childhood, they are looking at cars of the 80s and even some in the early 90s for "fun" cars. And they can now afford them, too. That's key in all this too, I think.
What about Kids of the 80's? - I agree about being able to afford them. My wife knows how much I have always loved the C4 and we were able to purchase ours with cash. While I couldn't afford a Callaway car, the LT4 we purchased is a ton of car for the money and will bring many, many years of "fun" to our family.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyLifter
What about Kids of the 80's? - I agree about being able to afford them. My wife knows how much I have always loved the C4 and we were able to purchase ours with cash. While I couldn't afford a Callaway car, the LT4 we purchased is a ton of car for the money and will bring many, many years of "fun" to our family.
Perhaps, but not at the same rate as the kids born in the 70s. 25-35 year olds are not quite at the same place yet to have the disposable income and such that those born in the late 60s through the 70s have, which is a pretty strong demographic for buying cars of the 80s right now.

I'm sure your Corvette is a ton of fun, as ALL Corvettes should be. Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Future Collectible?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyLifter
my youngest bro was born in 82. He bought one (red 85) within a month of me buying my black 87.

just as long as the car is clean is all that matters.

if you love stingrays....do u really care if its a collector stingray or do u want a nice clean one. and you have to py the price now on a clean c3 stingray. its the same for all these type of cars. and yes its all related to agegroup plus income levels. whatever car u and your buds had on your wall as a kid is the one u will always have a special place for and if u have the disposable income u will buy it. some people call it a mid life crisis. really its just treating yourself.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

A ZR-1 is a lot more fun to drive than any other C4 collectible, IMO.

Best bargain for the buck, hands down.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
my youngest bro was born in 82. He bought one (red 85) within a month of me buying my black 87.

just as long as the car is clean is all that matters.

if you love stingrays....do u really care if its a collector stingray or do u want a nice clean one. and you have to py the price now on a clean c3 stingray. its the same for all these type of cars. and yes its all related to agegroup plus income levels. whatever car u and your buds had on your wall as a kid is the one u will always have a special place for and if u have the disposable income u will buy it. some people call it a mid life crisis. really its just treating yourself.
There were no C4, C5, or C6 Stingrays.....

Quick Reply: Future Collectible?