C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

facepalmed and pride hurt

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 PM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default facepalmed and pride hurt

There are some stupid steep speed bumps in my development, and they just redid them making them even worse. Typically I slow down enough to just coast the nose over the first part then get back on the gas to get the rest of the way over. Today I was going over one on a hill and thought I had enough momentum to get over but when I let the clutch out it went clunk and stalled. Needless to say I was emabrassed, and it took part of my man pride away. Anyone else ever have that happen? Haha
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel pretty stupid when I don't stop short enough and scrape my lower valance on a curb. This way you get to feel stupid when leaving too.

Rick
Old 05-22-2015, 04:39 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I always worried when I had my 86 4+3 Id stall it in front of everyone. Luckily I didn't but the fear was always there.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having spent over $2,000 on a new clutch, I am resolute not to replace it ever again. To that end, I am overly gentle on this one. I let it out as gently as one might pat an infant on the butt. Needless to say, I have stalled once or "cough" twice, leaving my man pride damaged. It's all good though, it happens to the best of us!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

When I first got my 96 I did not realize how low it sat. Went over a speed bump a little too fast and bounced it off the cats. No damage other than embarrassment and a few scraps to the bottom of the cats. Now I take my time on those taller speed bumps.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Stalling is embarrassing for sure, but pride can be restored depending on how quickly you restart and get the hell out of there lol.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend called it "putting the fire out" and he stalled his TransAm a couple times. It's always a bit embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassing ...

A couple weeks ago, I rolled into a parking space FAR away from everyone else, and with a post on one side.

I was watching that post so carefully that I completely failed to note the post in FRONT that stuck out across the entire sidewalk.

I scraped her nose on that - thank goodness for the license plate cover - otherwise it would have been her skin I scraped instead of just a plastic cover. I can repaint that pretty easy ..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:05 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default bumps

Originally Posted by 1stvetteguy
There are some stupid steep speed bumps in my development, and they just redid them making them even worse. Typically I slow down enough to just coast the nose over the first part then get back on the gas to get the rest of the way over. Today I was going over one on a hill and thought I had enough momentum to get over but when I let the clutch out it went clunk and stalled. Needless to say I was emabrassed, and it took part of my man pride away. Anyone else ever have that happen? Haha
Get the auto. Don't worry. Be happy
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

its even worse when it happens while driving a semi truck. I have a 12 speed auto now so no more worries.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM
cessnaguy1965
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay - Time to come clean.

The first go around for me was a 1985 model and the 4+3 Doug Nash whatever it was. Thinking I was Mr. Stud sitting at a stop light, my thoughts were confirmed when a group of 20 something kids pulled up next to me oohing and aahing the car and yelling what we love to hear - "Nice Ride!!" Full of confidence I thought to myself, this is what it's all about. The light turns green and you guessed it, I killed it right there. A quick restart and I am outta there!!

Sometimes a good soul cleansing is good for you...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Id admit it if I killed it in front of anyone but never did. Not that I was some awesome driver as much as paranoid

I have killed it in my driveway before and even killed it once when I thought it was in neutral and let the clutch out. But around others I was always worried Id kill it and payed more attention.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:27 AM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

not being mean but how do you stall the engine with the amount of torque these engines have right from get go? I let a friend drive my corvette the other day. Boy that was nerve racking. He let the clutch out ever so slowly. I was like saying to my car "sorry baby I will clean the carpet and wash you when we get home". LOL. I'm not sure what gearbox and rear end you have but I have the 6 speed. The torque is unbelievable. I dont think I have ever stalled it.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Ah, I feel your pain... I've got an aluminum FW to boot. The only time I wish for the old dual-mass FW is starting on a hill with some dill-weed right on my bumper!. If it is really steep, I use the E-brake maneuver, but right on the cusp of going through that procedure is where it gets hairy!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not know about an aluminum fly wheel. I can imagine less mass would be easier to stall out. Can you really tell the difference? On a side note does your engine rev up quicker?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car is scared of speed bumps, and many entrances to businesses. Then again it only has a bit more clearance the a Pepsi can on it's side.

Get notified of new replies

To facepalmed and pride hurt

Quick Reply: facepalmed and pride hurt