Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Quick" Release knobs for removing a targa top.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The targa will stay put until the day it needs to be removed for other than pleasure.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
The targa will stay put until the day it needs to be removed for other than pleasure.
Have you driven your car with the top removed? Very enjoyable if you haven't
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by rrt898
I know how to remove my Targa..lol. I wanted to know how to install the quick releases. The front hex bolts that do not come out, how do they come out to install the new ones??
Sorry. I couldn't figure out your question.
I don't know how the quick releases fit into the front bolt holes without interfering with the sun visors, but the front bolts can be removed from their brackets by first removing the roof. Then push down on the upper end of the bolt while you are turning the bolt with your roof wrench. The bracket is threaded, so once the bolt threads catch on the bracket threads, the bolt just un-screws.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
12 volt rechargeable cordless screwdriver. Beats them all

Actually made removing my targa ok.

Though the ultimate solution is to get a convertible vette ....
rrt898
Just do this the best way and the fastest and safest way your just confusing folks and insulting me just ask the one that fixes your car

Last edited by antfarmer2; 03-31-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
rrt898
Just do this the best way and the fastest and safest way your just confusing folks and insulting me just ask the one that fixes your car
Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Jimmy Keith Wright
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the you tube vidio of the targa top spinner handle bolts the guy put on his c4 corvette and I understand what the guy wanted to know where these type of bolts can be baught, the wrench is allmost 30 dollors and takes up space and you would have to put it in the storage compartment with the bit and the you tube thread the guy removed his to in only minuts and if you were in rain these would be handy, and they are not really in the way for you head, I would like to find a set for my c4 . He was just asking if anybody knew where they can be baught, I found them at hime depot, in the bolt isle there is a large set of drawers with all kinds of bolts with the small spinner handle on the bolts, I am not sure the thread size right now but they are metric, just do what I did and take one of the bolts with you to home depot and match the size up with a spinner bolt, there about 8 dollors each,,total 32 dollars plus tax and very handy looking idea insted of a bulky wrench to get them off.if every bolt neede a special wrench the the car would have a tool box built in.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 PM
Wall-E
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts
Default And once it unscrews ...

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Sorry. I couldn't figure out your question.
I don't know how the quick releases fit into the front bolt holes without interfering with the sun visors, but the front bolts can be removed from their brackets by first removing the roof. Then push down on the upper end of the bolt while you are turning the bolt with your roof wrench. The bracket is threaded, so once the bolt threads catch on the bracket threads, the bolt just un-screws.

... can it be removed thru hole in moulding ?

that is, can it be removed completely as in to be replaced ?
(​​​​​​​the head on the existing one is chewed up)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Quick" Release knobs for removing a targa top.