C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 key fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:12 PM
2vettefamily
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 94 key fob issues

Hope anyone can help. I was cleaning the inside of my 94 with both doors open and key fob on the seat. Without warning both doors locked while open. Now I can't close the doors because they are stuck in locked position. Tried to unlock manually and by fob with no luck. Replaced fob battery. Still nothing. Any suggestions? Can't drive it with doors that won't close. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Just having the doors locked won't keep them from closing. I have a strong suspicion what you did was while cleaning the door jams you accidentally flipped the latches closed. I just went out and experimented with mine and what I found was you can pull on the door handle, then just take your finger and flip the latch in the door down. I was going to try to take a video but couldn't figure out how to hold my phone, pull the door handle, and flip the latch all at the same time. So I took a few pictures which hopefully will show what I'm talking about.

This is the latch in the normal position, my finger is on the part I suspect you accidentally flipped up.

This is a shot with the latch flipped to the up, closed position.

This is the latch as I'm getting ready to push it back down. I'll hold the door opening pull handle out while pushing down on this latch.

Last edited by gdl2165; 04-26-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 2vettefamily
Hope anyone can help. I was cleaning the inside of my 94 with both doors open and key fob on the seat. Without warning both doors locked while open. Now I can't close the doors because they are stuck in locked position. Tried to unlock manually and by fob with no luck. Replaced fob battery. Still nothing. Any suggestions? Can't drive it with doors that won't close. Thank you.
As gdl2165 pointed out, just locking the doors will have no effect on them closing or not.

Just as with any other car you can have the doors open, and lock them while they are open.
But when you close the door, you won't be able to open it until you unlock them.

Locking the door does not operate the latches that gdl2165 pictures show.

Originally Posted by gdl2165
Just having the doors locked won't keep them from closing. I have a strong suspicion what you did was while cleaning the door jams you accidentally flipped the latches closed. I just went out and experimented with mine and what I found was you can pull on the door handle, then just take your finger and flip the latch in the door down. I was going to try to take a video but couldn't figure out how to hold my phone, pull the door handle, and flip the latch all at the same time. So I took a few pictures which hopefully will show what I'm talking about.

It is not all that hard to do either.
Flip the latches back to where they belong and all will be good again.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Doesn't sound like a fob issue to me.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:56 PM
2vettefamily
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
As gdl2165 pointed out, just locking the doors will have no effect on them closing or not.

Just as with any other car you can have the doors open, and lock them while they are open.
But when you close the door, you won't be able to open it until you unlock them.

Locking the door does not operate the latches that gdl2165 pictures show.

It is not all that hard to do either.
Flip the latches back to where they belong and all will be good again.
Boy do I feel stupid! That's exactly what it was. I wasn't pulling on the handle when I tried to flip the latch originally. Thank you for the pics. You saved me from a night of aggravation!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 PM
2vettefamily
Instructor

Originally Posted by markKlein
Doesn't sound like a fob issue to me.
It wasn't . Gdl2165 provided me with the simple latch fix with great photos

Get notified of new replies

To 94 key fob issues

Quick Reply: 94 key fob issues