C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Heater core leak - help with Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 PM
MyronGaines
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Heater core leak - help with Bypass

I was driving to work this morning and noticed a terrible smell and a continuous fume coming from the top vent under the windshield. Pulled over and noticed a ton of gold like fluid dropping out from under the passenger side door. Opened up the passenger door and felt under the rug and it was wet with the gold like substance.

Did some research and it appears to be consistent with heater core leaks/issues that others have faced. I am going to bypass the heater core for the winter. Does anyone have any pictures or links of the process? I have been searching for a while but can't seem to find any instructions. Also, I guess I don't understand the mechanics but how will bypassing this prevent anti-freeze leaks and the fumes from coming through the AC vents?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The usual method is to disconnect and remove the two hoses that go to the heater core and connect the ends of the heater core bypass pipes together. They're not the same diameter (5/8" and 3/4"), so that's a problem to deal with.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The usual method is to disconnect and remove the two hoses that go to the heater core and connect the ends of the heater core bypass pipes together. They're not the same diameter (5/8" and 3/4"), so that's a problem to deal with.
To solve the problem presented by Cliff, try eBay:

Heater Core Repair Bypass Kit - 5/8" x 3/4" hose combination

Or, just buy a ¾ to ⅝ hose adaptor.

Last edited by don hall; 05-12-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:06 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe that Napa sells a hose that is a u bend and has the correct diameters. I have one on my 85 for the last 2 years as I await the right time to do the core
Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Pickup B87629 hose at Autozone along with a 3/4" and 5/8" hose adapter/connector.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:58 AM
C4-Newbie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my heater core started leaking a few weeks ago I found this post which directed me to the bypass hose. My heat never blew hot since I purchased my 85 7 years ago but it's only driven in nice weather so never an issue not working. AC blows nice and cold so that's all that matters to me on those really hot days. Since I like pictures to assist me in repairs and could not find any for the 85 I am attaching pics of the completed bypass.

Question? I am noticing after I completed bypass that I am still getting a very small amount of antifreeze still dripping, Since I did not blow out the heater core I assume this is just residual antifreeze still in the core and its just dripping from the movement of the car?

Bypass hose.

Had to disconnect these two hoses here in order to remove the hoses from the heater core. Replaced with new clamps.

Bypass installed with new clamps.

Capped the heater core at the firewall.

Last edited by C4-Newbie; 10-24-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Heater core leak - help with Bypass

Quick Reply: 1985 Heater core leak - help with Bypass