C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Any Suggestions?

Hello men! How are you all? I have run into a bit of a quandary on my 1987. I recently just got rid of my code 33 (MAF Sensor) by changing the relays a few weeks ago. I had thought this code was what was causing my rough startups, however it turns out it wasn't. I guess there was just a bad relay causing the code 33. So anyway, the car either starts up a little hesitant on some starts, or on others it will start right away on the initial turn of the ignition in literally 1 second. It runs fine though even after hesitating on start up, after about 2 or 3 seconds the rpms go up to normal and it is running good, it's just the initial start up. So that has been bothering me.. I think I may have a faulty or partially clogged catalytic converter, because when i get on it on the highway (pedal to the floor), I do smell something a little foul, and I noticed that when getting on it going into the last gear I can have the pedal to the floor and it's just revving but not pulling into that final gear. However, if I let up on the gas it does pull hard into 4th the way it should. Sound like a clogged or faulty cat? Thank you for any responses!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:00 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by gradywhite931127
Hello men! How are you all? I have run into a bit of a quandary on my 1987. I recently just got rid of my code 33 (MAF Sensor) by changing the relays a few weeks ago. I had thought this code was what was causing my rough startups, however it turns out it wasn't. I guess there was just a bad relay causing the code 33. So anyway, the car either starts up a little hesitant on some starts, or on others it will start right away on the initial turn of the ignition in literally 1 second. It runs fine though even after hesitating on start up, after about 2 or 3 seconds the rpms go up to normal and it is running good, it's just the initial start up. So that has been bothering me.. I think I may have a faulty or partially clogged catalytic converter, because when i get on it on the highway (pedal to the floor), I do smell something a little foul, and I noticed that when getting on it going into the last gear I can have the pedal to the floor and it's just revving but not pulling into that final gear. However, if I let up on the gas it does pull hard into 4th the way it should. Sound like a clogged or faulty cat? Thank you for any responses!
Does that one havea fuel pressure regulator?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Does that one havea fuel pressure regulator?
Hey my friend I am not too sure to be quite honest.. on my gauge cluster it gives me oil pressure, and it starts at zero when i turn the key to the on position then creeps up to 4 or 5 after a few seconds sitting, then when i start it, it'll go up to 40 and 50, and then back to zero again directly when I turn it back to the on position, then after a few seconds back to 4 or 5 again.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

i'd be checking your fpr for the smell...pull the vac line and see if there's any evidence of fuel.....as for the starting, fuel pump works for 2 sec...once you get oil pressure, oil pump takes over....since the problems sounds intermittent, it becomes more difficult to diagnose...try cleaning the fuel pump relay contacts...given the age of the relay, and relative low cost, you may need a new one...
Old 05-18-2015, 11:32 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Possibly my overdrive might be a little faulty too, thank you for the suggestions!!

Get notified of new replies

To Any Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Any Suggestions?