C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:50 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default intake questions

Finally started on my repairs and I have some questions.

On the back of the LT4 intake is an exhaust tube.
1. What type of sealant should be used to attach this back to the intake?
2. Is there an easier way to move this pipe out of the way to put the intake back in. I tried to loosed the 7/8" pipe nut on the exhaust manifold with no luck. Not enough room to get movement on the wrench.

On another area but same subject, does anyone know what color RTV the factory used to seal the front and back of the intake. Mine was cream/tan in color. The manifold was leaking in the front and back. Almost all of the bolts, save the four center, were hand tight at best.

Oh, and for record, the engineer that designed the upper radiator shroud (sp?) needs to be drawn, quartered and set on fire.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here are pics of my previously-owned LT4 with fuel cover rails removed. What pipe are you talking about? Also, the FSM shows diagrams of the shroud with instructions on how to remove it.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:51 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Here are pics of my previously-owned LT4 with fuel cover rails removed. What pipe are you talking about? Also, the FSM shows diagrams of the shroud with instructions on how to remove it.

The lower left corner. Silver pipe with two bolts connecting to the intake. This is the passenger side rear of the intake. The pipe is connected to the passenger side exhaust header.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Hopefully someone will answer your question. I never took that portion of the engine apart and no longer own the car.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably EGR.

Originally Posted by kg4fku
The lower left corner. Silver pipe with two bolts connecting to the intake. This is the passenger side rear of the intake. The pipe is connected to the passenger side exhaust header.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:22 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by MotorCity_87_C4
Probably EGR.
LT4s don't have EGRs

To the OP, that is the A.I.R. pipe that connects to both exhausts manifolds. If you dont have the gasket, use RTV to seal it. Ensure it is sealed, or you will have vacuum ergo a lean condition/check engine light.

Last edited by PLRX; 04-25-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Purchase or make a gasket for it. Dont use RTV.

To move it out of the way loosen everything like you did but there is also a bracket that goes down and attaches to the back of the passenger side head. Believe it is a 9/16 wrench size. Loosen that bracket as well and you should have plenty of play.

2. Is there an easier way to move this pipe out of the way to put the intake back in. I tried to loosed the 7/8" pipe nut on the exhaust manifold with no luck. Not enough room to get movement on the wrench.

On another area but same subject, does anyone know what color RTV the factory used to seal the front and back of the intake. Mine was cream/tan in color. The manifold was leaking in the front and back. Almost all of the bolts, save the four center, were hand tight at best.

Oh, and for record, the engineer that designed the upper radiator shroud (sp?) needs to be drawn, quartered and set on fire.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The flange didn't have a gasket on it and the kit I bought doesn't have a gasket.

It appears to have some type of aluminum type RTV spread on it. Reminds me of copper grease but only in aluminum color.

I was surprised that the intake gaskets were completely saturated with oil.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

At the 3:04 mark LT1 Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement *PART 2* LT1 Corvette C4 - YouTube[/url] you will see there is a gasket on the tube. I also explain it's not necessary to remove the tube entirely to remove the intake manifold. Good luck - Ozz
Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Ozzstar - Thanks for the reply. I am not planning on removing the tube just trying to get a little more vertical space to aid in landing the intake for reinstallation.

I did find the part number for the gasket. It is GM 219-556. Which is no longer available. NAPA shows a gasket for that application as CRB 22574.

I am going to try that and see if it the correct one.

I am also looking for part number 10105324. This is the short vacuum tube that goes to the throttle body from the Fuel Tank Evaporator Control assembly located on the passenger side of the intake (P/N 215-565). Neither of those part numbers are available anymore.

Interesting that these parts were used on the LT1/4 and the L99, of which no telling how many millions were made and still exist today. However, these parts are no longer available.

Get notified of new replies

To intake questions

Quick Reply: intake questions