C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
DonMaletta21
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 aftermarket exhaust

Hey all, I'm driving a 1996 Collector's edition and I'm in the market for a new exhaust. Not too sure what make or anything so im trying to figure out what the best would be. I looked at Corsa but thats about it. Im looking for something loud. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DonMaletta21
Hey all, I'm driving a 1996 Collector's edition and I'm in the market for a new exhaust. Not too sure what make or anything so im trying to figure out what the best would be. I looked at Corsa but thats about it. Im looking for something loud. Thanks!
Search tool is your friend - You'll find a massive amount of opinions on exhaust. I have no rev clips at this point, but this is my 96' LT4 with Headers, Stock Cats and muffler eliminators. It's def. loud....

Old 05-22-2015, 04:58 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the magnaflow cat back exhaust for the 92-96 c4's. Their reasonably priced and sound good on the video clips from u tube. I was thinking about a set for my 92 corvette just need to save up the money. These give a nice deep tone, muscle car rumble but not too loud that it's obnoxious. Only other thing I've always wondered is how much louder would the car be with the muffler eliminators on stock system versus the magnaflow. The muffler eliminators are the cheapest way to go and if their not that much louder then say the magnaflow cat back system I would be all over them! Anybody know if the muffler eliminators are that much louder then the magnaflow cat back system? Rest of exhaust would be stock.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 PM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyLifter
Search tool is your friend - You'll find a massive amount of opinions on exhaust. I have no rev clips at this point, but this is my 96' LT4 with Headers, Stock Cats and muffler eliminators. It's def. loud....

I listen to this clip every time I see it...that car sounds awesome! You need to get a clip of revving or even better a drive.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Originally Posted by starrman62
I listen to this clip every time I see it...that car sounds awesome! You need to get a clip of revving or even better a drive.
Thx! I will recruit my 9 year old son to help tomorrow & see what we can come up with.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

One consideration you should take to heart before spending your bucks is "Drone," also known as "Resonance." It's when, sitting in the cockpit, you feel like you're in the exhaust pipe! A lot of after market exhaust systems exhibit some serious drone. Corsa, apparently, doesn't. But, they're really expensive.

For my '96 CE, I purchased an Allen Chambered Cat-back Exhaust System. Loud but without drone. To even the exhaust tone between what are now separate dual exhausts, I had an H-Pipe installed just past the transmission. Sounds great... no drone! Check out posts #10 & 14 at this link...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...new-owner.html
Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Here's a couple videos of my 91. The only change is the mufflers with Flowmaster 40 series in the first and Corsas in the second. The car has long tube headers, 2.5" pipes with an x-pipe and no cats. I prefer the sound of the Corsas and best of all there is no drone. With the Flows, it got to the point where I didn't enjoy driving the car anymore because of the annoying drone.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 AM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Originally Posted by TA
Here's a couple videos of my 91. The only change is the mufflers with Flowmaster 40 series in the first and Corsas in the second. The car has long tube headers, 2.5" pipes with an x-pipe and no cats. I prefer the sound of the Corsas and best of all there is no drone. With the Flows, it got to the point where I didn't enjoy driving the car anymore because of the annoying drone.
Those Corsas sound nice! Nice car!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Great sound

Which muffler did you eliminate? Central or rear?

Last edited by Christi@n; 05-23-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Another vote for Corsa Sport.
Got mine from JEGS ($1100-sale)($1400-reg).

Tried MagnaFlo on my '93, but sound and drone increased within a short time to the point of total dislike.

Last edited by don hall; 05-26-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:29 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My 1993 has the stock exhaust with the exception of the mufflers. Just have straight pipe instead of those (AKA muffler eliminators). It sounds just like the videos above.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Great sound

Which muffler did you eliminate? Central or rear?
Thx. Just the rear mufflers were eliminated.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Corvette
check out the magnaflow cat back exhaust for the 92-96 c4's. Their reasonably priced and sound good on the video clips from u tube. I was thinking about a set for my 92 corvette just need to save up the money. These give a nice deep tone, muscle car rumble but not too loud that it's obnoxious. Only other thing I've always wondered is how much louder would the car be with the muffler eliminators on stock system versus the magnaflow. The muffler eliminators are the cheapest way to go and if their not that much louder then say the magnaflow cat back system I would be all over them! Anybody know if the muffler eliminators are that much louder then the magnaflow cat back system? Rest of exhaust would be stock.
I've had both. First eliminators and then the Magnaflow Catback system on my 94'. The eliminators are way louder and higher pitched.

Magnaflow is much more mellow and deep, and drones is less than the eliminator. There isn't as much "burble" with the Magnaflow as compared to the eliminator which I kind of miss.

Sound is still subjective, because I actually liked the sound of the eliminators, but the Magnaflow is the better system to me when comparing the two.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

My recent Magnaflow update;

Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I got this one laying around. Come pick it up for $150

Magnaflow resonator, and Magnaflow SS mufflers. This set up fits all 92-95. For 96 you'd have to install a O2 sensor bung.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Chris**
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread because its probably been discussed before, nonetheless i didn't find much in the search.

I'm going to run full length headers, and i like the idea of the corsa, but does anyone sell a true dual kit to link the headers to a cat back? I don't need to worry about emissions in PA, but would not mind keeping cats to not be a a-hole. Anything pre-bent I can buy, or do i need to have a exhaust shop bend it for me?
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Originally Posted by starrman62
Sorry it took so long. I've been crazy with kid stuff and waiting until I had time/funds to replace the radiator. Finally got to it today. This clip is only revving up to just under 3k RPM as my neighbor was outside and I know he's not a big fan of loud cars.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 aftermarket exhaust

Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want noisy or classy? that's the difference between Eliminators and Corsa's, I went from one to the other on my 94, never regretted it, yes I like loud, and it still is, but the Corsa's give it Quality, which the Eliminators never could.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Nick DL
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, those Corsa's sound a lot better than I expected. I just might have to save my pennies to purchase them. I have long tubes, x pipe and cats mated up to my factory exhaust, low on funds to get anything else. At idle my car is really quiet, however when I am punching the throttle it seems to have a nice sound. It's hard to tell from inside the car. I guess that I need to set up a video camera to do some drive bys.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Brentwood Sooner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris**
I didn't want to start a new thread because its probably been discussed before, nonetheless i didn't find much in the search.

I'm going to run full length headers, and i like the idea of the corsa, but does anyone sell a true dual kit to link the headers to a cat back? I don't need to worry about emissions in PA, but would not mind keeping cats to not be a a-hole. Anything pre-bent I can buy, or do i need to have a exhaust shop bend it for me?

No need in getting headers unless you can thing internally in the engine. Just get a good exhaust system, cold air intake and a chip or programmer and you will be good to go

Quick Reply: C4 aftermarket exhaust