Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New battery installed question in a 1994 coupe???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:04 AM
mailman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New battery installed question in a 1994 coupe???

For you Corvette gurus that work on your own cars, how hard is it to install a new battery in a 1994 coupe? Any tricks I need to know?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Assuming yours is the same as a '90-95, the "gill panel" has to be removed first, but that isn't difficult - WITH the right tools.

You'll need to remove the top 3 bigger "star" screws attaching the wheel well liner to the gill panel (the two smaller bottom screws do not need to be removed as they secure the rocker panel, not the gill panel), the 10mm bolt holding the gill panel tab at the top of the panel (tucked in at the bottom of the rubber hood seal) and then you'll need a THIN 10mm open end wrench to loosen the 10mm bolt at the bottom of the gill panel (located in a slim opening between the gill panel and the rocker panel). This bottom bolt need only be loosened enough to slide the (slotted) gill panel tab out. Now, the hold-down bolt and batter terminals are all in open access.

Reinstall is done in opposite order, but being fussy with panel alignment, it takes me 5x longer to get the gill panel aligned again than it the does for rest of the entire job! But, that's just the "waxer" in me, I suppose!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-23-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM
mailman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Assuming yours is the same as a '90-95, the "gill panel" has to be removed first, but that isn't difficult - WITH the right tools.

You'll need to remove the top 3 bigger "star" screws attaching the wheel well liner to the gill panel (the two smaller bottom screws do not need to be removed as they secure the rocker panel, not the gill panel), the 10mm bolt holding the gill panel tab at the top of the panel (tucked in at the bottom of the rubber hood seal) and then you'll need a THIN 10mm open end wrench to loosen the 10mm bolt at the bottom of the gill panel (located in a slim opening between the gill panel and the rocker panel). This bottom bolt need only be loosened enough to slide the (slotted) gill panel tab out. Now, the hold-down bolt and batter terminals are all in open access.

Reinstall is done in opposite order, but being fussy with panel alignment, it takes me 5x longer to get the gill panel aligned again than it the does for rest of the entire job! But, that's just the "waxer" in me, I suppose!
Thank you for your reply, I changed the battery in about 30 minutes. Before I took the top bolt out, I marked where it was originally so I could put it back in the same position. Then the bottom of the gill panel fell right into place.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:36 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got it replaced.

I had a video linked in my previous post which detailed the entire process. That post has now come up missing.

Not sure why a moderator would delete such a post. I assume a moderator is the only such person capable of deleting a post.

No explanation was offered or given.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:55 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by kg4fku

I had a video linked in my previous post which detailed the entire process. That post has now come up missing.

Not sure why a moderator would delete such a post. I assume a moderator is the only such person capable of deleting a post.

I highly doubt any moderator would have deleted your post.
They very seldom do anything like that.

If something in the post is copyrighted or otherwise not allowed, they will remove the link and edit the post as to why.

The only time I have ever seen a post completely deleted, is when there are some serious arguments or bashing of other members going on.
And even then you would have been notified.

They don't just randomly delete posts.

So, is it possible that your post never actually got posted to this thread?
Old 05-23-2015, 02:02 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by kg4fku

Ok, I found the reason you have no video in "This" thread.

The OP started a new thread.
The other thread is in the C4 Tech section, and your post (with video) is in that thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

So, nobody deleted anything.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:08 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Ok, I found the reason you have no video in "This" thread.

The OP started a new thread.
The other thread is in the C4 Tech section, and your post (with video) is in that thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

So, nobody deleted anything.
LOL!

Good catch! I'll wear my dunce cap and go sit in the corner now....

Get notified of new replies

To New battery installed question in a 1994 coupe???

Quick Reply: New battery installed question in a 1994 coupe???