C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Missing Decals

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM
suicidejockey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Decals

The decals are missing from inside the door jam on my '87. I've searched "decals" from the major suppliers and mostly get GS fender stripes and a cool sticker that goes on your side-view mirror that says "Objects in mirror are losing". Is there anybody making repop decals? Also could somebody post a pic of their car so I can get the placement correct if I find a set? Thanks. Bob
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

I noticed they want a photo of the existing decal, don’t know if this will be of any help.

http://www.ecsvin.com/order.php

B17Crew

Last edited by B17Crew; 03-29-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The decal for the mirror can be found on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-OBJECTS-IN-MIRROR-ARE-LOSING-SET-OF-2-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-JDM-Racing-/181460041799?hash=item2a3fdc8047&vxp=mtr
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as placement on the drivers door. These are the original stickers on my 87.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM
suicidejockey
Pro

Thanks for the help guys! Crewzin, that pic is exactly what I needed. Thank you. B17, I'll give that website a try. Maybe they can make a set without having a pic.

Last edited by suicidejockey; 03-29-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added name
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Originally Posted by suicidejockey
Maybe they can make a set without having a pic.
That’s what I was hoping. If the data is provided, that they would be able to print you a new door label.

B17Crew
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Thanks for the help guys! Crewzin, that pic is exactly what I needed. Thank you. B17, I'll give that website a try. Maybe they can make a set without having a pic.
Originally Posted by B17Crew
That’s what I was hoping. If the data is provided, that they would be able to print you a new door label.

B17Crew

They will NOT without a digital image that is legible of the original.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM
suicidejockey
Pro

WVZR-1 is right. However I contacted the GM Media Center and I'm waiting for a call back to see if I can get them directly from GM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WVZR-1 is right. However I contacted the GM Media Center and I'm waiting for a call back to see if I can get them directly from GM.
Once the vehicle is sold to a "retail purchaser" and it's no longer the property of GM there is no way to get GM to help. I KNOW!

A collision 1 day after delivery with damage that would have required a Certification Label and because the vehicle was paid for in cash the DMV had already done the paper work that same day. The vehicle being out of MSO - GM wouldn't participate. This was before ECS aand there were some very serious not quite friendly exchanges involved in an attempt to get them duplicated and reissued by GM. It never happened. 1 day old less than 3 mile from dealership.

Has that changed in the last 20 years. I wouldn't think so BUT since everything is subject to change maybe.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
suicidejockey
Pro

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you. I don't understand why something as simple as a couple of door labels should be so difficult to get.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you. I don't understand why something as simple as a couple of door labels should be so difficult to get.
If it were "simple" there would likely be many more salvage resales, fraudulent restorations etc. It's meant to be difficult for a reason. My experience was 20 years ago and I actually do understand. If someone gets hit in the "left door/lock post" vicinity and the Certification Label is going to need to be removed you need to do it well before hand. Insurance companies don't offer BUT they will pay if approached with the request. If you're a "claimant" no problem.

Most of my friends have snapshots on file for their cars.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Most of my friends have snapshots on file for their cars.
A very good suggestion.

B17Crew
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
LNO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The decals are missing from inside the door jam on my '87. I've searched "decals" from the major suppliers and mostly get GS fender stripes and a cool sticker that goes on your side-view mirror that says "Objects in mirror are losing". Is there anybody making repop decals? Also could somebody post a pic of their car so I can get the placement correct if I find a set? Thanks. Bob

I also have a similar issue on my 96. I bought it in 2005 and didn't notice that the door decals were missing at that time.
Two years ago I contacted ECS Automotive and explained my problem. I told them I had the manufacturer's build sheet (showing VIN and date of manufacture), the service parts ID label and proof of vehicle registration.

ECS Automotive Concepts
719 Goddard Ave.
Chesterfield, MO 63005
They came back to me and said that in order for them to provide duplicate decals they would need the following:
"Please obtain the information below on gm letter head with contact information or send us their report copy from GM the information was found on. We can not accept the information on any other form or method per our licensing agreements, thank you!

1.Build date
2. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
3. GAWR front & rear (Gross Axle Weight Rating)"

I tried contacting GM with no success.

20 June 2015
I was pleasantly surprised at the end of May when I received a phone call from GM Customer Support. This was in response to a letter I wrote to GM back in February asking for help on obtaining a replacement VIN Decal.
A very nice gentleman named Jasper listened to my tale of woe and offered to help.
I told him that I had communicated with ECS (as noted above) and needed the vehicle weights and build date written in a letter from GM.
He told me that GM did not offer this service, BUT he did provide me with the phone number of a company in Canada that does provide this type of information on behalf of GM but on their own letterhead.
I expressed concern that ECS may not accept the information on letterhead other than GM. A day later, I got a call back from Jasper. He had called ECS and they told him that they would accept the information from this source. They are:
Vintage Vehicle Services and they are located in Oshawa Ontario Canada. Their phone number is 905-440-7689.

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/veh-info.html
For a fee, they will provide a letter with the Gross axel weights (front and rear), Gross Vehicle weight and build date.

I then sent a copy of the letter to ECS. They requested proof of my vehicle so I sent them a photo of the Service Parts Identification decal (located under the floor in the hatch area).

I placed an order and received the replacement label in the mail today.

My thanks to a GM customer service rep that went above and beyond and to ECS and Vintage Vehicle Services for supplying what I needed.

Last edited by LNO; 06-20-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 PM
suicidejockey
Pro

Yeah ECS are not the friendliest people I've ever dealt with. GM called me back today. The guy was all excited. "I found the solution! Call these people!" and then proceeded to give me ECS' number. I was not amused.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Yeah ECS are not the friendliest people I've ever dealt with. GM called me back today. The guy was all excited. "I found the solution! Call these people!" and then proceeded to give me ECS' number. I was not amused.
The ECS "policy" is very plainly stated on their web-page and any other vendor that might suggest them. You need to understand they have to receive and do the calls similar to yours "ALL DAY LONG" because people insist on pushing the issue. I've bought from ECS several times (dozens) and never had anything but a first class experience.

There was no ECS when I "needed them".
Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

So I have to ask as to what is the purpose of needing these decals? I am genuinely curious. Other than an NCRS cert I don't know why anyone would need these. I have never seen a need for them.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kg4fku
So I have to ask as to what is the purpose of needing these decals? I am genuinely curious. Other than an NCRS cert I don't know why anyone would need these. I have never seen a need for them.
If they're missing it's reasonable to assume the car has been in a collision loss of substantial nature, it's an easy certification for a DMV issue - there's many reasons WHY - If you've never seen the need then maybe you never will.

Get notified of new replies

To Missing Decals

Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If they're missing it's reasonable to assume the car has been in a collision loss of substantial nature, it's an easy certification for a DMV issue - there's many reasons WHY - If you've never seen the need then maybe you never will.
Learn something everyday I suppose.

Never had anyone look at them or ask for them before for any type of state inspection and I have been through quite a few states that require inspections.

I always thought of these stickers like the tags on a new mattress.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Cruizin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
One sticker states the tyre loadings including the recommended tyre pressures for the factory tyre sizes - always handy to know.

the other sticker states your cars VIN number and build date so can be a DMV requirement when trying to prove the year of manufacture when relicensing an expired vehicle or passing smog laws in some states.

The Vin and build dates are a legal issue. Reproducing the stickers with something that is obviously not original (even if the details are correct and match the windscreen VIN) could prove time consuming if pulled up by a not so trusting police officer.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:05 PM
LNO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See New Information on my post of 1 April above

Quick Reply: Missing Decals