Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear Hatch wll not open ... Ground?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
BroHamDetroit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch wll not open ... Ground?

Hello all,

My rear hatch will not open. I can hear the relay (so I know there is power) but the hatch will not open. :-(

The Factory Shop manual suggests it may be the ground on the passenger side but doesn't give any direction on where it is.

Does anybody know where the rear hatch ground is? Behind the speaker? Behind the light? In the storage box behind the seat? Anything will help but pictures would be great.

BTW Not sure if it is related but starting around the same time. The car stopped sensing the remote door opener, the lights sometimes don't come on when I open the passenger door and the power antenna doesn't work. Maybe they share the same ground?

thank you all in advance

Todd
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by BroHamDetroit
Hello all,

My rear hatch will not open. I can hear the relay (so I know there is power) but the hatch will not open. :-(

The Factory Shop manual suggests it may be the ground on the passenger side but doesn't give any direction on where it is.

Does anybody know where the rear hatch ground is? Behind the speaker? Behind the light? In the storage box behind the seat? Anything will help but pictures would be great.

BTW Not sure if it is related but starting around the same time. The car stopped sensing the remote door opener, the lights sometimes don't come on when I open the passenger door and the power antenna doesn't work. Maybe they share the same ground?

thank you all in advance

Todd
Try pushing it down while trying.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM
BroHamDetroit
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Try pushing it down while trying.
no luck with pushing down. I believe it is either a bad actuator or bad ground. I'm thinking ground because of the other problems.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

no luck with pushing down. I believe it is either a bad actuator or bad ground. I'm thinking ground because of the other problems.
but was worth a try. what year?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 AM
BroHamDetroit
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
But was worth a try. What year?

All three methods stop working at the same time along with the remote control for the alarm/doors
Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I belive there is a emegancy release cable right by the latch that you can pull. Get it open and check the soliniod and connections and ground.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I did not have that problem but I was told that there was an emergency cable for precisely that purpose. I could not find it until I retracted the cargo area curtain and with a flashlight started looking between the curtain and the rear hatch trim. There it was in the center under the latch. I used needle nose pliers to grab it and since it is very short, I clamped a small Craftsman locking plier to the end and left the cable and plier dangling out. Anytime I have to open the hatch when the battery is disconnected for any reason, I just retract the curtain and pull the plier. It works every time. They should have put a handle on the thing at the factory.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:13 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Soft click= electrical side is okay (relay). Louder click comes from the glass springing up off the catch.

My struts failed, a sevidenced by the piece needing 'help' to start up, then didn't quite go all the way up, then not at all.

Be advised, the glass piece is very heavy, as you'll see when you get the first strut off. Be ready to prop it open with something. Some may need help with holding the glass open and/or compressing the new strut while fitting it.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

On the passenger door not turning on the int. lights check the door switch may be sticking.

Do the other hatch switches all give the same results? Have you checked all the related fuses? As antfarmer2 suggested get the hatch open with the emergency cable than you can start diagnosing the latch assembly after removing the rear trim. As far as the key fob have you tried re-programming it?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:19 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The ground for the hatch solenoid is G401. It is located near the rear compartment light on the passenger side:

The hatch solenoid might be bad. Here's a link to a thread on repairing the solenoid:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-repair.html
Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM
BroHamDetroit
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ground for the hatch solenoid is G401. It is located near the rear compartment light on the passenger side:

The hatch solenoid might be bad. Here's a link to a thread on repairing the solenoid:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-repair.html
thanks Cliff. I'll get into it this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch wll not open ... Ground?

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch wll not open ... Ground?