Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?

Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Human nature to judge others by whatever criteria is imaginable. I give a ratz azz what people think of me when they see me driving the Vette.

However, I have been amused a couple times at a gas station by the "enviro-Prius" types that took the time to harangue me about driving such a "gas-guzzler". Except for one time, their eyes open wide with amazement to hear "26.x mpg @ 70 mph w/cruise control". That one exception, upon me say "26 mpg", called me a liar and stomped off.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
However, I have been amused a couple times at a gas station by the "enviro-Prius" types that took the time to harangue me about driving such a "gas-guzzler". Except for one time, their eyes open wide with amazement to hear "26.x mpg @ 70 mph w/cruise control". That one exception, upon me say "26 mpg", called me a liar and stomped off.
I've had comparable to that on my truck, my T-Bird and my Vette. Truck only gets 19-20 mpg while the T-Bird gets 25 and the Vette has gotten a best of 32 MPG (averages 25-30 most of the time). I also mentioned I carpool to work so I effective double the mileage that way. Gave up and don't even both responding any more as most don't want to hear anything that goes against what they think - that's their loss.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vert vette virgin
About 10 yrs ago I saw a older guy in a newer vette vert. He looked a lot like me. I thought he looked kinda silly. I sort of gave up the idea of putting myself in a vette back then. Then a year ago I thought I was going to die after a routine hip replacement. Turned out not to be serious but got me to thinking. I've wanted a vette since I was 10. Who knows how much longer I'll be able to enjoy one. If not now then when? Don't even care how silly I may look..I love driving my vert!! Cheers to all my fellow vette brethren and sisthren.
Talk about silly looking, I'm 6'3" and 275lbs. Every time I see a reflection of myself in the 89 I'm thinking it looks like a clown car with a big ole clown stuffed inside. It's quite a show stopper watching me ingress and egress.

Rick
Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
Mines going to get me killed if things keep going like the last time I took it out. Wife and I were out for a drive and it started out nice enough. People coming back from a car show a county over that we met on the highway were hanging out the side windows waving at us. Cool I thought. Id call it enthusiastic waving if anything.

Later in the day a bunch of teenage girls in another convertible are standing up in their car waving at us. I didn't catch most of this (remember married and NOT looking ) Wife on the other hand isn't quite so amused about it.

That afternoon the girl at a local gas station wants me to take her for a ride and is telling me what time she gets off work and that she doesn't have to get back till tomorrow since she's off work tomorrow. I hold up my left hand pointing at the wedding ring. She says that doesn't bother her any and to just make up an excuse.

Two problems at this point.

A: Happily married. B: Wife is in the car

I left before wife ended up killing her or me.

That's funny, a married middle aged guy can REALLY appreciate that story!! thanks for sharing

Last edited by Ozzstar; 04-26-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
to be honest people i see lots of poor me attitude regarding c4 corvettes on corvetteforum BY C4 OWNERS.

they are only cheap because they happen to be at the bottom of there depreciation curve. they all do it lol.

stop posting this garbage and standup tall and maybe people will start getting out of your way.

sorry but i just had to say something. way too much wallowing by some c4 owners. its not the car people its the owners. i guarantee the late c3 owners felt the same about their cars in 1999. when they hit bottom and they could be bought for 2600$
Exactly Viking!! Why wait until your pristine C4 is worth $25K someday?? Enjoy the car now for what it was designed to do , right?! Drive the thing, use it and maintain it. It gets annoying when people bitch that there C4 Vette is worthless and looked down upon in the Corvette world because the guy in the C7 didn't wave. This is so dumb i don't even know why i am wasting my time discussing the issue. I say to those folks with C4 dysfunction SELL the car now, cut your loss and leave. You can advertise on craigslist for free or buy a $1 For Sale sign and park the car in the front yard. Someone will buy your low valued C4, appreciate it and enjoy it and someday sell it for more than you could ever have imagined. The new term around here should be termed VD (Vette Dysfunction) and there is no lil blue pill you can take to help you out!!

Now i think i'll go cool down and take a ride in my '93 since it's a lazy Sunday morning. Enjoy the day - Ozz

Last edited by Ozzstar; 04-29-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooseit
A few years ago at a car show I had entered I had this kid about 16 or 17 walk up to me and says you Don't see many of this generation corvette around, my dad says they were junk. I just stood there and looked at him until he turned and walked off.

Goose.
"And you chose NOW to start listening to your dad?"
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Ford1776
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a white 94 coupe last night.

Don't really care what people think.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ford1776
Don't really care what people think.
Amen. It was on a different topic, but after a put down comment by someone a while back, my response was 'fortunately, my opinion of my self-worth is not related to your opinion of me...'

Do you like and enjoy your C4?

Then who gives a flying fig what anyone else thinks!

It makes me happy every time I step into the garage and see my Corvette sitting there. That's all that matters.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:49 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might I recommend having your windows tinted, then roll them up and enjoy your Corvette.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Eff Em....

Small town or not, people with judge you for any number of things. Cars are one of the most visible.
We are by no means rich - far from it, but we have a passion for cars in our family and own 4 Vettes (see my avatar). I know the neighbors are jealous based on the comments I used to hear them make about others on our block. So I've stopped talking to most of them and really couldn't give a rats @ss what they think.
As a matter of fact when I see the haters I actually look at them and give them a smirk knowing that they are jealous. I'm happy - worked hard my whole life to get what I really want.
Eff em....

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 04-28-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My pastor's wife drove a 15-20 year old Cadillac - and got snide comments about "How can they afford to drive that car?" fairly often. 20 year old Cadillacs are in the same boat as 20 year old Vettes - nearly worthless compared to what they sold for new. But do the idiots out there .. even really .. think?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
My pastor's wife drove a 15-20 year old Cadillac - and got snide comments about "How can they afford to drive that car?" fairly often. 20 year old Cadillacs are in the same boat as 20 year old Vettes - nearly worthless compared to what they sold for new. But do the idiots out there .. even really .. think?
No.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Ford1776
Intermediate

I love my new vette! I have only driven it a couple of times now but definitely fun and powerful!

I did have to be sensitive with my brother-in-law who has a jealous streak. We made sure he was the first to know about it and that seemed to do the trick.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I love my new vette! I have only driven it a couple of times now but definitely fun and powerful!

I did have to be sensitive with my brother-in-law who has a jealous streak. We made sure he was the first to know about it and that seemed to do the trick.
Welcome to the forum, Ford! Make sure and post a thread with some pics - we all love to see pics!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Ford1776
Intermediate

Will do. I want to clay bar it first
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Will do. I want to clay bar it first
Take a look at Rejex
Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 PM
drinkoj
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro4117

Do you like and enjoy your C4?

Then who gives a flying fig what anyone else thinks!

It makes me happy every time I step into the garage and see my Corvette sitting there. That's all that matters.
Amen! And I love putting the recyclables in the garage because I smile EVERYTIME when I see the Corvette and think about when I'll take it out next.

Neighbor has a C5 and when he saw our C4 came over immediately and stopped me saying, "You knew when I saw this I'd be over there, so just hold up." And the only grief I get is from other sports car brand owners that don't own a Corvette and that's all in good fun.

Get notified of new replies

To ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Ford1776
Intermediate

I have never heard of Rejex but found some this morning at my local True Value. I will give it a shot.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

How do you think I feel? I live in the Scottish Highlands among mountains and heather. Everyone here drives an old Land Rover and a hot car is a 2014 Discovery with a snorkel far less an '87 red Corvette!

When I'm down at the local market or pub, at times I feel like I'm the only guy at the UN without a headset!!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They're jealous because they want what you have. The insecure will be snide and the secure will give complements. Ignore the former, and smile and wave at the latter. Most of all don't let any of it bother you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?