Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default Windshield Insurance Claim

Took me a long time to get an insurance company that I could live with as far as driving my 85 pretty much whenever I wanted at a great price. Now I've got a cracked windshield. Any downside from putting in a claim for $400 windshield after having the insurance ($180 a year)for 6 months? Last thing I want is to get dropped
Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Took me a long time to get an insurance company that I could live with as far as driving my 85 pretty much whenever I wanted at a great price. Now I've got a cracked windshield. Any downside from putting in a claim for $400 windshield after having the insurance ($180 a year)for 6 months? Last thing I want is to get dropped
Was it a local company that had you present the car for snapshots and a visual inspection? Windshields are generally a comprehensive claim and don't or aren't considered relevant. By State that might be controlled, you need to check.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Was it a local company that had you present the car for snapshots and a visual inspection? Windshields are generally a comprehensive claim and don't or aren't considered relevant. By State that might be controlled, you need to check.
I didn't present the car. They had me send them pictures
Old 04-27-2015, 11:34 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I didn't present the car. They had me send them pictures
What's the NY State "comprehensive" limitations and exclusions? Were there any exclusions from the insurance company regarding limitations etc. It might not be unusual for a company to have an exclusion by time for some coverage with conditions. Unusual but it's certainly possible, vandalism or theft maybe? You need to check I guess very closely the fine print and NY State regulations.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the deductible under the comprehensive coverage in your policy?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Ask glass company if there is a "none insurance" price they can quote you.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aminnich
What is the deductible under the comprehensive coverage in your policy?
glass is typically included with comp ins and there is no deductible
Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What's the NY State "comprehensive" limitations and exclusions? Were there any exclusions from the insurance company regarding limitations etc. It might not be unusual for a company to have an exclusion by time for some coverage with conditions. Unusual but it's certainly possible, vandalism or theft maybe? You need to check I guess very closely the fine print and NY State regulations.
Never said I wasn't covered with no deductible
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had insurance through the NCM. They replaced my windshield with no deductible. It cost me nothing out of pocket to get the 91 coupe's windshield replaced and they let me choose the company that did the install. Very happy with the service but I sold the car later that year so I do not know if they would have jacked up my rates or not. Installer said the cost to come to my garage and replace the windshield and related gasket was $500.
This was about 1 year ago.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 PM
sactorandy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield

I just had the windshield on my 96 replaced Friday. The windshield was $326 installed. They had to destroy the gasket that goes around the top and down the doors.too. I had to supply it and the cost was $180 through Corvette Central. $500 is what you should expect to pay.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sactorandy
I just had the windshield on my 96 replaced Friday. The windshield was $326 installed. They had to destroy the gasket that goes around the top and down the doors.too. I had to supply it and the cost was $180 through Corvette Central. $500 is what you should expect to pay.
who did yours?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 AM
sactorandy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kidwell Glass, Orangevale, CA.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

glass is typically included with comp ins and there is no deductible
Not "typically" any longer and hasn't been for quite some time. They may waive deductible and do a "repair" vs. replacement if it's in a portion of the windshield that is considered to be an area that's out of drivers required vision.

I never mentioned deductibles? You seem to think that I did.

I did mention I'd check with the State and policy limitations. They differ State to State - your policy and the State limitations controlling comprehensive are what you need to be concerned about. Nothing else unless the additional parts likely required are considered to be your "out of pocket". That's something that is likely negotiable between the glass company and the carrier. Not all shops want to discuss anything with carriers for fear they may lose their "preferred" shop status.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have State Farm and I had a couple of windshields replaced. There was no charge to me. It was covered with no deductible under the comprehensive coverage.

The problems were from the installations.

On my '99 Corvette FRC they scratched the paint, damaged the plastic drip rail, and didn't do the seal under the plastic trim correctly.

On my '94 Corvette they had to replace the weather strip and it didn't fit right. I couldn't even fasten the roof back in place. They worked with it more and I could get the roof back on, but the driver's side window didn't seal at all. A big wind noise and water would run in. After more talking to the insurance company they set up for the installer to replace the weather strip. I suggested getting a Willcox weather strip and they did. It fit fine for both the roof and the side windows.

I would talk to the insurance company and ask what kind of coverage you have, and whether it would be held against you for possible rate increases or loss of insurance. They should be able to tell you how they handle that type of claim.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Insurance Claim

Quick Reply: Windshield Insurance Claim