Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:47 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Window tint

Checking to see what the average price for rear window tint would be. I was quoted $90 from one guy and $150 from another. They both do good work. So does one want to rip me off or is the other just a real good price.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Why do you need tint (none of my business, so ignore, if you desire)?

Your pull shade hides items stored in the rear.

Just trying to save you money.........
Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Why do you need tint (none of my business, so ignore, if you desire)?

Your pull shade hides items stored in the rear.

Just trying to save you money.........
and when you take it off it is a pita and can damage defroster lines or antenna.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

If its a daily driver in the south tint is a good idea. Protects the interior and lowers interior temps. That said I only have 1 vehicle out of quite a few that is tinted. But it really does help, just sucks at night.

Price wise? Its what you want to pay and what they want to charge. Theres no "right" price.

You can tint it yourself with cheap stuff for $40.

You can pay a garage to use normal stuff and expect $100 or so.

I have paid $250 to get a truck tinted. That was two side windows and the back glass. The advantage of using that place was :

1. Lifetime warranty.

2. High quality tint like used on office buildings. MUCH lower temps vs cheap tint and far less likely to fade with time or come off.

3. You receive paperwork and a card to show to law enforcement if they want to be ****** proving your tint is within the legal limit. This was actually the reason I went with them mainly
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I think this is another generational gap thing. I can understand that some people like the visibility of no tint. I still remember my grandpa vowing after he backed into a tree that he would never own a vehicle with tint again. I personally think vehicles without tint look silly and I frequently refer to them as fish bowls.

I'm at the complete opposite side of no, or tasteful percentage of tint and I understand most people wouldn't do what I do. I black out all my vehicles to the point no one can see in and I love that I can stare at anyone I want to without having to feel like I shouldn't be LOL. I've never hit anyone or thing because of the tint. If I can't see, I just roll my windows down or stare long enough for my eyes to adjust.

In regards to the tint price. The Camaro and Vette back windows are some of the hardest to tint, so just think of it this way, you get what you pay for. Make sure that they back their work and are willing to redo it if it peels or they leave to big a gaps. Ask to see pictures of past work or whatever they are currently working on.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:05 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Checking to see what the average price for rear window tint would be. I was quoted $90 from one guy and $150 from another. They both do good work. So does one want to rip me off or is the other just a real good price.
$150 is a fair price if they are going to remove all they hardware tint it in 1 piece and reinstall the shocks and and latch, but if they are going to do it in 3 pieces with a seam (hidden in the outer defroster lines on each side) $90 would be more reasonable. just flat out ask them how they are going to tint it.

Last edited by MRPVette; 06-11-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paid $150.00 to have new window tint installed on my '96 CE. The rear hatch was done in 3 pieces (you can't tell). It took about 2 hours.

Here in Florida, I think it's a necessity. I also use the painted top in the Summer, the clear blue top is too hot.

If you have to remove old tint, use Formula 409 cleaner to get the adhesive off. It makes it MUCH easier and no razor is needed, just rags.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to ask the installer what brand of tint they are using. Not all brands are equal. What is the UV rating of the tint? Is the tint metal based or synthetic?

What type of warranty each installer is giving? What is under warranty? Do they cover fading, scratches, defects and peeling?

Anyone can go to an auto parts store and buy 20 dollars worth of film and tint a car and then charge $150. Tint, IMO, is buyer beware.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

It's mostly for looks and I would not go very dark. So what is better, metal or synthetic?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
So what is better, metal or synthetic?
My preference is metal but here is a link that explains it a little bit. Metal based film is more expensive.

You might want to do some other research before you decide.

http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_types.html
Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Metal base hurts cellphone reception and remote start alarm range which I ran into.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
Metal base hurts cellphone reception and remote start alarm range which I ran into.
I would have never thought of that, I'll have to remember that if I ever need to have mine redone or installed on another vehicle.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:02 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I would have never thought of that, I'll have to remember that if I ever need to have mine redone or installed on another vehicle.
It doesn't flat out kill cell phone reception but you can kiss off a bar at least.

Really shortened the range of my remote start which had the antenna in the dash.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents....Here, (R.I.), I was quoted $380 for the rear hatch only, using 3m....I was like WTF!!!!! Kind of a fly by night place also...Went to a 'more reputable place', was quoted $325. Decided I liked the un-tinted look!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy88
Just my 2 cents....Here, (R.I.), I was quoted $380 for the rear hatch only, using 3m....I was like WTF!!!!! Kind of a fly by night place also...Went to a 'more reputable place', was quoted $325. Decided I liked the un-tinted look!!!
Keep shopping they are quoting that high because they dont want the job, they either cant do that window or they would rather take easier jobs.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid in Florida $150 too for the entire car. I found someone good who does the cars for Rogers. I agree the back window has to be done in 3 pieces and you can't tell and the defroster still works fine on my '86. it takes someone special not just the highest price.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Window tint

Quick Reply: Window tint