C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Owner Observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:51 PM
unihusker
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Owner Observations

Being a new Vette owner for a month now...here are some observations I've made so far:

* A lot of stares/nice car comments.
* So far, been challenged by 350Z, '08 GT Mustang, a rice burner with very loud exhaust. Victorious so far.
* Wife has fallen in love with my car & has even taken it out for a spin.
* New tires make a world of difference
* Incredibly good mpg on the hwy

More to come later...
Old 05-25-2015, 01:19 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Don't forget the "wave" to fellow Corvette owners.

Feels good doesn't it!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I agree, it's a great hobby and a fun car to own. However, not in agreement with;

Originally Posted by unihusker
* So far, been challenged by 350Z, '08 GT Mustang, a rice burner with very loud exhaust. Victorious so far.
That's a great way to end you fun and tear up your Vette as well as alienate those who share the road with you and are not really interested in someone's ability to be "victorious" when they're sharing the same streets with our wives and kids. Unless you're doing it a at local track, you may want to reconsider those challenges as being a bad idea.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

welcome to the forum!!! I agree, it's a fun car to drive....but blowing the doors off rice burners is easy and no challenge...and will only add points to your license...if you really look for the tire smokers, you'll find you're not the "big man on campus" and it'll take quite a few mods (and money) to keep up....enjoy your ride as it is.....
Old 05-25-2015, 07:39 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree on keeping the racing on the track, whether it's quarter or eighth mile or autocross, keep it where it's safe. Anything you do on the street is risky other than driving. Think about it, if not you then someone else. They may be putting you wife, children, parents etc at risk for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Unfortunately it will happen (street racing that is), but let it be the other guy than a jerk in a Vette. Do it where it's safe and set an example for others.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by playsdixie
welcome to the forum!!! I agree, it's a fun car to drive....but blowing the doors off rice burners is easy and no challenge...and will only add points to your license...if you really look for the tire smokers, you'll find you're not the "big man on campus" and it'll take quite a few mods (and money) to keep up....enjoy your ride as it is.....
I absolutely agree. And for the record, my wife has a new Subaru Forrester XT Touring with a turbo 2 liter engine that will smoke my LT1 any day if the week in the eighth mile.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

careful around the new mustangs. They were blowing my doors off at the drag strip a few weeks ago. I was turning just at 14.037 ETs and they were hitting the mid 13s
Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm a new owner too and what I've mostly observed is my car is a little red target for imbecile vehicle operators. It's like it isn't even there.

Rick
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We just ended up with an 89 convertible (trade to get rid of a jet boat). It is a fun car, but not nearly as quick as my E55 AMG MB (actually not a fair comparison as the Mercedes has a Kleeman supercharger). Merely OK on the highway as to ride and "fun" but where it does excel is on twisty roads. You don't have to get stupid to have a great time on curvy roads. It also seems like you are going much faster than you really are-55 feels like 65 to the point I had to gps it to verify proper speedo). I am finding this thing is trying to nickle and dime me though. Seems the previous owner(s) did not drive it much and didn't repair little things as they went wrong. Most of the screws have been removed and left out of the interior. Typical dash bulbs burned out, heater control funky and the weatherstripping is in need of replace. But...it is fun to drive, and gets many stares and comments and I am thinking of keeping it as a fun project.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner Observations

Quick Reply: New Owner Observations