Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default Safelite Windshield - A Mess

Had a new windshield installed at Safelite. Looked fine from the outside, but.
My 2 yr old A pillar weatherstrip taken out (and damaged) and left in the back of car in new replacements wrapping. Turns out a cheap replacement made in Thailand reinstalled.
Screws missing from center dash? Why???
Bad wind noise at road speed on both sides.
Targa on so tight can't believe any of the bolts didn't strip

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 05-15-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant wait to hear their answer to these questions.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I've heard the C4 has the hardest windshield EVER to replace properly. Guys that replace hundreds of regular windshields are baffled by the complexity of the C4. Why did they build them like that?
I'm afraid to have mine replaced. It has a chip with a tiny crack that's been in it for years now. I can live with it.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

When the glass guy did my C5Z he made a mess as well. Another guy came in the next day, and fix the crap work he did.

He claimed to have C5 experience, but I learned the Z06 is different from others. The same with the C4, if the regular Joe comes in he would do exactly what he did to you.

Call them back and demand perfection.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

emailed a complaint and then got the online survey which I promptly told them what I thought of the work. Will give them a couple days to call me. Then I'll be visiting
Old 05-16-2015, 12:32 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I hope this has a happy ending. Please post the results.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 PM
ThePhoneGuy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Safelite replace the windshield in my '90. The original windshield was in place and the mastic??? was a bear to get clean. The tech came into the lobby twice to explain it just took a long time. But he did it right and well. No leaks, nowind, no problems. Used GM original gasket. Very happy.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:11 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

This isn't so much as "Safelite" issue, as it is with the person actually doing the work.

There are a few stories out there where Safelite did a good job. But that is because the guy doing the work knew what he was doing.

I have heard this multiple times - Do NOT let anybody replace your windshield, if they have never done a C4 windshield before.

We had one of them mobile glass guys come out to my work one day replacing a windshield.
I was in my C4, so I walked over and asked him if he had ever done a C4 Corvette before.
He said "Sure, have done lots of them no problem".
I pointed to my car and asked again, if he had done one like that.
He said yes, one or two a month at least.

I reminded him that we are in a town of only 16,000 people and there just isn't that many of them around.
He then looked close and admitted that he hadn't done one exactly like that, but new Corvettes.

They are not the same!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Update on my windshield problem. I called Safelite because it looked like they weren't going to respond to 2 online complaints.
The lady I talked to said that on older corvettes the OEM weatherstripping was not made anymore and aftermarket was hard to find. I immediately got her on the Wilcox website and to the Header and Pillar part that they couldn't find. Said she would check on it and talk to the tech that installed mine. An hr later she called and said that the tech told her he had spent 7 hrs on the install and had a hard time with the weatherstrip install. Yeah it's junk sold by JC Whitney
She said that the Wilcox weather stripping would be ordered and sent to the shop that I had the work done.
I think when they call me to come in I'll just ask for it and do it right myself

Here's the part number WIF D951. Don't buy it
Found a video of the install
Too bad their product is garbage

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 05-19-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Looking at that video. What years used a screw in the top corner? And what thread pitch/diameter is the screw?

I installed latex A pillar weatherstripping, and the push pins in the top corners don't stay all the way in. They keep wanting to halfway pop out. Thought of putting in a screw instead.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

I replaced the weatherstrip retainer screws with stainless steel truss head screws with thread sealant.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Safelite uses substandard glass. Thinner, which makes it cheaper, and more prone to cracking. My glass guy showed me the difference when I had the windshield in my truck replaced. I went with OEM GM glass, and paid the difference.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Will never use safelite called them once for a stone chip. They took my info and then told me it would be over a week. I told them I would get back with them if I wanted their service. Found another place to come out the next day. But safelite took it upon their self to put a claim in to my insurance to do the job. Had to straighten out the mess they made lost a customer for life
Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

One big problem with windshield replacements. Is you can end up with water getting in past the windshield/reveal molding. And water getting in past the reveal molding/weatherstrip retainer. If not sealed up correctly during install.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

My experience w/ Safelite resulted in a good experience...with help from ME.

The trim pieces did not fit, so I opted to reuse the originals, which resulted in ME cleaning and prepping them while the tech worked.

I had already purchased my rubber from Corvette Rubber, which was quality stuff, AND matching texture of the OEM stuff.

No issues!

Oh! The manager called to ask me to bring it to their shop b/c they had an experienced, loing time installer there that knew the C4s and did all their "more complicated" jobs.

I looks beautiful!! It is NOT a ZR-1 windshield having the reflective film and the cut out for the "garage door opener" (i.e., radar detector!). It is a standard C4 windshield due to cost ($250 ish vs. $2500 for an OEM (like) one that will likely delaminate anyway!

I assisted with my ZR-1 windshield, but only after seeing Safelite install 2 others; one on my Ford F150 and one on my wife's Equinox. My experience was quite satisfactory. But, the service may only be as good as the individual employee (is why I seldom if ever hand them the keys to the Z, only to return when the job is done. But, that's just me!)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-20-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Just had the windshield on my 94' replaced yesterday by Safelite. Had a pretty good experience.

On a car like this, you have to do some of the prep work yourself. It's not a pickup truck or a regular car where all they have to do is peel out the old windshield, clean the frame, and pop in the new. There is a lot more work involved. A couple days prior I removed all the weatherstripping and moulding and cleaned/repainted all of it myself. They sent two people out to do mine. One was about my age (25-30) and the other was an older guy that used to do glass for chevy dealers and had a lot of experience with C3-C6 Vettes. He was very knowledgable and they both did a great job, only took them about 30 minutes since I removed everything in the way of the glass. They left me with a new header trim moulding, and new a-pillar weather stripping to install myself even though they offered.

No complaints here, I know not all locations are the same, and the same goes for the techs, there are good and bad.

About the wind noise. Once you get everything else situated you need to get black adhesive sealant (I get it from advanced) and run a bead around the windshield where it meets the trim moulding. A lot of times they don't make the mastic/urethane bonding material thick enough and the trim moulding will stick up off the glass which catches a lot of air/wind as you drive. Run the bead of silicone on both sides and the top and make sure you don't leave any gaps. Then wipe the excess off with your finger and a damp rag. This will help seal the windshield from any rain and wind noise.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 408 Likes on 278 Posts

Tried to get my horribly cracked windshield done a while back. Dropped it off at a glass shop. 2 hours later they called saying they just flat out couldn't do it. I appreciate the honesty but I knew it was difficult and when I scheduled the work I got the salesman to repeatedly say that they had a competent tech who had done C4s before and that they could do it.

Anyway. Does anyone have any shop recommendations in the Austin area? Also what all parts/stripping needs to be purchased to ensure a smooth installation?

Pretty sure all my rubber is dead. 1985 with 130k.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by yakmastermax
*... Also what all parts/stripping needs to be purchased to ensure a smooth installation?

Pretty sure all my rubber is dead. 1985 with 130k.
the outside trim pieces weren't exactly right - was it because it was there a difference being a ZR-1? I dunno. But, I opted to use the original trim pieces, after cleaning them up for re-use.

I did not realize they were also supplying the rubber. So, I had purchased my own. Good thing too, because the texture of theirs was not at all like stock; much firmer. (I was credited for both the trim pieces and their rubber.)

I guess it is like any chain store with lots of employees: some are better than others. I guess that is why I'm right there watching whenever I have to have something done by an outfit or person I don't know. Anywayz....I don't think an entire organization can be judged by the experience of a single person (tech)...would be my guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Safelite - A Mess

Quick Reply: Safelite - A Mess