C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 c4 corvette backfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Sherod15t
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 c4 corvette backfire issue

This is my first time on any forum so bare with me..
I have a 94 vette with the lt1 and I am having an issue with bogging down real bad when I give it gas and then it will backfire.
I changed the starter as it was terrible.. I changed the air filter, plugs, wires and I cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Other things I've done include a new battery and fuel filter. I am at a loss as to what could be causing the problem. I hope it's not the opti but I think that might be the next thing I have to throw at it. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

For the best resolution to isolate your issues; you will need the Factory Service Manual, and retrieve any stored troublecodes stored.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherod15t
I have a 94 vette with the lt1 and I am having an issue with bogging down real bad when I give it gas and then it will backfire.
I changed the starter as it was terrible.. I changed the air filter, plugs, wires and I cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Other things I've done include a new battery and fuel filter. I am at a loss as to what could be causing the problem. I hope it's not the opti but I think that might be the next thing I have to throw at it. What are your thoughts?
Check for trouble codes first. It could be an electrical issue. The codes will help give direction. But to me the car is falling on its face and you have a fuel delivery issue possibly??? When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? The injectors may be starving. Report back with your findings so we can help you. Mileage?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

My 94 would run fine if I baby it and back fire under the hood when I gave it good gas and stumble and bogged down no codes replaced the two upstream o2's never ran better took the traction off and jumped on it my *** passed me

Last edited by antfarmer2; 03-30-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Since I was under it I pulled the knock sensors to give it a good flushing and replaced them could not bring myself to put back 20+ old parts
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Sherod15t
3rd Gear

The car has 97,000 miles on it and the fuel filter was changed less then 1,000 miles ago. There are no codes. I've been trying to get it to throw one. It is doing exactly what antfarmer2 is saying his did, I will deff try the O2 sensors. Where exactly are they located?

Last edited by Sherod15t; 03-30-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The car has 97,000 miles on it and the fuel filter was changed less then 1,000 miles ago. There are no codes. I've been trying to get it to throw one. It is doing exactly what antfarmer2 is saying his did, I will deff try the O2 sensors. Where exactly are they located?
One on either side in front of the cat you will need the short o2 wrench Orielys will loan them to you for a $20 deposit or sell them for $25 I just bought them I got my o2s off ebay bosh ......dinseis are good too
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Mine had 98000
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Sherod15t
3rd Gear

Not gonna lie I'm pretty excited to try this thanks for the advice! I'll letyou know if it fixes it when I get the sensors.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Not gonna lie I'm pretty excited to try this thanks for the advice! I'll letyou know if it fixes it when I get the sensors.
Great to many times you never hear back if it's fixed but I did do my knock sensors at the same time the only way to get a good flush and one side was plugged up bad
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If you follow the exhaust down from the manifold, you will see the sensors ahead of the cats. The first thing that will go through your mind is "how in the crap am I going to get to them". If you put your car on ramps and attack it from the bottom, access is not that bad. You will still need a u-joint socket to get to them, but overall not a bad job.

One more thing while waiting for your sensors to arrive, have you checked fuel pressure? Have you checked to see if the diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator is leaking? Finally have you inspected and cleaned the EGR valve? You can do all these checks for free, and it might lead to resolution of your problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by csthews
If you follow the exhaust down from the manifold, you will see the sensors ahead of the cats. The first thing that will go through your mind is "how in the crap am I going to get to them". If you put your car on ramps and attack it from the bottom, access is not that bad. You will still need a u-joint socket to get to them, but overall not a bad job.

One more thing while waiting for your sensors to arrive, have you checked fuel pressure? Have you checked to see if the diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator is leaking? Finally have you inspected and cleaned the EGR valve? You can do all these checks for free, and it might lead to resolution of your problem.
but with the set I got only standerd wrachet needed it was harder getting under the car than changing the o2's that why I recomend doing the flush and anything else needed while under there

Get notified of new replies

To 94 c4 corvette backfire issue

Quick Reply: 94 c4 corvette backfire issue