Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 Corvette Courtesy Lights Dimmer Module

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM
88C4convertible
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Corvette Courtesy Lights Dimmer Module

How do you disassemble the dash, or section of where it's located, my interior lights stay on and I want to do the mod where you splice the white wires to eliminate the delay dimmer module, I'll replace it maybe at a later date, right now, I need a little insight on what and how to take apart the necessary portion of the dash to access it. I know its supposed to be secured to a portion of the harness back there, I removed the front passenger flat panel, but that doesn't seem to show too much.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 88C4convertible
How do you disassemble the dash, or section of where it's located, my interior lights stay on and I want to do the mod where you splice the white wires to eliminate the delay dimmer module, I'll replace it maybe at a later date, right now, I need a little insight on what and how to take apart the necessary portion of the dash to access it. I know its supposed to be secured to a portion of the harness back there, I removed the front passenger flat panel, but that doesn't seem to show too much.
Thanks
All you need to do is remove the panel in the passenger side foot well. The panel with the light in it.

Once its removed lay in the seat and put your head against the floorboard right at the firewall. Look straight up for a large wiring harness that runs across about 3 or 4 inches above where the panel was. There will be a piece of yellowish looking tape wrapped around it securing the module to the harness. Cut the tape and pull the module down and unplug it. Now cut and splice the 3 white wires together. 1 of the wires is by itself the other 2 are side by side. Leave the module removed. Works great.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I have pictures from when I did mine if you have problems finding it. Im going to make a howto on my site but Im remotely upgrading a server right now so my bandwidth is a bit taxed at the moment.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM
88C4convertible
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crowz
I have pictures from when I did mine if you have problems finding it. Im going to make a howto on my site but Im remotely upgrading a server right now so my bandwidth is a bit taxed at the moment.

I appreciate the insight, is there more than the two hex screws holding that panel? I've looked at it somewhat, I'll look better in the morning when daylight can help besides a mag light....doesn't sound all that hard, I had 2 definite shorts, that was the biggy, the other is my power door locks, for now, I'll just remove that relay, that with the cty light fuse took the drain to 0.0 from 6.something amps, drained overnite pretty fast.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Wait there was one thing I forgot. I took the heater duct out that bolts up right at the front of that panel your removing. Needed to come out to have room to get the module out.

On the other question 2 screws is all I removed. BUT that doesn't mean that's all there is. Its amazing how many screws get left out when people take stuff apart so that's all mine had in it but that doesn't mean yours will only have 2

Theres a hole in the back side of that panel that looked like a screw or something could of gone thru it but there wasn't anything in it when I removed mine. I had to pull on it pretty hard even with the screws removed. Its kind of a pull down and twards the passenger door deal to remove it. Don't forget to unplug the floor board light when its down far enough.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Theres a hole in the back side of that panel that looked like a screw or something could of gone thru it but there wasn't anything in it when I removed mine.
I have wondered about that hole. It seems like something is missing on the passenger side. The driver's side has a stud that the corresponding hole goes over.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have wondered about that hole. It seems like something is missing on the passenger side. The driver's side has a stud that the corresponding hole goes over.
I tried to find something it hooked to but I couldn't find anything under there for it to go to.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM
88C4convertible
Intermediate

Ok, got to it, found the module, unplugged it, rechecked for my short, and sure enough, it's still gone, but, I did not splice the wires yet, I plugged the fuse back in, and interior lights work with the light switch, what does the splicing of the 3 wires do, allow the door switches to operate??? or????

and a side bar for anyone also doing this, there is an anomaly on the wire colors, mine are; one white and the 2 wires that are together are yellow instead of white, but in the correct place on the connector

edit;
never mind, answered my own question in the repair pdf...reads as follows

The module is wired:
"A" White wire goes to all of the lamps and supplies negative
"B" Black is Ground. Shorting White to Black will turn the lights on.
"C" Pink/White is 12 volts from the Ctsy/Clk fuse which is hot all of the time.
"D" 2 Yellow wires - (these may be white for some years) come from the Door switches.
The switches close when the door is open and provides a ground on the Yellow (or
white) wire/wires depending on what door is open.
"E" is the Reset signal used by the Delay Module to turn the Module off when you
turn the ignition key to on. So the lights go off.

this also mentions the 2 wires being yellow on some models like mine are.
Thanks again!!!!!

Last edited by 88C4convertible; 03-31-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Splicing the wires together gets the door switches to turn the lights on when the doors are open and makes the switches on edge of the doors pop the hatch (if they are there on the coupe, I cant remember in my coupe had them or not) or the convertible cover.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:41 PM
88C4convertible
Intermediate

Splicing the wires together gets the door switches to turn the lights on when the doors are open and makes the switches on edge of the doors pop the hatch (if they are there on the coupe, I cant remember in my coupe had them or not) or the convertible cover.
Thanks, yeah figured that out, appreciate the fast response and knowledge, just washed it today and had a little fun wearing off the old winter rubber from the tires lol, making sure the summer rubber was ready

Last edited by 88C4convertible; 03-31-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I soo want to drive my vert but the weather is being nasty again. Its warm now but very bad electrical storms and heavy rain.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Corvette Courtesy Lights Dimmer Module

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 Corvette Courtesy Lights Dimmer Module