Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Window anti rattle cushions missing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Window anti rattle cushions missing?

OK I searched and didn't find the answer to my specific question. I'm fixing the floppy driver's side door panel and window rattle on my 92 coupe and I noticed there are only 2 anti rattle cushions installed on the door (near the handle end) . There are more slots for them along the top edge of the door, but they don't look like they've ever had cushions installed (no marring from a bolt head).

Is there supposed to be a cushion in every slot? Or do they only install them where needed at the factory? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks like there is a set of 4 (?):

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1969-1996.html
Old 05-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Originally Posted by seabright
Looks like there is a set of 4 (?):

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1969-1996.html
Yeah, I saw that, but I figured they were just sold in sets of four for selling purposes. I don't know if I need 4 in each door or not. Thanks for the link though.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My recollection is that there is one at the front of each door and one at the rear of each door.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

So I have one at the rear and one near the middle. And there are 2 slots at the front that are empty. Weird.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Roys92BlackRose
So I have one at the rear and one near the middle. And there are 2 slots at the front that are empty. Weird.
One is for the window guide bar. Only the later C4's had them. It was added to remove the play in the window. Not sure exactly when they started using them but it was the last few years I think. Out of the factory there were two felt guides per door.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:33 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Thank you. I was about to order more to put in the empty slots but I guess I don't need them. Cool.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Thank you. I was about to order more to put in the empty slots but I guess I don't need them. Cool.
- sold in sets of four - two for each door.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Well things went South on my door panel repair. After heating the area around the ribs and gently forming it back into shape and glueing the ribs, I went to reinstall it. Kind of a pain getting everything back in place. Then, after hooking up the hatch switch, the door panel fell and because the wiring to the hatch switch was short, it pulled the insides of the switch out and broke the housing. So I ordered a used replacement off eBay and went ahead and finished putting the door panel back on. After fighting with it for an hour, it is back on (without the hatch switch temporarily) and guess what. The door panel is still floppy and detached from the door frame at the top rear section, and the glass sweep is about a half inch away from the glass. So basically, 4 hours labor and a broken hatch switch, and I'm back to square one. Looks like a new door panel is required. FML.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Well things went South on my door panel repair. After heating the area around the ribs and gently forming it back into shape and glueing the ribs, I went to reinstall it. Kind of a pain getting everything back in place. Then, after hooking up the hatch switch, the door panel fell and because the wiring to the hatch switch was short, it pulled the insides of the switch out and broke the housing. So I ordered a used replacement off eBay and went ahead and finished putting the door panel back on. After fighting with it for an hour, it is back on (without the hatch switch temporarily) and guess what. The door panel is still floppy and detached from the door frame at the top rear section, and the glass sweep is about a half inch away from the glass. So basically, 4 hours labor and a broken hatch switch, and I'm back to square one. Looks like a new door panel is required. FML.
You can put a two inch screw through the door pad it will hook over the door frame and the inside window sweep will hide it sounds funkey but works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Window anti rattle cushions missing?

Quick Reply: Window anti rattle cushions missing?