C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

leather seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by steve1657
Congrats. Looks like we will be both entering the Fourth Circle of Hog Ring Hell! . Somehow I always knew that's where I would end up.
If you need some advice let me know happy to help. best to talked before you screw it up.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
If you need some advice let me know happy to help. best to talked before you screw it up.
Yes! Antfarmer2 I will read your thread and hit you up on advice. The estimated delivery date per seller/ebay is Feb 25- Mar 4.

Hog Rings here we come!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio Monk
Yes! Antfarmer2 I will read your thread and hit you up on advice. The estimated delivery date per seller/ebay is Feb 25- Mar 4.

Hog Rings here we come!
I would not schedule any work on the car based on the eta or take the seats out in-advance. I am still pumped to receive mine, but delayed from original date. For two bills, I just hope the overall quality is there as we are certainly not paying for customer service. That and the deal with my wife is I need to finish painting the interior of our house before I start on the seats. Anyone in northern Colorado good with a roller
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not schedule any work on the car based on the eta or take the seats out in-advance. I am still pumped to receive mine, but delayed from original date. For two bills, I just hope the overall quality is there as we are certainly not paying for customer service. That and the deal with my wife is I need to finish painting the interior of our house before I start on the seats. Anyone in northern Colorado good with a roller
Thanks for the heads up on the eta. I guess I'll do my weatherstripping, window sweeps, and floppy door panel fix before the seats. Good luck with the paint.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thanks for the heads up on the eta. I guess I'll do my weatherstripping, window sweeps, and floppy door panel fix before the seats. Good luck with the paint.
Look at my window sweep post all four under a hundred think my pad fix is in there too.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM
steve1657
Pro

I guess I may have spoken a little too soon. I just emailed the supplier and received a prompt response confirming FedEx tracking and the shipment is on the truck out for delivery today !!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:06 PM
steve1657
Pro

Thank you Antman !! Once I get a bit more into the project and if I have any questions I will certainly reach out. You seem to troll these forums on a continual basis , seems as any support will be a short reply away
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thank you Antman !! Once I get a bit more into the project and if I have any questions I will certainly reach out. You seem to troll these forums on a continual basis , seems as any support will be a short reply away
I will be around as long as my wife is having a good day.

Better get painting. Lol

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-09-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW I installed new leather seat upholstery on my 1988 Lincoln about 4-5 years ago. I went w/ perforated, duplicate of OE. I later decided I prefarated the non perf, because I believe it will crack sooner than non-perf.

We also installed duplicated seat leather on both of our 1996 Impala SS's. Went w/ non perf.

All 3 cars look and smell like NEW!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

This guy sell in places other than eBay? I don't do eBay any more.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
This guy sell in places other than eBay? I don't do eBay any more.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
I found an upholsterer through a buddy of mine who owns a 95 Z28. His seats looked great, so I got the info to his guy. The upholsterer told me he would charge me $200 for both seats completed. If they needed anything extra, it would be on him. Well he did need to do more work than anticipated.

He had the same issue I did. The material where the hog rings go was ripping. He called and explained everything to me. He also showed me the issue.

Well, the material that was sewed on the covers is called Cambridge. It's a very weak material that is made for furniture. It normally goes on the bottom of couches and recliners. It's weak and it tears. My guy ended up taking that crap out and sewing in new material called decking. This material is used to cover spring boxes for beds. It's super strong and you can't tear it.

So my guy ended up taking the covers apart and sewing the correct material to the new covers. If you look at the original seats in your C4s, it's actually leather where the hog rings go. But this is where our friend who sells the covers cheaped out on.

So, in the end the covers are well worth the $249. My guy said that's a hell of a deal. Here is a pic of the final product.
Help me out here. How is that a hell of a deal? I get the Wilcox one at $750 with anywhere from 15% to 20% discount. I mised the 20% so I'll wait the next time around if I had to but that gets to $637.50 vs $230. Now I have to pay $200 to get it mounted. Fair enough. However, what you didn't say is how much more the guy would have charged now that he knows that the material is cheap and tears and has to replace it.

Here is my math. Regardless of which route I go, I am getting new seat cushions. So unless I try salvage the old stuff and put the new covers on (not that crazy yet), I am looking at $310 for the foam and $750 bringing it to a total of $1060 but I can get the whole thing mounted for $1080 and when they offer 20% off, I will get it for $864. So, if I get this $200 deal, plus the covers will net $510. Say I pay $200 to do it AS IS, it is about $710 which is about $154 less than if I used his covers. I don't consider that a "hell of a deal". Next thing, if the guy has to redo the material from Cambridge to Decking, what will that cost me?

Anyone know what backing material that comes with Wilcox or other vendors?

Last edited by aklim; 02-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

His seats are ready to put in yours are not. Have not seen the wilcox but imagine you still need to put in your seatback rods and mount over the frames.
On mine I did them myself so cost me $249.00 & $20.00 for the hogring tool and rings so $269.00 total hell of a deal. If you need foam $300.00 more.
I had no problem doing it myself but did two years in the cushion room at G.M.
Just another way of going and wanted to share.
Either way if you pay someone to mount them it will cost.
Now they are getting the seat covers for under $200.00 evan better deal!!!!!!!!!
I had no problem with the material just don't start or rip from the edge. If I did it again I would put some glue on the edge to help.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-12-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

His seats are ready to put in yours are not. Have not seen the wilcox but imagine you still need to put in your seatback rods and mount over the frames.
On mine I did them myself so cost me $249.00 & $20.00 for the hogring tool and rings so $269.00 total hell of a deal. If you need foam $300.00 more.
I had no problem doing it myself but did two years in the cushion room at G.M.
Just another way of going and wanted to share.
Either way if you pay someone to mount them it will cost.
Now they are getting the seat covers for under $200.00 evan better deal!!!!!!!!!
I had no problem with the material just don't start or rip from the edge. If I did it again I would put some glue on the edge to help.
My question is concerning the material. If others are $750 and this one is $650, no worries but when others are $750 and this one is $200, I think it is a valid question how he sells it for less than a third of what others are doing. What is he leaving out? After all, if others want $3000 to do your roof and I agree to do it for under $1000, wouldn't you ask why I am so cheap?

With ELVGTO mentioning the material difference, it does definitely make me wonder why he can do it for such a low price. I guess I will always be the one to look a gift horse in the mouth since I have been skewered by so many good deals that didn't turn out to be so good in the long run.

If we compare cover to cover, he is doing $200 when others are $750. Have YOU ever asked how he did it?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The materials don't cost that much. I know what he is talking about where it tore but that happend from his mistake. The material that was replaced cost less than a buck. They are very well made I agree they could have used differant where he had problems but I had none. The rest is mark up. My wife buys purses that cost much more than my first car. And I can not see why they cost that much more than any other but was not winning that one.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:55 PM
steve1657
Pro

Originally Posted by aklim
My question is concerning the material. If others are $750 and this one is $650, no worries but when others are $750 and this one is $200, I think it is a valid question how he sells it for less than a third of what others are doing. What is he leaving out? After all, if others want $3000 to do your roof and I agree to do it for under $1000, wouldn't you ask why I am so cheap?

With ELVGTO mentioning the material difference, it does definitely make me wonder why he can do it for such a low price. I guess I will always be the one to look a gift horse in the mouth since I have been skewered by so many good deals that didn't turn out to be so good in the long run.

If we compare cover to cover, he is doing $200 when others are $750. Have YOU ever asked how he did it?

How do YOU know the difference is the material ? Have you purchased both sets and compared or are you basing your opinion on one CF member post.

Maybe some things are better not known.... I'm guessing child labor
This supplier only ships out of TX, I believe that actual manufacturing is completed by an Asian gentlemen in AU.

For the $200 price point, I am very pleased with the quality and craftsmanship. Yes, I know that I am not paying for the highest quality materials or an OE replacement, but I CHOSE to go this route as a viable alternative at minimal cost expenditure for my desired results after carefully weighing the options.

I still see the VALUE. You don't, but why question someone else's decision to the point of being condescending.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I strongly considered buying from him. But his communication sucked. So I figured his customer service would also suck.

I agree though for $200 can't go to wrong, especially if nothing is wrong and don't need customer service. Funny I bid more than $200 a few times and he wouldn't budge.

I fit it in the same category as cheap Chinese **** that gets bashed a lot around here.

Get notified of new replies

To leather seat covers

Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Onlyone
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were pretty simple to install. Just tore in a few areas of the hog rings. He could have spent a little more for fabric but if you know what your doing it works fine.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The materials don't cost that much. I know what he is talking about where it tore but that happend from his mistake. The material that was replaced cost less than a buck. They are very well made I agree they could have used differant where he had problems but I had none. The rest is mark up. My wife buys purses that cost much more than my first car. And I can not see why they cost that much more than any other but was not winning that one.
There's the issue. The material replaced may or may not cost much however, the labor does. The way I calculate something is not based on whether I do the work myself or someone does it. I go off what the book rate is to figure out how much something costs. So if it costs me $100 to farm out the job to make your product up to spec, that is what I add to the cost of the item. After all, my time is worth something.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

How do YOU know the difference is the material ? Have you purchased both sets and compared or are you basing your opinion on one CF member post.

Maybe some things are better not known.... I'm guessing child labor
This supplier only ships out of TX, I believe that actual manufacturing is completed by an Asian gentlemen in AU.

For the $200 price point, I am very pleased with the quality and craftsmanship. Yes, I know that I am not paying for the highest quality materials or an OE replacement, but I CHOSE to go this route as a viable alternative at minimal cost expenditure for my desired results after carefully weighing the options.

I still see the VALUE. You don't, but why question someone else's decision to the point of being condescending.
I never said I had both in hand. Even if I did, I'm not in upholstery so I can't say which is better. However, I am simply raising the question based on what someone said they had to do to make it right. Also, I am interested in how that compares with what Eckler's, Wilcox, Corvette America, etc is offering.

I prefer to know as much as I can. I can always discard information that I think is irrelevant. I cannot always get the information I want to have to make the decision.

No issue with that.

I question everything ESPECIALLY when the deal is way below average. At the price of LESS THAN A THIRD of what others are selling it for, only a fool doesn't ask why it is such a great deal. Does it mean you cannot take it? Absolutely not. However, if you are too stupid to ask the question of how he did it so cheaply, you deserve to get screwed over and over. THAT, IMO, is the order of things. Fools and their money should be parted.

Quick Reply: leather seat covers