C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weird Trip to Work... Clues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 AM
moco65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Trip to Work... Clues?

So I start up the vette this morning and get about 1/2 way down the block and notice the "Service Engine Soon" light is on, on the DIC. What's weirder, is I notice the speedometer is reading zero, as is the instant gas mileage readout. Read this way the whole way to work. Good news (?) is the odometer didn't function either, bad news is that nothing stops the dreaded SYS light from flashing... that worked as "normal".

Only other observation was that the car was idling low - around 500 rpm - compared to the usual 900. Seemed to run fine. Never missed. Ran strong.

Will pull codes when I get home, but the curiosity is killing me as to what could cause the speedo/odo problem.

Anyone experience this issue before?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by moco65
So I start up the vette this morning and get about 1/2 way down the block and notice the "Service Engine Soon" light is on, on the DIC. What's weirder, is I notice the speedometer is reading zero, as is the instant gas mileage readout. Read this way the whole way to work. Good news (?) is the odometer didn't function either, bad news is that nothing stops the dreaded SYS light from flashing... that worked as "normal".

Only other observation was that the car was idling low - around 500 rpm - compared to the usual 900. Seemed to run fine. Never missed. Ran strong.

Will pull codes when I get home, but the curiosity is killing me as to what could cause the speedo/odo problem.

Anyone experience this issue before?
What year? Might want to check battery and connections and alt. maybe speed sensor. Check and clean all grounds

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM
moco65
Advanced

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
What year? Might want to check battery and connections and alt. maybe speed sensor. Check and clean all grounds
Oh... sorry - that would help. It is a '94. New battery and alternator for what it is worth. Will check connections at lunch.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Had a similar problem a few years back on my 92. On mine the culprit was the ECM. Had it rebuilt and that fixed all of the issues.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 PM
moco65
Advanced

Thank you... will pull the codes after dinner and see where that leads...

Thinking it might also be the vehicle speed sensor. We shall see.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Trip to Work... Clues?

Quick Reply: Weird Trip to Work... Clues?