C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:53 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C4 dead battery

something happened and the interior lights were left on in my C4 causing the bat to go dead, so no way do I want to jump causing possible ECM damage!! am wondering what would be a safe method to put a charge back in the bat, also what effect will a dead battery have on the ECM if any? thanx
Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nothing at all wrong with jumpstarting to get the car to where the battery can be recharged. Do not simply start the car and then drive around to recharge the battery. The alternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery and it can be ruined doing that.

Check parts stores to see if they will rent chargers. AutoZone would be a good place to check.

The ECM won't be harmed by a dead battery or by recharging.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 05-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Nothing at all wrong with jumpstarting to get the car to where the battery can be recharged. Do not simply start the car and then drive around to recharge the battery. The alternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery and it can be ruined doing that.
Unless you forget the charger is connected and try to start the car, that fried my ecm. Otherwise no problem jump starting however charge the battery is the safest.

Remember some chargers will not charge a dead flat battery, they look for at least 10.5 volts. If that is the case put another 12 volt battery parralel and it will charge it.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Check parts stores to see if they will rent chargers. AutoZone would be a good place to check.

The ECM won't be harmed by a dead battery or by recharging.
also, this is a great time for you to buy your own charger
Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Remember some chargers will not charge a dead flat battery, they look for at least 10.5 volts. If that is the case put another 12 volt battery parralel and it will charge it.

Cheers
GOOD POINT! I keep an "Oldie but Goodie" battery charger around, simply b/c it isn't as smart as the newer ones and will attempt to charge a rock, if you can find a way to connect to it!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a couple of the old style "trickle" chargers around that I've had since I was a teenager ( No....they are not coal fired ) and they work pretty good for the test bench but Over the years I have switched out to the Battery Tender brand and keep one hooked to the motorcycles and the cars or trucks that are going to be out of service for any length of time.

The algorhythm they have developed has sure worked well for me in keeping these batteries ready to go and de-sulfated without cooking them like some of the cheaper knock-off versions have done to some friends cars.
They'll run you about 48-to 60 bucks and are worth it. I've bought the last two at Cycle-Gear for 49 when they have a weekend sale. They come with a SAE plug you can attach to your battery that makes hooking it up a breeze.

later, tiny

Get notified of new replies

To C4 dead battery

Quick Reply: C4 dead battery