C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bought Sight Unseen

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
One reason the high price she paid at the DMV may have been because she didn't register the car for 2014. CA will charge back registration fees for each year the car doesn't get registered. So if the car didn't have last year's tabs, she would have had to buy them for 2014 and for 2015.

So with 2015 tabs, she can now drive the car.

And if there was a bank lien on the car, the bank would handle the title change once the loan was paid off. A new title would have been sent by the CA DMV directly to her. Maybe she lost that one or.... Is she a blonde??

When I bought my '02 from a CF member down in Sacramento, he did mention that he was supposed to return the license plates to the CA DMV when the car was sold. But he left the plates on the car (with current tabs) so I could drive it home. Assuming you will get the shipping company to take possession of the car, it may not be a big deal if she takes the plates off.
She did tell me she lost the title more than a week after I paid for the car. A blond? No a whacked girl, yes and I say that because of the conversations we have had. Just hoping the title appears and the car is picked up on Friday.

By the way she did say she wudeabe her plates on the car. But did she have to registered the car to Order a new title?

Thank you for your comments
Old 04-26-2015, 02:15 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Yep she didn't have it registered so she owned the back taxes if you will plus interest.

If she is moving tell her I can hold it until the paperwork is done. One less hassle for her.
Screw the detail. Most places just f those up anyway.

PM me the address. I want to do a drive by and see if the car is in sight. Good call on contacting the San Mateo AAA. That's were I do my registrations as well.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Typically when a replacement title is requested from a state DMV, the processing will take a few days to do then the replacement title is mailed to the legal owner. Figure about two weeks time for all of this.

And as I had mentioned, there is no way you can get the car registered in your state without the seller providing you with a title that has been signed off (release of interest) by the legal owner.

Also, it may be that the state the car is registered in could require that the license plates be removed from the car and returned to that DMV. Make sure you get a Bill of Sale from the seller.
I do have a hand written signed and dated bill of sale. I hadn't signed and returned it yet.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by ddawson
Yep she didn't have it registered so she owned the back taxes if you will plus interest.

If she is moving tell her I can hold it until the paperwork is done. One less hassle for her.
Screw the detail. Most places just f those up anyway.

PM me the address. I want to do a drive by and see if the car is in sight. Good call on contacting the San Mateo AAA. That's were I do my registrations as well.

There you go, problem solved.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:27 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Bill of Sale at least in this state is for you pay your taxes on. The title or Pink slip here she will sign over to you. Once she signs it she no longer owns the car.

Here you would take the pink slip and go back to the DVM with the Bill of sale. They generate a new pink slip and use the Bill of Sale to pay the taxes.

Yes we pay taxes on used cars!

She won't need to remove the plates. CA doesn't want them back like other states due.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:17 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

You can use CA DMV form 227 and transfer the title that way without having to wait for the duplicate title in the mail just to sign over again.. Ironically Form 227 is also the form she would have been required to fill out to get the duplicate title in the first place.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:24 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AgentEran
You can use CA DMV form 227 and transfer the title that way without having to wait for the duplicate title in the mail just to sign over again.. Ironically Form 227 is also the form she would have been required to fill out to get the duplicate title in the first place.
Thanks guess that works in CA but not in OH. We need the original title.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Hang in there....

I know that its easy to say because I'm not the one who's dealing with it, but hang in there. At least you have some forward progress and based on what the other posters in CA have told you, it sounds like what is happening is plausible.
It will work out ok. And some important information and lessons have been learned not just by you but by others who've been following this thread.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:15 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
I know that its easy to say because I'm not the one who's dealing with it, but hang in there. At least you have some forward progress and based on what the other posters in CA have told you, it sounds like what is happening is plausible.
It will work out ok. And some important information and lessons have been learned not just by you but by others who've been following this thread.
Thank you the encouragement and I'm leaning that way too. It's just been a long protracted ordeal.
I will post the conclusion of all this soon.

Again, thank you
Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TFJM
Thank you the encouragement and I'm leaning that way too. It's just been a long protracted ordeal.
I will post the conclusion of all this soon.

Again, thank you
I feel really bad for you brother. We all make mistakes, we have to take advantage of those warning signs when we see them and stop ignoring them. I hope this works out, it gets me mad just reading it. I wish I lived there, but I don't. I'm the type of guy that would seek you out some good ol' fashioned street justice.. If worse comes to worse it's a valuable lesson learned at least it wasn't 10K, right?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:28 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

California's DMV has been overwhelmed with undocumented aka. Illegal aliens getting their driver licenses. Next thing is for them to be able to vote, insane.
Hope all works out for you, been following this post and hope you get your Vette soon.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jph46
California's DMV has been overwhelmed with undocumented aka. Illegal aliens getting their driver licenses. Next thing is for them to be able to vote, insane.
Hope all works out for you, been following this post and hope you get your Vette soon.

I feel your pain and the irony is almost unbearable, but I'm leaning toward amnesty, and here's why: Let the illegals have the privilege of paying taxes (including social security and medicare) so that they're not just taking advantage of the burgeoning welfare state. They can also be authorized to pay medical insurance premiums and property taxes to support the schools that have to provide bilingual services.

I'm going to retire soon and I'd like to have someone there to pay into the Social Security system for my monthly checks. If they're no longer illegal then they're what? Legal! I'd just like for everyone who lives here to have the pleasure of supporting this Utopia.

That & learn to speak English...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Default Bought Sight Unseen-The End

This bizarre "Tale of the No Sale" has ended. It didn't end the way I would have hoped. No car but a refund today less $250.00 the Seller deducted because she said she had to pay more when she registered the car the week before last in order to get some type of document saying the car didn't need to get smogged because it was heading out of state. Something I never asked for.

I can't go into all details of this "way out" experience right now but I did share some of the exchanges with a forum member who lives in San Mateo who even offered to go pick the car up on Sunday (Thank you Dan). But the Seller declined to releasing the car "until it was detailed" and went into rage that I was going to send someone to her house. That tells you something right there.

After the last exchange I shared with Dan earlier today his response was "Wow, just wow".

To get my "almost full refund" I had to produce a letter today stating I would not post anything negative on eBay regarding this non sale. And I was accused of breaking a binding contract.

One thing I can share is that she is moving to Gilroy, CA any day now and stopped all mail delivery to her current address last week, and knowing that the new title she applied for on April 16 was going to be mailed to her current address. Why?

My guess is if I had followed through and had the car carrier pick the car up this Friday as planned, it probably would have been a while before I would received the title -if ever.

The Seller is hurting for money so expect to see the car listed soon, as soon as she receives the title. Good luck to the lucky one that has to deal with her.

Thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. This has been a tough ugly hard learned lesson, one I hope no one has to go through. Details available upon request.

Last edited by TFJM; 04-28-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

I've been following this saga. So glad you came out ok. You experienced a great adventure, made new friends and learned a good lesson all for 250 bucks. You did ok.

All kidding aside I'm really glad you came out almost whole.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:54 PM
TFJM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
I've been following this saga. So glad you came out ok. You experienced a great adventure, made new friends and learned a good lesson all for 250 bucks. You did ok.

All kidding aside I'm really glad you came out almost whole.
Thank you but this was
really very stressful. No one enjoys being lied to and being taken advantage of, especially me.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

So she did steal $250.00 I wonder how many times she has done this? Still better than 7K

I for one would like the whole story
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
I feel your pain and the irony is almost unbearable, but I'm leaning toward amnesty, and here's why: Let the illegals have the privilege of paying taxes (including social security and medicare) so that they're not just taking advantage of the burgeoning welfare state. They can also be authorized to pay medical insurance premiums and property taxes to support the schools that have to provide bilingual services.

I'm going to retire soon and I'd like to have someone there to pay into the Social Security system for my monthly checks. If they're no longer illegal then they're what? Legal! I'd just like for everyone who lives here to have the pleasure of supporting this Utopia.

That & learn to speak English...
Que dices? No te entiendo. Porque no aprendes Espanol? Yo digo que te va servir por tu propio bien.

My mom and dad were born in Mexico. They speak English well and don't take welfare.

OP, if the car was here in Dallas or near me, I'd help you out.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought Sight Unseen

Old 04-29-2015, 12:09 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Lucky you got out without losing it all. She was going to ride the it's your fault to the end.

I really think the title was not in her name and she was figuring out how to address that.
She had to pay the back fees to register the car so she could request the title.

Glad it's over.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I would consider this a happy ending, a somewhat blemised happy ending, but happy just the same. Glad you stuck with it and glad DAN was there to put the fear of local contact in her.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
i would consider this a happy ending, a somewhat blemised happy ending, but happy just the same. Glad you stuck with it and glad dan was there to put the fear of local contact in her.

A-men!!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-29-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought Sight Unseen