C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's your go to auto parts store?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Advance

If the rockauto waiting is not possible for me, Advance. The location by my house has a very good staff who know what they are talking about.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I like Rock Auto if I have the time and shipping is not too much.

I also frequently use Advance Auto Parts because if you google search for Advance Coupons it will give you discount codes. Today I got one for 35% off. You can buy it online with the option to pick it up at the store. It will be waiting for you when you get there (about 1/2 hour). It has saved me a bunch of money and with coupon codes it makes for some pretty good pricing.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 AM
jsdomino
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the major dealers have a "frequent buyer club", but I like the NAPA one best. They give you 10% off right at the counter, you don't have to wait for a coupon or discount in your email.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

I've ordered a good deal from both Rock Auto and Summit. Jegs twice.

For local stuff I got to Pep Boys and/or Autozone. KOI is my next choice and then Advance followed up by O'Reillys. PB has some solid deals online. O'Reillys has the highest prices.

Later,

Lee
Old 04-01-2015, 01:50 AM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am the manager of one of the national chain stores. The differences among us are not that great as regards price and availability. As many forum members have noted repeatedly in the foregoing comments it's the people who are the most important aspect of your parts store choice.

I try to hire only those people with at least a modicum of automotive knowledge and enthusiasm. It's difficult when you are constrained by corporate maximum wage guidelines to get the best people. I have been extremely fortunate to find and retain some of the finest individuals I have had the pleasure to work with. One of my team members has 18 ASE certifications. He has what I call the largest "Fan Club" in the store. By that I mean that we have customers who will specifically call for an individual who has been particularly helpful to them.

As an aware consumer it pays to shop around until you find a place (or places) where the staff takes a genuine interest in your needs. In return, your store will generally go farther to solve your problems because they know you and like you and like doing business with you.

I tell my new people, "Everyone who walks through that door has a problem. And car problems are no fun at all. When we help them we've done something to lift their spirits and make their day a little better." It's what we do. It really doesn't matter what store you go to as long as you're treated right.

We all make mistakes. We all sell the occasionally defective part. It's what happens after we screw up that's important. In an environment where price alone is increasingly considered the prime determinant of value it pays to consider what a live human being is worth to you. The online stores provide good quality parts at very low prices. But it's nigh onto impossible to show them your canooter valve or your muffler bearing and get an informed analysis of what you need. When you don't need any help they're great, if you can wait for the parts to arrive.

In conclusion it's the people who make the difference. And we all like doing business with our friends.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It all depends on what i'm buying, the time span i will need it, and if the part will need a warranty replacement. If i'm buying a part that will one day need a warranty replacement I like to buy them at a brick and mortor store, usually vatozone or advance. I will research what brands are best for what im needing. Also usually there is a coupon for Advance Autoparts on retailmenot.com, It really helps. I have bought magnaflow mufflers with a advance autoparts coupon online cheaper than jegs or summit. If i'm set on a certain brand and i wont need a warranty, then i usually purchase it online. If i'm buying oil, wax, wiper blades, fuses ect, I usually go to vatozone because its closest to me.

Last edited by TurbineSurgine; 04-01-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:56 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
AutoZone. The Advance Auto Parts store close to me now only hires 16 year old kids with no automotive knowledge at all. I needed brake rotors and the young girl (with an attitude) behind the counter asked me who makes the Corvette........??? Then she fumbled around on the computer for a few minutes and said that the brake rotors for my 85 are no longer available. I needed to go to C5 brakes.......???
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I needed an intake plenum gaskets for my LT5 and the pimply-faced kid looks it up on his computer and fetches a gaskets for an L98. Welcome to the world of owning ZR-1s! I'll cut him some slack; he's young and doesn't know the difference, and I almost expected that. But, I didn't expect what happens next!

After I explained the mistake, he insists it is the right part - I guess because that is what the computer coughed up.

So, I tell him, "Come here and show me where that part of yours fits!"

He was still looking for where that L98 gasket went when the owner, Steve, (friend of mine) sees me and walks up to gaze at the motor and gets a puzzled look on his face before asking the kid what he was doing? He got no answer, so I told him about the error, and "not everyone believes me", even when I make it clear it is not an L98. Steve does a . I guess that kid washed out. Never saw him again.

But, to the OP's question:

In the end, I guess you could say my loyalty depends on which one meets my needs best, regardless of what the sign says out front of the store. Where I live, the best service and availability of OEM (or best equivalent) parts and even special tools on hand happens to be: AutoZone, followed by Rock Auto. But, your mileage may vary, depending on where you live.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Recently purchased a trailer brake controller then a new - no core required - starter on line from Amazon, saved $$.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

I used to work at advance so I'm a little biased, haha. I like going to most advance auto parts but a few here and there seem to have morons in them. I only go to autozone if I'm in dire need and I can't find the part anywhere else because EVERY SINGLE autozone I have ever been into has idiots behind the counter. Ignoring customers and treating you like garbage.

I returned a grease gun to autozone recently and the guy was trying to accuse me of using it. I told him to look at it and he said it looked used. I told him then they need a new supplier for their "New" grease guns because I never used the damn thing. It seems to be very rare that you find a parts store that has intelligent staff because the pay is so low. No O'reillys near me but I have looked at their site and they were a good $10-20 more than advance or autozone for the same part. I rarely go to Napa, the store is a dump.

I try to use Amazon and Rockauto when I can. (Amazon prime is king!)

Last edited by v8vette84; 04-01-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Parts

Originally Posted by kdtomczak
We have autozone, advance auto parts, a few O'reilly's and some car quests in my area. Advance and Autozone are the closest and I prefer them. The others don't seem to ever have anything in stock and have to special order it.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of price comparing to Rock Auto though.

This doesn't have to specifically involve your Vette. Just in general.
Advance, Amazon, carparts.com, Ebay, the internet, Autozone ---- about in that order------ Advance lets you buy it online and pick it up at the store and you usually save at least 20%. You can find coupons online for Advance that come and go quickly (for larger purchases). Autozone, does not do much of this. All this depends on the part. Been forced to go on the internet and soon we all will be buying most things there. The price difference between retail stores and the internet is large.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
The price difference between retail stores and the internet is large.

So is the "quality and sometimes maybe most times" the originality of what you're buying is going to if NOT already has diminished. No "toe to toe" for discussion of potential problems.

If you're buying local and you have a major component failure of a purchase (maybe a clutch), the "toe to toe" discussion for some financial reimbursement for the aggravation of the redo is much easier.

Nothing, nothing beats a local sale where there's a reasonable price comparison. The sales tax argument? I dont think works either. The "local sale" might maybe put "bread on the table" for someones family tonight.

What do you do for a living? Anything that relies on local participation/purchases or services?

Comment wasn't directed towards "auggy" -it was actually something that everyone needs to consider.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-01-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I like the set-up Pep Boys has, but Autozone's computers offer you a visual on the part you may be looking for to buy. There is an O'Reilly here, but it's location is awkward, and only go there if all others have failed.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to go to the local auto store here that is not a chain but there prices are high in a bind I can get it from them.

I have given up on all of the other major chain stores the people working there are no help and will give you the wrong part if you let them.

Rock auto is cheap but they drop ship everything and it can take awhile to get the part, I have had stuff take up to 3 weeks to receive.

Where I am located I can get parts from Summit in one day, if I order it at 8:00pm it will be on the door by noon the next day free shipping most of the time and they price match all other internet sites including Rock Auto, sux for them but good for me. I would recommend Summit to anyone I have had no problems with them.

Art
Old 04-02-2015, 12:47 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fortunately, my Napa has a small but great crew who knows parts and
realize that I bring money in.

Unfortunately my AutoZone not only hires the mentally handicapped
but also hires people who think speaking understandable English is
an unfair requirement and have actually tried to get me to learn the
Spanish equivalent! Screw AutoZone, they can GSAD! I drive 8 miles
out of their way to hit Napa.

I'm glad others have better luck with AZ...

Quick Reply: What's your go to auto parts store?