C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car won't idle runs rough until 2000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Ghostpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostpilot
After tear down #2 I found that the original opti with a new MSD cap and rotor decided to crap the bearing just enough to eat the shaft seals on the opti and wobble the slotted wheel enough to rub on the optical sensor, it also rubbed the rotor on the cap just a smiggon to let loose some very fine cap ridge shavings in the unit. Amazing that it ran. Anyway, I need a new opti housing for this now worn in MSD cap and rotor ugh the wich one to buy dilemma.
Any current news on sac city opti's all that's in town are cardone's
Old 05-05-2015, 02:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

That thought has crossed my mind twice now
Third time is a charm you won't belive the crap that will come out........just squeeze the connectors with your fingers they pop right off

Make sure you put the right dope on them and right tourqe I just put new in could not bring myself to put back 20 year old parts

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Ghostpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Third time is a charm you won't belive the crap that will come out........just squeeze the connectors with your fingers they pop right off

Make sure you put the right dope on them and right tourqe I just put new in could not bring myself to put back 20 year old parts
Knock sensor crumbled on the way out, not too bad on the flush debris tho. Found a Cardone's opti with a new Mitsubishi sensor in town and put the MSD cap and rotor on it. Thing runs great! Got motivated and changed the seals in the timing cover too : I noticed that the MSD cap with its additional cap screw and block assembly has a screw that is about 1/8 inch to long and hits the timing chain cover and doesn't allow the opti to fit flush against the cover, bummer was I didnt catch it on the last opti and I'm sure it caused the shaft to spin off center eat the seals and cause the opti slotted wheel to rub on the sensor trashing the bearing err must be getting old to have miss that. Gonna thread in a brass fitting in the WP weep hole and run a drain hose away from the opti so this one doesn't get trashed when the next WP bearing goes.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Knock sensor crumbled on the way out, not too bad on the flush debris tho. Found a Cardone's opti with a new Mitsubishi sensor in town and put the MSD cap and rotor on it. Thing runs great! Got motivated and changed the seals in the timing cover too : I noticed that the MSD cap with its additional cap screw and block assembly has a screw that is about 1/8 inch to long and hits the timing chain cover and doesn't allow the opti to fit flush against the cover, bummer was I didnt catch it on the last opti and I'm sure it caused the shaft to spin off center eat the seals and cause the opti slotted wheel to rub on the sensor trashing the bearing err must be getting old to have miss that. Gonna thread in a brass fitting in the WP weep hole and run a drain hose away from the opti so this one doesn't get trashed when the next WP bearing goes.

Quick Reply: Car won't idle runs rough until 2000 rpm