Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rocker Panels - Glued or merely bolted on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:58 PM
vincesf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocker Panels - Glued or merely bolted on?

Are the Rocker Panels on a C4, glued like the C5 on... or are they merely bolted on. I have seen posts that there are tricks to removing the bolts but was not sure if the panel is also epoxied to the car.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just bolted/screwed.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

10mm bolts/screws if I recall correctly. There is one each at the front wheel well and the rear also along with a few along the lower edge of the panel.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
10mm bolts/screws if I recall correctly. There is one each at the front wheel well and the rear also along with a few along the lower edge of the panel.
first of all, the C4 rocker panel is NOT glued or epoxied. I don't know the exact sizes of the hardware, but on my 85, there are two torx screws on the front fender liner. there is a series of 4 chrome or stainless torx trim screws on the inside (door) lip of the panel, along with a series of six, 7mm (head) self tapping screws along the bottom edge of the panel. now here's a tricky one - at the rear, behind the forward side of the rear fender liner, there is a small self tapper - I'm thinking it's another 7mm (head) screw, and only about 1/4" long. the rear fender liner has a tab, that utilizes the bottom rear rocker panel screw. inside the inner cavity is located that tricky little booger. the aft rocker panel and rear fender liner fits together like a puzzle. if the car in question has had any paint/body work that required removal of the rocker panels, chances are that small self tappers were never re-installed.

(TO INSTALL) seems to me, you need to install the rocker panel first WITHOUT the rear inner fender liner and without the bottom rear self tapping screw. then, you'll need to install that small self tapping screw from inside the wheel well opening. now install the rear inner fender liner and fit the bottom tab under the rear edge of the rocker panel. finally align the holes in the fender liner tab, and rocker panel and install the last, bottom, self tapping screw.

(TO REMOVE) reverse the above....

Last edited by Joe C; 04-19-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 AM
vincesf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker Panels - Glued or merely bolted on?

Quick Reply: Rocker Panels - Glued or merely bolted on?