C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hit and Run, They Finally Got Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Hit and Run, They Finally Got Me

Well, they've been trying and trying to hit my car since I bought it 8 months ago and they finally succeeded, albeit they had to wait until I wasn't in the car.

Got the nose clipped by a hit and run pickup last night while parked at the local racetrack. Two girls I didn't know hung around for over an hour until I came out. They got a description of the truck and the tag number but I really do not expect to hear anything back from the local public servants.

The car only had liability insurance so the repairs, if I do any, are on me. At minimum I'll need a new nose piece.

Rick
Old 05-23-2015, 08:03 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Man, that really sucks. After the cops catch up with with those folks, bet they beat a path to your door before going to court.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

I got clipped at a cicle K in FL by a big dodge pickup...some dummy from W VA...laughed at me, said it was a no fault state and i'd have to fix it myself....called his insurance (shield and star) and they fixed it to the tune of 1200 bucks...they denied me at first , but paid when I told them it was on video at the store...i'd let the cops hunt that guy down and get the insurance info....it's worth a shot....
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Yea, it was an older man and his wife in a fairly new full size truck. The FHP has an address and were supposed to go check it out but I'm not holding out much hope. These things NEVER work out in my favor.

Thanks for the condolences.

Rick
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Yea, it was an older man and his wife in a fairly new full size truck. The FHP has an address and were supposed to go check it out but I'm not holding out much hope. These things NEVER work out in my favor.

Thanks for the condolences.

Rick
Mine got clipped like that too but no info on the other driver. But my ins paid for it with no deductable since it was parked. Give the info to your ins they will go after him.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:14 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Only has liability so I'm SOL.

RH
Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Man that sux.. If the police won't do anything you should be able to get there name and address from the report and with witnesses take them to small claims court.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Why would the police not do anything? The last time I checked hit and run is illegal.....
Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Why would the police not do anything? The last time I checked hit and run is illegal.....
No doughnut
Old 05-23-2015, 10:30 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

When I left at 0130 this morning the last thing he said was "We're going over now to check the address, we'll call you later tonight or in the morning". Haven't heard anything yet.

From the looks of it in the daylight it's possible only his back tire contacted the car. The girls said they heard a crunch and looked back to see my car go up in the air then slam back down. I still can't believe they hung out for so long just to tell me what happened.

RH
Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

That's too bad, I hate when people act that way and refuse to take responsibility. Don't give up, the same thing happened to me earlier this year when a woman backed into my Charger in the passenger door doing $1,500 damage. A young girl that saw it gave me the same info you got. She ended up getting charged with reckless backing and leaving the scene based on the girl's statement and eventually her own comments. Records show she paid $600 in fines.

Her insurance company worked with me even tough she did everything she could to stop it. She refused to return their calls and they had to wait for a 90 day period for her to respond sending her multiple registered letters which she returned. She had until the end of 90 days to acknowledge the claim after which she would lose her insurance policy and right to appeal. She waited until the 90th day to respond and I was paid on the 91st.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I really do not expect to hear anything back from the local public servants.
WHAT!? HOw can you say that?? They're here to help us! .....right? When my car was stolen (and I got it back w/o any police help) I asked police if they would finger print or pursue it. Answer was "We don't pursue crimes that aren't serious." Stealing cars isn't a serious crime.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:55 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
WHAT!? HOw can you say that?? They're here to help us! .....right? When my car was stolen (and I got it back w/o any police help) I asked police if they would finger print or pursue it. Answer was "We don't pursue crimes that aren't serious." Stealing cars isn't a serious crime.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Yep. At best they're there to just clean up the bodies after everything's already gone down. Home invasions aren't serious crimes either.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

A). You reported a hit and run property damage accident. This is a traffic violation. An accident report probably has to be done(requirements are different from state to state).
B). You have witnesses that got the offending drivers registration.

It will have to be followed up on. If you don't hear from the police after a few days I would contact a supervisor to see the status of your report.

Try getting the police to come for that in NYC they'll laugh at you on the phone. It's a priority business and there's one cop for every 5,000 citizens where I live. After your accident does anyone really think that's all he/she had to do for the rest of the day?
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Because in this "he must have had a bad upbringing" liberal world, there is not enough police to go around. Sucks when these things happen, but that is the facts and a fender bender is far from the top of the importance scale to a police force. Can you imagine phoning 911 when someone is trying to break into your house and being told, "It will be about 30 minutes sir, they are investigating a backed into Corvette". Just saying.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for the condolences.

I'm a realist, I know they're not going to launch a major investigation because somebody damaged a poor old carpenter's 26 year old Corvette and then took off. Frankly, I'm surprised they even showed up at the track to do the report, two of them !!

But since they did have eye witnesses, a vehicle and driver description and a tag number I had a faint glimmer of hope I would hear something. This was the "Florida Highway Patrol", its their job to investigate hit and runs, not B&Es.

As far as calling them, all I've ever gotten before is "don't call us, we'll call you".

Rick
Old 05-24-2015, 03:34 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Sorry to hear about your vette, you should get a crash cam.
A video camera/gps tracker, i have one that automatically records movement when parked. That is great proof that the cops need, shows their tag vehicle color etc.

Here is what the footage looks like, from my old one some years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Hit and Run, They Finally Got Me

Quick Reply: Hit and Run, They Finally Got Me