PKE help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default PKE help needed

I have a 96 that i bought about a year ago without either of the key fobs included. I finally got around to purchasing a fob and i attempted to program it with only partial success.

The fob will lock/unlock the passenger door as well as the hatch but will not lock/unlock the driver side door. I can her a slight noise coming from inside the driver side door when pressing the fob button. The power locks are working on both sides insude the car.

I had a 94 many years ago and i seem to remember the fob having a proximity sensor that unlocked the doors when approaching the car. That is not working either on my 96.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I have a 96 that i bought about a year ago without either of the key fobs included. I finally got around to purchasing a fob and i attempted to program it with only partial success.

The fob will lock/unlock the passenger door as well as the hatch but will not lock/unlock the driver side door. I can her a slight noise coming from inside the driver side door when pressing the fob button. The power locks are working on both sides insude the car.

I had a 94 many years ago and i seem to remember the fob having a proximity sensor that unlocked the doors when approaching the car. That is not working either on my 96.

Mike
I belive there are many modes that can be set look in your owners manual.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks... didnt consider that. I hope it is something that simple... I know where the pke module is
Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thanks... didnt consider that. I hope it is something that simple... I know where the pke module is
I have never had a problem with mine. It is the least understood item on a Vette. It is also the number one reason Vette owners bring their cars in to the dealers.

I don't know if you know this but the door button NEVER gets pressed, only the coupe. If you press and hold the door button from the outside you can actually program it to open the doors as if you were doing it inside the car. They work like this. Three modes. Just driver's door opens, just passenger door opens, or both doors open.

Also, a lot of people do not know this dirty little secret. When you buy a new one the battery is installed upside down to prevent drain.

As I first indicated, I have never, not once had a problem with it. It just takes a lot of learning how the system works.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Your system seems operational. All you have to do is turn the system on.

The Passive Unlock/Lock Disable Procedure allows the operator to turn “OFF” the passive functions of the PKE system. The function can only be accessed from the transmitter in range/key not in ignition state.

The following conditions must occur:
1. Valid Transmitter is in range.
2. The key is not in the ignition.
3. The “DOOR” button has been pushed for longer than two seconds.

When these conditions are met, the PKE module will lock the doors and will then unlock the door(s) to notify the operator that the command has been received.

Also, when the passive feature has been disabled, the “PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY” lamp will not illuminate for bulb check when the key is first turned “ON”.

When the passive feature has been disabled, repeating the procedure above will enable the passive unlock/lock function and the “PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY” lamp will illuminate upon ignition “ON”.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2

Three modes. Just driver's door opens, just passenger door opens, or both doors open.
Would you explain how to program this little trick? I want both doors to unlock vice just the drivers door.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Would you explain how to program this little trick? I want both doors to unlock vice just the drivers door.
This is what I found.
I don't know if you know this but the door button NEVER gets pressed, only the coupe. If you press and hold the door button from the outside you can actually program it to open the doors as if you were doing it inside the car. They work like this. Three modes. Just driver's door opens, just passenger door opens, or both doors open. looks like you hold the door button on the remote to program

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-28-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the help. Never realized that there were multiple modes for the pke system. I will give it a shot tomight.

Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 12:03 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

This is what I found.
I don't know if you know this but the door button NEVER gets pressed, only the coupe. If you press and hold the door button from the outside you can actually program it to open the doors as if you were doing it inside the car. They work like this. Three modes. Just driver's door opens, just passenger door opens, or both doors open. looks like you hold the door button on the remote to program
Where did you find it?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Where did you find it?
googled it my 94 just opened both door as I walked to it till the battery died. One day I will remember to get a new fob battery. Lol

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-28-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:23 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Where did you find it?
The instructions are in your owners manual.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Mike

You just need to understand how it works. The door button does three things: it turns the system "on" and "off". It unlocks the passenger door, and it allows you to have the system passively unlock both doors or only the drivers door. The instructions for all of this are in your owners manual.

The system itself is passive only (except for unlocking the drivers door or hatch). You cannot make it work like most fobs. Pressing the door button will never lock the doors, or unlock the drivers door.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:31 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

I have never had a problem with mine. It is the least understood item on a Vette. It is also the number one reason Vette owners bring their cars in to the dealers.

I don't know if you know this but the door button NEVER gets pressed, only the coupe. If you press and hold the door button from the outside you can actually program it to open the doors as if you were doing it inside the car. They work like this. Three modes. Just driver's door opens, just passenger door opens, or both doors open.

Also, a lot of people do not know this dirty little secret. When you buy a new one the battery is installed upside down to prevent drain.

As I first indicated, I have never, not once had a problem with it. It just takes a lot of learning how the system works.
Two modes, drivers door or both doors. (Or passenger by pressing the button.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markKlein
The instructions are in your owners manual.
Below is the section out of the owners manual that discussed how to change the programing of the system.

PKE Settings
You can use the system for both doors or just the
driver’s door, or you can turn the system off.

To change door settings:
1. Put the ignition key in the ignition, but don’t turn it on.
2. Press DOOR on the transmitter until the door locks cycle (about two seconds).

To turn the system off:
1. Take the ignition key out of the ignition.
2. Press DOOR on the transmitter until the door locks
cycle (about two seconds).

To turn the system back on, just repeat the steps.

To check that the system is off, turn on the ignition. The PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light on the Driver Information Center should not come on. If the light does come on for a second or two, then the PKE system is still on.

You can also check whether the system is on or off by closing the door and walking away with the keys and transmitter. If the doors lock, the system is on.

If you are working around your vehicle and keeping your keys with you, you might want to turn the PKE system off. If you don’t, the transmitter will keep locking and unlocking your doors.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ That was very Helpful!^^

Been trying to figure that out for a month!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My 94

Took me a little while to figure out "how it works" even with the manual to eventually unlock both doors at once in the auto setting! After a short time you get tired of auto lock, beep and trying to walk by the car in the garage and it opening the doors and then locking them when you get farther away. The auto setting is great if you are away from home. A solution is leaving it in auto setting and use a second set of keys without a fob on it when at home!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
Took me a little while to figure out "how it works" even with the manual to eventually unlock both doors at once in the auto setting! After a short time you get tired of auto lock, beep and trying to walk by the car in the garage and it opening the doors and then locking them when you get farther away. The auto setting is great if you are away from home. A solution is leaving it in auto setting and use a second set of keys without a fob on it when at home!
It only takes a couple seconds to turn the system "off". Lots of people leave it off and turn it on if they are going to be parking in public.

Get notified of new replies

To PKE help needed

Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default That is true Mark

Originally Posted by markKlein
It only takes a couple seconds to turn the system "off". Lots of people leave it off and turn it on if they are going to be parking in public.
Did that for a while, and then the extra set of keys seemed easy. Another reason for us not having the fob with us is that we walk a few miles a day and the fob in your pocket is "rattiling away" like a pedometer does. Didn't know if that was using battery or not!

If you don't have a manual the PKE system can be a head scratcher!

The Opti and PKE posts are probably the most popular posts!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
Did that for a while, and then the extra set of keys seemed easy. Another reason for us not having the fob with us is that we walk a few miles a day and the fob in your pocket is "rattiling away" like a pedometer does. Didn't know if that was using battery or not!

If you don't have a manual the PKE system can be a head scratcher!

The Opti and PKE posts are probably the most popular posts!
That's true, every time you take a step it transmitts.

http://freeshopmanual.com/uploads/pd...994-Owners.pdf
Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Working like a charm... thanks to all that helped me with this

Mike

Quick Reply: PKE help needed