C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New to the forum: C4 ZR1 advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Brando3C28
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum: C4 ZR1 advise

Default New to this...looking at purchasing a vette, but have young kids.
Looking for some advise... I'm 32 years old, married and have 2 children. (8yr. & 3yr.) I have been a Corvette lover since I was kid! My wife has always known that too. Just recently a family friend told me he is ready part with his 1992 ZR1. I have driven the car, which might have been a mistake.... I love the car. I know Corvettes and I know how rare ZR1's are. When he told me the price he wanted for it, I about lost my mind. I looked up the car and it booked for $28,000. The friend said he would take $18,500 (with car cover and 3 sets of rims) ,now the problem I'm having is convincing my wife how good a deal this is.
We have 2 vehicles, 2012 Dodge Durango (paid off) and a 2013 Chrysler t&c($9,000 left) and still owe on our home. I will have to borrow to purchase the Vette, but don't want to pay 2 vehicles payments.(high apr) I purposed the idea to do a heloc loan, to do some improvements to our home and purchase the car as well. My wife stated at this point in our lives, it doesn't make sense. We have young kids and they can't ride in it. When would I drive it? She knows it's a dream of mine to own a corvette, but thinks it's not a good idea.
My thoughts and out look on the car is, its more of an investment, then just a selfish want. Granted the car is not a trailer baby, it gets driven and has 43,000 miles on it. I also feel if I don't do the purchase, I will miss out on a great deal!
Can some of the family guys chime in and help me out with this topic!?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando3C28
Default New to this...looking at purchasing a vette, but have young kids.
Looking for some advise... I'm 32 years old, married and have 2 children. (8yr. & 3yr.) I have been a Corvette lover since I was kid! My wife has always known that too. Just recently a family friend told me he is ready part with his 1992 ZR1. I have driven the car, which might have been a mistake.... I love the car. I know Corvettes and I know how rare ZR1's are. When he told me the price he wanted for it, I about lost my mind. I looked up the car and it booked for $28,000. The friend said he would take $18,500 (with car cover and 3 sets of rims) ,now the problem I'm having is convincing my wife how good a deal this is.
We have 2 vehicles, 2012 Dodge Durango (paid off) and a 2013 Chrysler t&c($9,000 left) and still owe on our home. I will have to borrow to purchase the Vette, but don't want to pay 2 vehicles payments.(high apr) I purposed the idea to do a heloc loan, to do some improvements to our home and purchase the car as well. My wife stated at this point in our lives, it doesn't make sense. We have young kids and they can't ride in it. When would I drive it? She knows it's a dream of mine to own a corvette, but thinks it's not a good idea.
My thoughts and out look on the car is, its more of an investment, then just a selfish want. Granted the car is not a trailer baby, it gets driven and has 43,000 miles on it. I also feel if I don't do the purchase, I will miss out on a great deal!
Can some of the family guys chime in and help me out with this topic!?
forget it!. What about your kids education, you're retirement, ......
Investment? Forget that too!. Ask the guy who paid $70 or $80K for that car.
Buy a vette for a lot less if you must and have the same fun
Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Brando3C28
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
forget it!. What about your kids education, you're retirement, ......
Investment? Forget that too!. Ask the guy who paid $70 or $80K for that car.
Buy a vette for a lot less if you must and have the same fun
My retirement is taken care of, but the only thing that lacks is our children's college funds. They're set up, but should invest the 18,500 into that. Thanks for the input
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Brando3C28
My retirement is taken care of, but the only thing that lacks is our children's college funds. They're set up, but should invest the 18,500 into that. Thanks for the input
How about student loans?

Enjoy your life dude, buy whatever is that will make you happy.

Are you going to wait to be 70 years old to get a Corvette?

There are NO Corvettes in heaven.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Brando3C28
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PLRX
How about student loans?

Enjoy your life dude, buy whatever is that will make you happy.

Are you going to wait to be 70 years old to get a Corvette?

There are NO Corvettes in heaven.
My wife and I have no student loans. She's a prek director at our church and I'm a Deputy Sheriff. I would love to buy the vette, but I struggle with making the right decision. I don't want my kids to struggle as I did growing up. My parents didn't put college funds for me as a priority. I served my country. Thanks for the input. Video too! Ha
Old 05-24-2015, 03:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe your friends ZR-1 is sorted, but I wouldn't get such and older car with a payment. Also book price is maybe important for insurance companies, but a lot of people are offering or waiting for these cars to sell for $15k. $18k sounds like a fair price for both buyer and seller if it is kept up and 90 percent good to go.

I did enjoy my LT1 car just as much and that was a $7000 car. Not nearly as much money to be lost there and makes for a better daily driver than a ZR-1. Lastly I'm going to assume you can take care of general repairs yourself? Otherwise a C4 with a payment will crush you.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Brando3C28
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mike100
Maybe your friends ZR-1 is sorted, but I wouldn't get such and older car with a payment. Also book price is maybe important for insurance companies, but a lot of people are offering or waiting for these cars to sell for $15k. $18k sounds like a fair price for both buyer and seller if it is kept up and 90 percent good to go.

I did enjoy my LT1 car just as much and that was a $7000 car. Not nearly as much money to be lost there and makes for a better daily driver than a ZR-1. Lastly I'm going to assume you can take care of general repairs yourself? Otherwise a C4 with a payment will crush you.
Car is solid, I'm definitely a car guy and handy with repairs. Since he's a family friend that price is only for me. He was giving me first dibs. I guess I'm just stuck on the hype and history of it being a Zr1. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:23 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Students loans for your kids.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:23 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Go for it.

A low mile 92 second generation of the LT5 with 405 or 415 hp compared to the 375-395 h/p 88-91 LT5.

The engine will be fine, they are bulletproof however gaskets are getting harder to come by. You have to pay a premium price to the ones that purchased the GM stock.

The 92-93 corvettes are great, the added bonus is no passenger airbag so you can take your kids for a ride.
The 94-95 came with passenger airbag, there are instructions on how to disable the passenger airbag online.
I would love a low mile ZR1 (especiallythe last 95 C4 ZR1 corvettes).

its only money ... why wait to be able to afford it and no longer be able to contort for entry exit of the C4...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I would wait-but not as long as I did.

I had my muscle cars before getting married, (Chevy 409,57 chevy with a crate 327) with there traffic stops and tickets included! Then married and 3 kids, raising them and putting them thru school with no debt. Never thought about a Vette until after their education and job requirements. Did buy a Plymouth Laser turbo later which was fast and fun but I should have bought a Vette then when I was 50! Finally bought one at 70 and now some medical things are not letting me enjoy it as much as it should.
My 2 cents is wait, family first, pay cash, but not to late!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Pick up a nice 92-96 c4 for half the money or even less.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

WWDD?
www.daveramsey.com
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I dont get the dilemma.... lets look at this. You have worked hard to get to a point in your life where you own a home and provide for your family... Now you want reasonably priced toy for yourself. At todays heloc rates that car if you only make the minimum payment per month will cost next to nothing.

1.The interst will be deductable

2.It sounds like a nice car that is priced right... it could be easily sold for what you have in it down the road if it seems like you are falling short on your investments/kids college funding. Its not like it will have no value... it is an asset that has likely bottomed out depreciation wise.

3. If you are a deputy im sure there is a detail here and there that you could pick up. I know what details pay. One or 2 a month would easily cover the cost of ownership.

Enjoy life and get the car.... hammer home the point that it will be a savings account that you can drive/enjoy.... that car, if maintained will not loose any more value. Trashed ZR's can be parted out for 12 grand.

Good luck!!

Mike
Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I dont get the dilemma.... lets look at this. You have worked hard to get to a point in your life where you own a home and provide for your family... Now you want reasonably priced toy for yourself. At todays heloc rates that car if you only make the minimum payment per month will cost next to nothing.

1.The interst will be deductable

2.It sounds like a nice car that is priced right... it could be easily sold for what you have in it down the road if it seems like you are falling short on your investments/kids college funding. Its not like it will have no value... it is an asset that has likely bottomed out depreciation wise.

3. If you are a deputy im sure there is a detail here and there that you could pick up. I know what details pay. One or 2 a month would easily cover the cost of ownership.

Enjoy life and get the car.... hammer home the point that it will be a savings account that you can drive/enjoy.... that car, if maintained will not loose any more value. Trashed ZR's can be parted out for 12 grand.

Good luck!!

Mike
since when?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

since when?
Uhhh... the 80's i believe.

Read the OP 1st post concerning how he would finance the purchase.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Go for it. There was a ZR-1 that I wish I pulled the trigger on a year ago.
It worked out for the better in the end, since I now have a blower waiting on me to put in my 89. (The ZR-1 would have been my second vette) And more than enough spare money for a big block build for my Camaro.

I got my first vette three years ago at 27. Totally worth it. I didn't have to make payments for my 89, but still.

You've worked hard, and got ahead of things, plus, no airbag in the passenger side. Can take one of the kids out for a ride with it.

Or you can even drive it to work. C4s are pretty reliable cars when taken care of.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First off cars do not make good investments, I say go for it. I've always done just that and just worked harder to make it work and still support all the family needs. Even bought fixed and sold many Corvette's over the years to support the ones I wanted to keep.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the forum: C4 ZR1 advise

Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
Uhhh... the 80's i believe.

Read the OP 1st post concerning how he would finance the purchase.
didn't see that. Still bad idea
Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

didn't see that. Still bad idea
How is that? Lets look at an estimate of cost of ownership assuming he owns it 5 years and puts 25000 miles on it

Insurance 3000
Maintence 2500
Real interest 1500
Depreciation 2000
Tires. 1500
Tax. 1000
License. 500

Total. 12000/60 =200/mo

So $200 a month to fulfill a dream and enjoy life just a bit more. He then, if need be sells the car easily for $16500 and refunds the money back into a dividend earning account... or he and his wifes income continues to grow, its a non issue and he never has to have the regrets so many overly conservative folks do.

Guess im just a live life for the moment kind of person.... its served me well

Last edited by OH THREE Z; 05-24-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sending you a PM on this

Quick Reply: New to the forum: C4 ZR1 advise