C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bought Sight Unseen

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Enjoy the drive home and tale lots of pics. Some tips for the "fly and drive". Unless recently done, have the owner change out the upper radiator hose as the underhood temps cause it to fail early. Make sure the spare is aired up and that the car has its jack/lug wrench/lug nut key. Pack some tools in your luggage - if you are only using carry on luggage then you might be better off stopping at a Wal Mart on the way home and buying a few. Include some duct tape and wire in your tool kit.
I have done the "fly and drive" three times now and loved the adventure!
Thank you for the tips above. Actually I am having a car carrier transport it for me (covered) if I ever get a "ready to release date" from seller.

Thank you again
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRUZN C4
Nice Vette! Hope everything goes in your favor and you get it soon. Enjoy your C5 too.
Thank you and I hope too. I will be sure to post a follow up on this protracted transaction. All I want is the car! I'm whining
Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Where is the seller / car located? Maybe you can get some help from local forum members.

I sold a car to a guy in Florida. I happened to have a friend that lived close to the buyer. I got a $4K wire transfer deposit from the buyer then shipped the car and title to my friend.

The buyer went and looked the car over then wired the balance to me. When my bank confirmed receipt I called my friend and he gave the title and keys to the buyer.
Hi. Car is in San Mateo and I should have reached out and had someone look at it and also determine the mental state of the seller. I will have a follow up to all this with details-just want to get the car and title first. Don't want to "set off" the seller.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kimmer
Nice car but Admiral Blue is not metallic.
Yes, you are correct, not metallic.

Thanks for the correction. I have been in a state of frustration to the point of seeing double at times.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
where is the car if by me I can still shake a tree
In San Mateo
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HotrodCorvette
Get the car shipped and let the title process take its course. Possession is the important part.

I had an ebay deal like this before and it all worked out in the end.

Thanks. I'm calling the transporter tomorrow and try to make a quick pickup but I know that can take time.

I probably, by now, should have found someone to go pick it up for me.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TFJM
So, I wired the money on April 1st (yes, I know…) and I still don’t have the car. There have been a number of iterating and annoying reasons why including a lost title.
This.
Does.
Not.
Sound.
Good.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Best of luck, beautiful car!

Have you searched the san mateo CL and autotrader, see if it's for sale again?

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 04-21-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

In San Mateo
Sounds like cali not sure im in texas
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

San Mateo crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
www.neighborhoodscout.com › CA › San Mateo Real Estate
The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in San Mateo is 1 in 43. Based on FBI crime data, San Mateo is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to California, San Mateo has a crime rate that is higher than 50% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:14 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I've been where you are. It SUCKS! I went through the same kind of seller BS over a motorcycle when I was a young lad; including "lost title" and all. The local authorities were called in and some shenanigans were in fact in the mix (as suspected), but with their help it ended well.

I hope your affair ends well, but I'm having a "dejavu" feeling. Best of luck. Hope it works out. It is very unfortunate, but human nature being what it is, sooner or later trusting strangers WILL end up biting ya - just my well honed opinion. Have you got the authorities involved? I think I'd have pulled the $$s or if that was NOT and option, then I'd be having "the Boys" with badges knock on his door and rattle his cage or get you money back.

Good luck, man. BTDT, so I know the feeling.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Say what you want about paypal, but when things like this happen they are worth every penny of their fees. By wiring money to an unknown I'm afraid you're not going to have much recourse if it turns out to be a scam.

Have you contacted feebay about the problem? It's been 3 weeks, time for the seller to obama or get off the pot. Best wishes this works out for you, I HATE a thief.

Rick
Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like cali not sure im in texas
Ask the first person you see today; perhaps they can tell you.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

best wishes that this comes out in your favor.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Nice car but Admiral Blue is not metallic.
Are you sure?

I always thought it was a metallic color. I even owned one 20 years ago and thought it was, but I can't go look at it any more.

When I look for touch up colors I find code 28 listed as "Dark Cloisonne Metallic". I also found an export sales brochure that lists the color as Dark Cloisonne Metallic for a '94.

I think it is a metallic, but the name in the US changed to Admiral Blue and does not say metallic as part of the name like the other metallic colors do.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The first pic with the shingled sides and style size and type of trees looks more like east coast

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-22-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

The first pic with the shingled sides and style size and type of trees looks more like east coast

I agree the pictures are both taken in a different location. Time to get the law involved as Paul said they can at least verify the car is there and the Vin # matches what was sent to you. I would also contact E-Bay and start looking into getting your $'s back. It may be time to move on and find another.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought Sight Unseen

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Bought sight unseen

Well I did what most will never do, I bought my fourth car (each on eBay) sight unseen, nor did I have anyone inspect this latest one - or any of the other three for that matter - prior to making this purchase.

This latest, a 1995 Admiral Blue Metallic LT1 with 100,000 miles on it. This is the third owner I bought it from and a 2,500 distance between us. Latest owner has only had it for two years but the two previous owners (boyfriend / girlfriend then got married) took it to the same Chevy dealership for maintenance on a regular basis. I paid $7,000 for this one.

So, I wired the money on April 1st (yes, I know…) and I still don’t have the car. There have been a number of iterating and annoying reasons why including a lost title. There’s more to all of this but it would take up a few dozen paragraphs and in the end all readers of it would agree that I was a certified and total incompetent Corvette owner. And probably shouldn't even be allowed to own a Corvette. BTW, I currently own a 2002 C5.

I should have the title at the end of this week (God willing and I don’t go postal first) and I’ll continue to update this frustrating and agonizing transaction.

Hopefully the Corvette Gods will be watching over me. Say a prayer.

Please, easy on the comments!Attachment 47879739

Attachment 47879740

Attachment 47879741

Did this twice. The first car was totally misrepresented, luckily the guy took it back but it still cost me a $1000. The second car worked out ok.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by We Gone
I agree the pictures are both taken in a different location. Time to get the law involved as Paul said they can at least verify the car is there and the Vin # matches what was sent to you. I would also contact E-Bay and start looking into getting your $'s back. It may be time to move on and find another.
Never had much luck with the law either it's a civil matter or why do you need that

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-22-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Never had much luck with the law either it's a civil matter or why do you need that
Well it is a form of theft if the buyer never receives the goods or his money back and after a certain amount a felony. As the OP has no car or title yet no it does not fall under auto theft.

Quick Reply: Bought Sight Unseen