C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Painting the intake on an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Painting the intake on an LT1

Hi all. I've been slowly working on my 95 polo green vert to get her back on the road. Forum member 94 z07 helped light a fire under me after looking at his posts detailing his resto. Right now I have everything pretty much out of the engine bay except the harness and block with heads. Replacing gaskets and oil seals and painting parts that need it.the intake has become stained and dis colored from the oil leaks and also from orange coolant that got everywhere when my overflow bottle blew up. I want to paint the intake manifold, was thinking red. I know that a red manifold denotes an LT4, I also know that very few people outside of the c4 community know this. Soooooo, short story long, would that be an ok thing to do? Or should I go with a different color? Just looking for constructive comments. I've missed driving my 95 and so desperately want to get her back on the road. Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM
94Z07
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Hi all. I've been slowly working on my 95 polo green vert to get her back on the road. Forum member 94 z07 helped light a fire under me after looking at his posts detailing his resto. Right now I have everything pretty much out of the engine bay except the harness and block with heads. Replacing gaskets and oil seals and painting parts that need it.the intake has become stained and dis colored from the oil leaks and also from orange coolant that got everywhere when my overflow bottle blew up. I want to paint the intake manifold, was thinking red. I know that a red manifold denotes an LT4, I also know that very few people outside of the c4 community know this. Soooooo, short story long, would that be an ok thing to do? Or should I go with a different color? Just looking for constructive comments. I've missed driving my 95 and so desperately want to get her back on the road. Thanks
I'm glad I can help get you motivated on yours now don't let the fire burn out

My 2 cents, paint it whatever color you want and don't worry about what others think. Ultimately you are the one who see's the car every day, not the forum members let alone other people.

I was thinking of painting mine red as well, who cares if it's not an LT4, just don't claim it's an lt4 after doing so (that's another story).

DT86 and i were just having a discussion about this very thing last night. They make so many colors now-a-days you can do whatever you want.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Red should be LT4 only. What color is your vette? Maybe paint it the body color?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:12 PM
94Z07
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
Red should be LT4 only. What color is your vette? Maybe paint it the body color?
His vette is Polo Green, red shouldn't just be LT4 as i stated before. That conversation is a firestarter in itself. lol
Old 04-27-2015, 04:34 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Intake Color

Originally Posted by 94Z07
His vette is Polo Green, red shouldn't just be LT4 as i stated before. That conversation is a firestarter in itself. lol
Exactly, paint it whatever freaking you want. I would think about an overall complimentary color for polo green and then use that across multiple items that need repaint. What color is your interior ?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

You bought your car with your money. Do what you like with it! It's not like you are trying to pass it off as an LT4. You are simply making it the way you want it.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

I'm painting the fuel rail covers, coolant pressure tank, and air filter holder body color. Possibly the valve covers as well. The valve covers will at the very least be repainted satin black. Might just stay with black on the valve covers and paint the intake black as well. I usually do what I want because as has been said, it's my money and my car, but I was just curious how it would play out if I went red. My interior is beige and black. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
I'm painting the fuel rail covers, coolant pressure tank, and air filter holder body color. Possibly the valve covers as well. The valve covers will at the very least be repainted satin black. Might just stay with black on the valve covers and paint the intake black as well. I usually do what I want because as has been said, it's my money and my car, but I was just curious how it would play out if I went red. My interior is beige and black. Thanks for all the input so far.
Yes, I also have beige / black interior, not the color combo for the engine. You got me there...
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Would be a lot of work but you could polish it. Or atleast what is seen. Haven't been their in a wile But love Myrtle Beach.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car do what You like.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know if this is a stupid question but I wonder if the intake could be chromed? Would hold heat??
Old 04-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I saw one painted bright Yellow with the top fins brushed back to the aluminum finish and clear coated. Really looked nice.
The guy said he calls it an LT 1.5 now !
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Paint it the color you want. Not sure what the LT4 red paint code is though.

My other vote for color is AC orange or maybe JD Green and yellow....
Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This LT1 intake was converted to work on my 91. The car was blue so I painted it Chevy engine blue.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What corvetteronw did is a really nice example of how good it can turn out. Paint it any color you want.

If you check out my albums you can see some pics where I just went over mine with some fine steel wool and some mother's aluminum polish.

The cat's meow IMHO would be to have it powder coated a nice polo green to match the car and then have the top fins covered so that they can be polished back to a nice bright aluminum.

But above all the most important thing is to do what you want and what looks good to YOU!!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z07
Not meaning to start any fires. GM went to the extra expense to finish the LT4 intakes in red as a means of differentiating them from the LT1. To paint an LT1 intake to look like an LT4 would be like putting
ZR1 badges on the rear of the vette. But, like a lot of people already said it is his car and he can do whatever he wants with it. I am just explaining my comment in reply #3 above, not trying to stir up a firestorm.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
Not meaning to start any fires. GM went to the extra expense to finish the LT4 intakes in red as a means of differentiating them from the LT1. To paint an LT1 intake to look like an LT4 would be like putting ZR1 badges on the rear of the vette. But, like a lot of people already said it is his car and he can do whatever he wants with it. I am just explaining my comment in reply #3 above, not trying to stir up a firestorm.
No sweat man. We all know what you mean. Your just taking it to the next level. If he were putting a grand sport intake on then yes that would be a no no.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting the intake on an LT1

Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
92polo
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a few photos of my 92 polo vert. Do what is right for you and what you like

Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 92polo
Here are a few photos of my 92 polo vert. Do what is right for you and what you like

I've decided I'm painting it black. I had red left over from doing the calipers on my 08, so the thought was kill two birds with one stone. I like the red lettering on you FRC and asr. I will be painting the FRC,asr, coolant tank and air filter holder body color. Funnily enough, I ordered new seat covers that were two toned like these , but they messed up my order and sent solid beige. Oh well. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 92polo
That looks great. How did you do carbon fiber look in green?

Quick Reply: Painting the intake on an LT1