C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened?

So i've had my 84 vette out for a few weeks, and its been problem free. Today I decided to have a little fun and just kind of mess around town. I was taking a curve rather sharp, and had a bit of wheel spin. Suddenly my steering felt kind of odd, like less connected, or rough. I can't really explain it. I kept driving and the steering started to feel normal again. I thought nothing of it and turned it off. I went back out to turn it on later and the right side of my dash is now completely dark
Did I my sharp turn cause somthing to be disconnected or jarred? My dash was completely fine until I turned it on later. Sometimes i forget that my car is 30 years old and cant always take a beating, but It really wasn't much. Do you guys think the dash thing was random or I caused it? Can anyone explain the few second steering issue?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

to many variables to give you a good answer.

I would check your power steering fluid and make sure it is full. The sharp corner may have starved the pump for a few seconds causing an air bubble in the system when you turned which may have caused your rough steering.

The dash could have been just coincidence or maybe you did unplug something. You will just have to start doing some troubleshooting to figure that one out.

Which half of the dash did you loose?

I am not familiar with the early dashes enough to help but I am sure someone will chime in soon.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 AM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Would these fix my dash?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-Bulb-Kit-C4-Corvette-Digital-Cluster-Gauge-Instrument-Panel-Gauge-Dash-/121635841498?fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item1c520fa5da&vxp=mtr
Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
I was taking a curve rather sharp. Suddenly my steering felt kind of odd, like less connected, or rough. I can't really explain it. I kept driving and the steering started to feel normal again. Can anyone explain the few second steering issue?
Power steering fluid level is low. Sharp turn, pump sucked air and caused your symptoms. After driving "normally" for a bit, the bubbles left the system in the reservoir and steering returned to normal.

IDK about your IP. I'd pull it and look at wires, connectors and bulbs.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Can you read the output or is there truly no display? Show us a pic.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 AM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Can you read the output or is there truly no display? Show us a pic.
Its there, its just really dark. Would those bulbs I left the link to in my earlier reply solve it?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:22 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
Its there, its just really dark. Would those bulbs I left the link to in my earlier reply solve it?
Yes, if the bulbs are the problem, could be a number of things though. Pull off the trim and you can see if they are burning or not.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To What happened?

Quick Reply: What happened?