C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1993 Vette Power Antenna Bypass Switch Install- Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Default 1993 Vette Power Antenna Bypass Switch Install- Video

I didn't like the way my radio power antenna looks when cruising and listening to a cd on the aftermarket Sony stereo I have installed. The bypass switch allows you to control when the power antenna is up or down. My car has the Bose system removed. The pink wire is specific to the 1993 model year I believe, later models '94-96 incorporated a green wire instead of pink. Enjoy the video - Ozz

Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Point #1: the pink wire is not exclusive to the '93. My '84 has the same pink wire, and I'm quite sure that pink wire is the same for the '84 thru the '93's.
Your switch installation gives you two choices: (1) automatic all-the-way-up-and-all-the-way-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key, or (2) down.
I don't like the automatic-up-and-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key feature, and want the antenna to stay up about one foot, rather than at its full height, even when the car is parked. I put the switch in the orange wire rather than the pink wire. Now my choices are: (1) automatic all-the-way-up-and-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key, or (2) hold the position of the antenna at any height, including full down. If the car is parked with the antenna up at any height, the antenna can be lowered to the down position merely by flipping the switch. The ignition does not have to be turned on.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-31-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Point #1: the pink wire is not exclusive to the '93. My '84 has the same pink wire, and I'm quite sure that pink wire is the same for the '84 thru the '93's.
Your switch installation gives you two choices: (1) automatic all-the-way-up-and-all-the-way-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key, or (2) down.
I don't like the automatic-up-and-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key feature, and want the antenna to stay up about one foot, rather than at its full height, even when the car is parked. I put the switch in the orange wire rather than the pink wire. Now my choices are: (1) automatic all-the-way-up-and-down-every-time-you-move-the-ignition-key, or (2) hold the position of the antenna at any height, including full down. If the car is parked with the antenna up at any height, the antenna can be lowered to the down position merely by flipping the switch. The ignition does not have to be turned on.

Good information to know...thanks for sharing! Ozz
Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Good information to know...thanks for sharing! Ozz
I actually took this mod 1 step farther. I took the little tray that drops in the cubby where the jack is stored (this is where you access the wiring for the power antenna) and enlarge the hole in the front of it. I believe the hole is just there to help you lift the tray out... anyways I used a small toggle switch and installed it in an angle bracket and used molding tape to adhere it to an electrical connection right in front of the hole in the tray.
Now I can access the switch by just popping the compartment lid and reaching into the hole I enlarged with 1 finger and flip the switch on or off.
For those days when you run out of CD's.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by NoTyme
I actually took this mod 1 step farther. I took the little tray that drops in the cubby where the jack is stored (this is where you access the wiring for the power antenna) and enlarge the hole in the front of it. I believe the hole is just there to help you lift the tray out... anyways I used a small toggle switch and installed it in an angle bracket and used molding tape to adhere it to an electrical connection right in front of the hole in the tray.
Now I can access the switch by just popping the compartment lid and reaching into the hole I enlarged with 1 finger and flip the switch on or off.
For those days when you run out of CD's.
I was thinking of mounting the switch there but the center console was more convenient for me and I already had the access hole for the amplifier speaker wires. Anyway you dice it and slice it, the modification is NICE to have!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
I was thinking of mounting the switch there but the center console was more convenient for me and I already had the access hole for the amplifier speaker wires.
Actually that is where I would have liked the switch to be but the hassle of running the wires up to the area left me with taking the easy way out.
Good job.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I went to do this mod when I removed my stock head unit and installed an ALpine. After all the fuss, the Alpine puts the antenna down automatically when listening to the CD changer or Tapes. So I got rid of the switch and associated wiring. Pink wire on my '92 too.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 Vette Power Antenna Bypass Switch Install- Video

Quick Reply: 1993 Vette Power Antenna Bypass Switch Install- Video