Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'88 tail light socket question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 PM
jesredvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '88 tail light socket question....

So....
After pulling my far right rear tail light socket to replace what I thought was a burnt out bulb, I discovered that the socket itself was actually burned up. I found a replacement (made by Dornan) but the leads on the new socket are white, brown and black. The leads on the original, however, are green, brown and black. From the configuration on the new part it appears that white on the new part corresponds to green on the old one, but am hoping that someone that has done this before can verify it, as this MAJOR pain to get to, and I don't want to deal with it again.
Any insights here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:46 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The electrons don't care what color the wire insulation is. Just wire it up so the corresponding contacts in the connector match up and you'll be OK.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

What Cliff said and you could "twist" temporarily to confirm your choice is correct before permanently terminating the new socket to the old wiring. Your choice seems to be likely what I'd assume for the first effort, with bulb in socket and the black connected if "white to green" gives you "stop/turn" you're fine, if not you need to do the only other choice.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-27-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '88 tail light socket question....

Quick Reply: '88 tail light socket question....