Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

opti spark issues

Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 PM
kevinpepsimech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opti spark issues

Ive put a new LT1 crate motor in my 96 vette and now needs a opti spark- Im finding alot that are not compatible- does anyone know where I could purchase one online and one that will fit- Ive tried ebay and amazon and most say wont fit and the new delphi oem is pricy- I know I should buy that one but cant do it right now and want to make sure thats what it is- most likely going to sell it- its been a nightmare since day 1- thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 AM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't you find some of the $99 Chinese trash on E-bay that will fit? If you're going to keep the car spend the money if not get it running and say bye bye.

I bought a Delphi for my LT4 because I only wanted to do it once. It had an Accel in it that failed, it was made in China.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinpepsimech
Ive put a new LT1 crate motor in my 96 vette and now needs a opti spark- Im finding alot that are not compatible- does anyone know where I could purchase one online and one that will fit- Ive tried ebay and amazon and most say wont fit and the new delphi oem is pricy- I know I should buy that one but cant do it right now and want to make sure thats what it is- most likely going to sell it- its been a nightmare since day 1- thanks
Is your crate motor designed for a vented opti? I'm
aware a '96 came with a vented opti, just not sure a crate motor did.

I have replaced 4 optis (non-vented).... 2 NOS ACDelco, and 2 NOS Delphi, and all eventually failed.
My most recent opti is distributed by SacCityCorvettes..... so far, so good.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:18 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=I have replaced 4 optis (non-vented).... 2 NOS ACDelco, and 2 NOS Delphi, and all eventually failed.
My most recent opti is distributed by SacCityCorvettes..... so far, so good.[/QUOTE]

I/m on my fourth opti in just over 12,000 mi. the oem original failed, replaced with a dyna spark that failed 520mi later, replaced that with replacement dyna spark that failed 11,200mi later, replaced that with a sac city that failed 1100mi later. I just spent the money and installed a ac delco NOS. the story continues....

money doesn't guarantee quality or longevity. as far as I can tell through my research its a 50/50 crap shoot on which ones will last vented or not vented.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinpepsimech
Put a GM re-man on my 96 (vented) in September, so far no problems. It was a little more than some of the ones I saw on JEGS and Summit Racing, but considering the original lasted for over 100k....

later, tiny
Old 06-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Got tired of throwing big money at Opti's so I went for a low buck option from AIP, that so far has been much better that I ever expected. I bought the Vented model which has the large drive section which drives off from an offset pin in the camshaft. Mine is a 96 model, but since you have a crate engine, you will have to determine if your Opti drive is the small splined shaft drive or the later model pin drive.
My Opti was purchased online from AIP.
http://www.aipelectronics.com/
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM
JWASR64
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are there Opti spark failure warning signs ?

Hind sight is 20/20 ! Can any of you who have dealt with this problem
look back and point out clues/signs ?

Thanks in advance.

BA
Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM
kevinpepsimech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWASR64
Hind sight is 20/20 ! Can any of you who have dealt with this problem
look back and point out clues/signs ?

Thanks in advance.