Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Found a Corvette boneyard

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Just looking at all those parts , just think, everyone of them was someone's pride and joy once.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 86V
Wow. Just looking at all those parts , just think, everyone of them was someone's pride and joy once.
Whether the Army or Corvettes, at times some die that others might live. Think of all the other Vettes that might be sitting dormant in someones garage for lack of a particular part if someone didn't dismantle some here and there.

Personally I'm thankful someone will do that as I've bought more than a few used parts over the last couple of years to fix things on mine.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI, I was looking for a steering column and I texted him, responded pretty quickly, told him I needed a column for a 95 6speed and he needed a part number, so guessing he has everything inventoried and in a database? Regardless, I texted him back the part number and he said he would let me know...that was last Sunday, think he may be lost in the backyard because I never heard back.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:04 AM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hcbph
Whether the Army or Corvettes, at times some die that others might live. Think of all the other Vettes that might be sitting dormant in someones garage for lack of a particular part if someone didn't dismantle some here and there.

Personally I'm thankful someone will do that as I've bought more than a few used parts over the last couple of years to fix things on mine.
Oh absolutely. I didn't mean it as a rant about cutting old cars up. No doubt I will probably be in need of some "vintage parts" eventually as well. What I meant is, I love my old car. I remember vividly how I felt the day I drove it home from the dealership in September 1986. I'm sure all of those old cars had someone who felt the same way. What went wrong? Even 30 yrs later you just never know ...........
Old 05-02-2015, 12:42 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

86V

That was not directed at you or anyone else, just a comment in general. Having rebuilt more than one older cars, it's always a challenge to find that one part at times that hangs you up otherwise.

When I was about 17 (I'm a lot older now), one of my cousins had a friend who's Uncle had a 'junkyard'. Even then, some 10+ year old cars had parts availability problems and we learned early on to give his Uncle a call for that must-have part. Whether a fender, an engine or a wiring harness, if you needed one but couldn't find one you were stopped dead most times.
With the oldest C4's being over 30 years old today, we experience much the same thing today. Whether it's an abs unit or relay or many other parts, you're not going to find them new today nor did I find anyone that rebuild many of these things today (not enough market for them I assume). That pretty much leaves you used or nothing in many cases.

I wish to heck I could find either NOS or alternate mfg that make new versions of old parts, but again it seems like the C4's don't have enough of a market or markup today. Maybe in the future it will happen (I hope) but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

For now, we do what we have to in order to keep our cars on the street instead of up on jack-stands.

You have more time with yours than mine, I got my 86 in 2013 (usual stuff - family, bills etc) so I consider myself as a nubee regarding Vettes. I've wanted one since I saw my first one when I was 5, a 1954 on TV. Took almost 60 yrs but I finally got one though it wasn't for lack of trying over the years. I know I'll spend more money and time doing and fixing the things I want, but it's a Vette and I'll do what I have to in order to enjoy it, including any part I need and can find regardless of whether it's new or used.

Happy Motoring

Paul

Last edited by hcbph; 05-02-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Call me crazy but I particularly enjoy the "hunt" for that odd, hard to find obsolete part.

Quick Reply: Found a Corvette boneyard